AKATV

Looking at picking this 2006 Foreman TRX500FM up as a project

Looking at picking up this this 2006 Foreman TRX500FM with 5500 miles

Has a blown u-joint and rear end is pulled, its someones unfinished project

First gear is not acting up and I will replace anyway,s as I need a teardown here...lol

Front bumper cover and skid has minor damages

Tires and plastics are good and engine starts right up-no smoke

Price is a little more than I usually want to pay, but return on these models is good- 2750-3500 in my area, in good shape

Let me know if you would pay 1100.00 for it and what else you might check

Ive done few of these and  think thay are one of Hondas best older designs, especially with the foot shift

Anyways- I NEED something to work on if you know what I mean...having the withdrawals....haha

Let me know what you think, check pics and and let me know what else you see or might check

trx500.jpg

trx5001.jpg

trx5002.jpg

trx5003.jpg

trx5004.jpg

trx5005.jpg

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1

from the looks of those large tires ?, i can see why the drive line is DAO !..LOL. i bought a '05 trx500fm a couple years back, motor was dead, all the drive line was dead, pretty much dead all together. paid 600.00 for it, restored it all back to factory new parts ( cept tires, went with stock size, itp mudlite AT's ), had about 2800 into it , start to finish, sold it to my mail man for 3k cash.

id offer $1,000.00

but if you need a project and are capable that is something to due now if you have the time and all that and its close to where you live?

He wanted 1500, I offered 1000 he said hed do 1100- its only 10 miles down the road

Yeah, I was wondering how the u-joint went out-never had one do that before, I thought these tires were 25 inch but cant tell from pics-

Up here its safe to assume its been sunk at some point and just tear it down anyways, since I am going to have to put first gear in it

The problem we have up here is most streams have glacial silt in them and it dries like concrete powder, if you dont wash it off it, tears up seals

Its basically powdered rock as fine as talcum powder and if you get to churning up the water and it get in the motor, its a teardown for sure

A lot of people dont and just flush it and just drive them, but I have seen the inside of the motors and it the worst abrasive sludge you can imagine

Teardown on these is not costly, a few gaskets and seals as well as the first gear- plus you get the peace of mind of knowing its  a clean,solid motor

I wont pass along or sell anything unless I know its done properly, I usually will put 50-100 miles on bike I redo, just to make sure all is good (and for fun)

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AKATV said:

He wanted 1500, I offered 1000 he said hed do 1100- its only 10 miles down the road

Yeah, I was wondering how the u-joint went out-never had one do that before, I thought these tires were 25 inch but cant tell from pics-

Up here its safe to assume its been sunk at some point and just tear it down anyways, since I am going to have to put first gear in it

The problem we have up here is most streams have glacial silt in them and it dries like concrete powder, if you dont wash it off it, tears up seals

Its basically powdered rock as fine as talcum powder and if you get to churning up the water and it get in the motor, its a teardown for sure

A lot of people dont and just flush it and just drive them, but I have seen the inside of the motors and it the worst abrasive sludge you can imagine

Teardown on these is not costly, a few gaskets and seals as well as the first gear- plus you get the peace of mind of knowing its  a clean,solid motor

I wont pass along or sell anything unless I know its done properly, I usually will put 50-100 miles on bike I redo, just to make sure all is good (and for fun)

tell him 1k cash, i bet he bites !..lol.

so if it was at 1500 and your down to 1100 id go for that,  

its 10 miles to go and get it and then you have something to work on during the stay at home that is going on now.

that is if you have the $$$ to spend on a project.  

I’d get it. 

I busted a ujoint in my 09 once. Was spinning and dropped off in a rut and when it caught it snapped it. 

I gave $1000 for my '05 from a friend and it only wouldn't run. Driveline was good. only had 40ish psi of compression. after a big bore kit, Web cam, HMF pipe, K&N, etc it was good. I think I might have $2800 in it now. I would offer $500, but that is just me. To much broken to have to fix to give a $1000.  I always buy something with flipping it in mind to make money.

Glad to find the u-joints are the same for 300- 350 -400- 450- 500 -I have a couple in my parts box that are in good shape

I think it is a  $500 max  bike here in Louisiana , but different parts of the country get different prices ----- 

32 minutes ago, Chevymec said:

I gave $1000 for my '05 from a friend and it only wouldn't run. Driveline was good. only had 40ish psi of compression. after a big bore kit, Web cam, HMF pipe, K&N, etc it was good. I think I might have $2800 in it now. I would offer $500, but that is just me. To much broken to have to fix to give a $1000.  I always buy something with flipping it in mind to make money.

Only thing broken right now is the u-joint and I have that as well as a first gear kit 

So most of it would just be labor on me-

Im sure I'll find other stuff to fix-but not too worried about it, I have 2 other Foreman 500 projects, an 07 and 09 with freshly redone motors but with with BAD plastics (can find ANY around here in last 2 years)

Not sure what I am going to do with them might sell AS is, might weld up the plastics on those, but that would be a job and half

Edited by AKATV

Anyone know what the defining reason was to what version the Foreman 500 had what color bumper/cover and skidplate?

I have seen black/black, silver/ silver and black/silver...... did not know if there was method to that madness or was a random thing

I am partial to the black on black but my 06, 07, 09 Foreman 500s were silver/silver when I got them and the project I am looking at appears to have

had the front bumper painted black, wont know for sure till i look at it- just was wondering what model were black/black form factory

7 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Anyone know what the defining reason was to what version the Foreman 500 had what color bumper/cover and skidplate?

I have seen black/black, silver/ silver and black/silver...... did not know if there was method to that madness or was a random thing

I am partial to the black on black but my 06, 07, 09 Foreman 500s were silver/silver when I got them and the project I am looking at appears to have

had the front bumper painted black, wont know for sure till i look at it- just was wondering what model were black/black form factory

as far as i know ?, all trx500fm had silver front bumpers on the early manual shift models.

Camo had black bumpers, skid, and engine side plastic covers.

All the other colors had silver bumper, skid, engine side plastic covers.

The power steering bikes got a silver plastic nosecone as well in all the colors but camo

Wow thanks for that, I wonder if maybe the ones that I have seen pictures of might have been Rubicons?

Do they use the same front bumper/cover/skid?

Probably, most others, if the were Foreman 500's were just painted black for a better look, as it matches the rack etc..... I like the black better myself

Most all Foreman 500's I have seen in good shape that are silver color seem to have more rust on the bumper, almost like that paint was not as good as the black type

but maybe the rust just shows up better on the light color.....

Thanks for clearing that up

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1

I’ve painted all mine black. The 2012 Rubicon I just bought was red but had black bumper/ engine covers etc so I’d say at some point they did go to black on some of the non-camo bikes. Pretty sure the 05-11 follow my prior post though 

Ended up walking away on this one---bummer

Luckily I thought to check the oil drain and it was stripped and cracked off

I could of put new (used) cases on it but not for $1100.00

you could tell whole machine was going to need a going through it was rougher in person

oh well, there will another one to look at soon Im sure

• Like 5

10 hours ago, AKATV said:

Ended up walking away on this one---bummer

Luckily I thought to check the oil drain and it was stripped and cracked off

I could of put new (used) cases on it but not for $1100.00

you could tell whole machine was going to need a going through it was rougher in person

oh well, there will another one to look at soon Im sure

well, at least you knew to look it over huh ?, there are tons of buyers that have no clue what to check !!!, i can't stress this enough to buyers/members !. when i was selling my '88 trx300fw, one guy seemed mad ?, HE COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT TO JEW MY PRICE DOWN !!..HAHA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah those stripped drain plugs will ruin your day on the 420's and 500's.  Good catch on that one.

• Like 2