Liam Nixon

Various Issues with ES and Speedometer on 450 Foreman

are you testing continuity from body ground to each point, or point to point on the plug?

When testing you should attach on lead to negative battery lead or solid body ground then use the other to test each point for continuity/no continuuity

For example :

for Reverse, you should have continuity between Ground/Body and the Gr wire, (gray), LG/R wire, (light Green with red stripe), W/G wire (White with green stripe), and LB wire (light blue)

then, just follow the chart down and so on, for the other points

Edited by AKATV

Well that picture is a big help

You should NOT have the Neutral light and Reverse light on at he same time

you have a short or a bad gear switch

I think retro nailed it in his post above when you blew fuses out while riding obviously a short occurred somewhere

in my old electronics school days the teacher said (that most times)

if its a short- its doing something it should not be doing.. (two light on at once etc.....)

If its an open, it wont be doing something that it should be.. (light not coming on)

good rule of thumb (most times)

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Well that picture is a big help

You should NOT have the Neutral light and Reverse light on at he same time

you have a short or a bad gear switch

I tried to write something along with the pictures but it didn't work for some reason, I took pictures in neutral, reverse, 1st, 5th, when I try to start in gear, and when I try to start in neutral, when I try to start in gear is the only time the neutral light disappears, it doesn't start if the gear position switch is unplugged or its in gear, which tells me the gear position seems to be working, am I right? And the "1" that appears is only when I'm in gears 1-4, no other time. It disappears in rev, neutral, and 5th, I will try testing the continuity again however it was only giving me continuity in the specific colour corrosponding to each gear

You should try to bypass the gear switch (unplug it)

then,  directly ground the specific colored wires on the harness side and see if your display responds accordingly(properly)

if it does, you have a wacko gear switch

if it does not,you probably have a short in harness or other issue but i dont at this time think its your speedometer

you could have a short in the harness where the harness might rub on  the frame, handlebars etc 

Edited by AKATV

2 minutes ago, AKATV said:

You should try to bypass the gear switch (unplug it)

then,  directly ground the specific colored wires on the harness side and see if your display responds accordingly(properly)

if it does, you have a wacko gear switch

if it does not,you probably have a short in harness or other issue but i dont at this time think its your speedometer

you could have a short in the harness where the harness might rub on  the frame, handlebars etc 

Sorry I thought I mentioned I did that, yes, I unplugged it and tried to ground it to the same result I got with the gear switch, shows a "1" when 1st us grounded, and "--" in everything else, and still will start when nuetral is grounded 

If you are getting the same results when you unplug the gear switch and are grounding the  proper specific wires on the harness side, then i would say your switch is good and you have a short in the harness,as at no time should your reverse and neutral switch be on at the same time

I would say its time to start looking for a short

Also, have you tried checking the wiring  at your gray speedometer plug where it connects, for shorts in wiring  or damages?

I would try unplugging and cleaning that plug as well

I can talk you thru testing the speedometer at the plug side if you want,

you would need to provide a ground wire and 12vdc to various points at the plug if you are interested

Edited by AKATV

9 hours ago, AKATV said:

If you are getting the same results when you unplug the gear switch and are grounding the  proper specific wires on the harness side, then i would say your switch is good and you have a short in the harness,as at no time should your reverse and neutral switch be on at the same time

I would say its time to start looking for a short

Also, have you tried checking the wiring  at your gray speedometer plug where it connects, for shorts in wiring  or damages?

I would try unplugging and cleaning that plug as well

I can talk you thru testing the speedometer at the plug side if you want,

you would need to provide a ground wire and 12vdc to various points at the plug if you are interested

That would be appreciated, I am leaving for a week and wanted to being the bike, just gonna have to live with it acting like this in the meantime I guess, I'll try to go over it when I get back, just for a point of reference, do you know of any points on the wiring harness where it could easily have shorted out or anything? Or any component such as the change switch that could be causing it? And yes I'd also like to test the speedo due to the fact it's always been inaccurate on things such as the odo and time

On 4/13/2020 at 12:19 PM, Fishfiles said:

eh !!!  --- Close ----  I think,  we here in the USA use to be  a Commonwealth at one time , things changed and I think it all was over a spot of  tea ??? LOL ---  

I am sure we can get a couple of people  on this site right now ,  that has done it ,  to give you the low down of what all needs to be swopped out , I have read the procedure and it doesn't sound too bad at all , I might even be able to pull it off ... 

i'm still in a commonwealth in ky., 4 states, still have this, KY being one or them. dont make no difference, depending on who won the election at the time. just like everywhere else.

some laws are different, but not most.

Edited by LedFTed