retro

DIY Gizmo - Honda ATV Programmable Fan Control Unit

Controller mounting bracket ---- just need to add  two stainless steel self-drilling screws into the fan shroud >>>>  really should un-pin the electrical connection plug to get it thru the existing hole in the fender , going to make sure it all works before doing that or maybe  just put another hole thru the fender big enough to pass the plug thru  

c6yyTU3TQoGJGFQF7uonPQ.jpg

MsMjGMESTFCBgvnzCrizLg.jpg

• Like 2

i like where the monitor is mounted, i may move all mine to the handlebar cross bar, just need to make a plate, but it sure wont be stainless reflective tread plate like in my other photo, i have some stainless plate ... just the right size for all three monitors, so i plan on doing away with the toggle switch, i have controlling the cooling fan. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

really should un-pin the electrical connection plug to get it thru the existing hole in the fender

Unpinning the connector will be difficult because the wires were glued in with Ultra Black to insure the connectors are waterproof forever. 🙂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, retro said:

Unpinning the connector will be difficult because the wires were glued in with Ultra Black to insure the connectors are waterproof forever. 🙂

I noticed how water proofed you made those connectors  ,  so a big hole thru the fender  is what it is going to be >>>> hope to at the least  get the oil sensor installed today 

Not sure I am familiar with Ultra Black , is it a silicone or a weather stripping

Permatex Ultra Black Gasket maker, it is a silicone type sealant. Non-acidic & slow curing means that it is one of the best. 🙂

• Like 1

I still want to make ya a harness extension Fish, it bugs me that ya gotta cut your fender...

Your application is challenging and I am learning from it. I think I'm gonna redesign the gizmo and send ya a downsized, more sensible package. So don't fall in love with that one ya got.... 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, retro said:

I still want to make ya a harness extension Fish, it bugs me that ya gotta cut your fender...

Your application is challenging and I am learning from it. I think I'm gonna redesign the gizmo and send ya a downsized, more sensible package. So don't fall in love with that one ya got.... 🙂

It's all good Retro , don't need an extension ,  I think where I have the controller located  now  is the best spot for it ------ my fender is like Swiss cheese already  ---    no progress , didn't get to work on the atv any yesterday 

• Like 1

I bought a 40A relay here in town so i can complete my power supply build. But it’s a five connector type—that’s all they had. only needed a 4-connector so i will try getting them from Mouser.

Unless i am reading the relay schematic incorrectly @retro, the fan should be connected to pin 87A, with power coming from pin 30 when the relay is energized, and pin 87 left unconnected. Pin 85 and 86 are used to energize the relay. 

E85F2463-5EE4-4883-BA45-781AA51981DB.jpeg

67EDA715-FF49-4E85-A083-A7DE63AB6B62.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m surprised no one found a way to repair the OEM fan controller that tends to crap out on these without having to go this route? Or is there and I just don’t know about it?

• Like 1

I think this project was started to create a temp monitor with readout as well as a fan controller for TRX300. I’m adapting it to my TRX350A

the sensor for these models are NLA

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

I'd have add the oem control unit plus wire harness to control my fan, ^^^^^ so i believe goober is right. plus this has been a very interesting project, goober has baked cdi boxes before and had good results, i don't know if it's ever been tried on the oem fan controller, even if it could be, from what i gather this new controller can also be adjusted to cycle the fan on at  defrent temps which the oem will not do.

• Like 1

I am disappointed to say , I didn't get any head way on installing the Gizmo , been working , been raining , been partying , been tired and stuff been breaking --- 

last night the wife was cooking dinner and the exhaust fan of the microwave , which is over the stove ,  came on mysteriously by it's self and wouldn't turn off , had to unplug it , so now it is microwave man repair service and been told it needs to be down before " her " party this weekend , this house is 11 years old , this will be the 4th microwave , been buying Fridgerdare , might go different brand this go around , who cares if they match ----   two of them were fire damaged by the wife , LOL 

I need to tell this microwave story , it was microwave number two I think , only thing we can figure is , the wife was cooking a baked potato and wanted to hit like 10 minutes and added an extra 0 , so it was 10 hours , forgot about it and when I walked into the kitchen there was a foot of smoke along the top of the ten foot ceilings , when I opened the door the potato looked like a chunk of glowing coal out a fire , I got to say it looked fine , like a glob of molten lava  I used a big spoon and slide it into a plate , took it outside and threw it into the garbage can and sprayed it down with the hose , sprayed it a LOT , that was a mistake on my part , a little while later , sitting at my desk , I see smoke coming out the garbage can on the surveillance cam , almost burned the house down twice with the same potato ---- another time she was warming up them Chinese ribs in the paper box with the metal carrying handle on it , you can't put metal in the microwave --- we have had some bad luck with microwaves 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

and now she's retired and has (almost free range of the bikes) if you don't mind me saying i still think she's a sweetheart, it just reminds me of pinky....I'm not sure how many times you had to work on that bike, i can't exactly recall the  instance, of her ether air born, or had already landed in the mud, kind sounds like that story should  be listed in this day in history thread,  because i sure never will never forget it, I'm knocking the accident at all, I've been there, lol, the mud pond, i got stuck in, will always be with me, got the old trx350 stuck, and me and the bike came out covered in mud, and  smelling  like rockon eggs, 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, freebo86 said:

I’m surprised no one found a way to repair the OEM fan controller that tends to crap out on these without having to go this route? Or is there and I just don’t know about it?

Let me take a shot at this , Retro should be the one describing his creation ---  This Gizmo allows the user to see in real time the temperature of the engine oil on a LED  display and allows the fan's  on and off temps to be set to the users desires and it by-passes the OEM  fan controller , sensor and wiring 

• Like 2

^^^ in layman's terms , I am getting rid of the toggle switches and going automatic with a gauge  ^^^ 

• Like 2

so this measures oil temps ? i thought block temps like mine does, of corse mine are just simple multie meter gauges, but the rpm reading I'd hate to miss. but one is measures from the very bottom of the engine case, the other measures from the head, right next to the exhaust, so I'm very intrested is what y'all find out after fine tuning, and use, one thing i don't like is mine doesnt haven't an oil cooler mod like yours, I'm a big believer in oil coolers, i was thinking .. back, and i think @Wheeler has also planned an oil cooler mod for  his bbk. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

so this measures oil temps ? i thought block temps like mine does, of corse mine are just simple multie meter gauges, but the rpm reading I'd hate to miss. but one is measures from the very bottom of the engine case, the other measures from the head, right next to the exhaust, so I'm very intrested is what y'all find out after fine tuning, and use, one thing i don't like is mine doesnt haven't an oil cooler mod like yours, I'm a big believer in oil coolers, i was thinking .. back, and i think @Wheeler has also planned an oil cooler mod for  his bbk. 

Retro took the oil temperature sensor and gutted it , he bedded  his tech into that housing , that sensor takes the place of the oem sensor which measure oil temperature , so the  temperature of the oil is displayed in degrees F 

• Like 2

so my oem oil temp sencor would be replaced ( gotcha ) hm.... I've have to figure out what to do with that high oil temp light on the dash. that one ill have to figure on. i wonder, if it could be mod for oil pressure ? i know it would be considered as a dummy light, like back in the day, cause most time when that light fashed, the engine was was done, but these are ball bearing engines, so. an oil pressure system could be tapped in and oil cooler circuit, you did that mod on a wood splitter, and it worked great, so i could see this being on a honda. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

@_Wilson_™ I’ve been running a CB650 motorcycle oil cooler since I built this engine in 2016. Keeps the temps down for sure! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Goober said:

Unless i am reading the relay schematic incorrectly @retro, the fan should be connected to pin 87A, with power coming from pin 30 when the relay is energized, and pin 87 left unconnected. Pin 85 and 86 are used to energize the relay. 

The fan motor lead should be connected to #87, which is NO (Normally Open) until the relay coil energizes to close the circuit between #30 and #87.

These are the relays that I buy and use in the gizmo... they are good quality relays (not garbage like typical china parts are) and are priced fairly cheap at $8.40 shipped for 4 of them:

4 LOT TEMCo INDUSTRIAL 12 V 30/40 Amp Bosch Style S Relay SPDT Automotive (eBay)

16 hours ago, freebo86 said:

The OEM fan controller is garbage, no point in trying to keep that junk alive & functional. This custom FCU gizmo was dreamed up while @wheelsquadand I were discussing all of the faults & shortcomings the OEM FCUs have, on another failing forum. wheelsquad asked if there was anything that we could do to solve the most critical issues the OEM controllers have, so I went to work designing & testing my own circuit ideas, then we discovered the STM8S micro-controller boards and realized that all of the solutions to our questions already existed in those cheap boards. Thats when the current gizmo was envisioned and built.

Some of the problems with the OEM FCUs that we set out to solve are listed in the first post of this thread. But there are many more advantages & features provided by the microcontroller solution than is obvious, most importantly it is very high precision.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

so this measures oil temps ?

Yes, motor oil temperature is all that it measures and monitors. The oil temp is displayed in realtime while the key is on and the micro-controller provides automated functions that the user fully controls independently of one-another, along with providing alarm functions to alert the user of faults or overheating motor oil.

It looks like a one-trick pony in our implementation, but it ain't... the gizmo would work equally well for monitoring and controlling coolant temp in liquid-cooled motors, or could be used to control refrigeration or air conditioning systems by toggling just one option in the parameter menu.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

so my oem oil temp sencor would be replaced ( gotcha ) hm.... I've have to figure out what to do with that high oil temp light on the dash. that one ill have to figure on. i wonder, if it could be mod for oil pressure ? i know it would be considered as a dummy light, like back in the day, cause most time when that light fashed, the engine was was done, but these are ball bearing engines, so. an oil pressure system could be tapped in and oil cooler circuit, you did that mod on a wood splitter, and it worked great, so i could see this being on a honda. 

We could do just that! But that's another project... ya game for making it happen? 🙂

• Like 1

Gizmo installation :

Well I got something accomplished this evening and it was the hardest part of the installation of parts so far , I installed the oil temperature  sensor , I had to take off the belly pan to get at it , which was the hard part ,  my floorboards have two bolts that go thru the belly pan , thru the floor board brackets  and have self locking nuts , and it was not  cleaned of the mud before I started this job, had 5 pounds of mud on top the pan , and my 450 is unique in that ,as there is not only the hydraulic rear brake tubing in the way  , but also the reverse lock out by-pass  link are both right in that area of the sensor ----- got the new  sensor in and I got new  oil back into the engine  ----  

Going to leave the belly pan off till I see the Gizmo work and to make sure there is no oil leak as I emery paper the copper crush washer on the sensor ( don't doubt Retro's work , just learned it's  bad luck to sew up the patient before he takes that first breath )

Now to route the sensor wire , muffler/pipe  is on the left side of the engine , so I think the right side is the way to go , thinking of strapping it to the oil cooler hose and cover them both in wire loom 

Retro , I am saving the old sensor for you to use on one of your next projects 

• Like 2

oh it was just an idea, i thought maybe someone had a better use for it ? besides, I'm really enjoying your controller unit build!, with what i have going on, it would be a while before i could even get started..... my thinking would be a simple oil pressure switch, hooked in the oil line that sends oil to upper engine (cam shaft / rocker box area. that way if the light did go off (come on)  you'd have time to shut the engine off before any damage accured, or any ideas in changes to this ???? i was just thinking outside the box.... lol.

anyways ... thank you retro, pardon me for the slight topic change.