retro

DIY Gizmo - Honda ATV Programmable Fan Control Unit

It sure does sound like fun! I'd like to get on video conference chats with members as well. We could share roundtable discussions of sorts... solve the world's problems and help fellow members fix their ATVs live... members could create howto teardown/assembly vids and just find more reasons to have fun. 🙂

• Like 2

By the way, we can set up our own collaboration server separate from our forums for various sharing purposes if we wish, including hosting for our own video conferences and howto video libraries. We don't need google or youtube for any of that stuff... we are DIY here.... so our independence and freedom can be maintained.

Lets see if Xenforo is gonna fly or not with members 1st though... the collaboration/co-operation server stuff can be added on and maintained separately from our existing infrastructure, so as to not affect our forum operations.

• Like 2

VIP Lounge , by invitation only , sign a waiver at the door " no hurt feelings will be tolerated "  !!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi guys I have a 89 Forman. My fan never comes on, but truthfully I never really ride the machine very hard. Mostly use it to pull a trailer around my property to clean up and bring in fire wood. Would it be possible to purchase one of your gizmos when you start production ?...thanks Jack 

5 hours ago, Jpsbgt said:

Would it be possible to purchase one of your gizmos when you start production ?

Yup! I have ordered a Prusa i3 MK3S+ (gotta wait about 4 weeks for the order to be filled & delivered from Czechoslovakia) so we're probably looking at about two months out. Keep an' eye on this thread for updates.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, retro said:

Yup! I have ordered a Prusa i3 MK3S+ (gotta wait about 4 weeks for the order to be filled & delivered from Czechoslovakia) so we're probably looking at about two months out. Keep an' eye on this thread for updates.

I spent a little time on the Gizmo installation  this evening , started routing wires , my you got some heavy gauge wire for a power supply ---------- then grand daughters' bike threw a chain and I had to do a repair , which turned in to modifications to the training wheels , airing the tires and lubing it up , the no-see'ems came out in full force  and it was over 

Czech Republic , eh , did you know my heritage is ,  what ever you want to call it  , Yugoslavian , Slavonian or Croatian all the same 

• Like 4

Sorry about that fat power cable... it was all I had on hand so I went with it after a seller on eBay sent me the wrong order.

The Slovakian region folks are hardy & smart and hard workers too! Josep Prusa, the man who created Prusa 3D printers (#1 sellers in the world) is younger than my daughter is. He gots some giddyup go!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I spent a little time on the Gizmo installation  this evening , started routing wires , my you got some heavy gauge wire for a power supply ---------- then grand daughters' bike threw a chain and I had to do a repair , which turned in to modifications to the training wheels , airing the tires and lubing it up , the no-see'ems came out in full force  and it was over 

Czech Republic , eh , did you know my heritage is ,  what ever you want to call it  , Yugoslavian , Slavonian or Croatian all the same 

Hi Fish:  My dad was born in Czechoslovakia -- 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, retro said:

Sorry about that fat power cable... it was all I had on hand so I went with it after a seller on eBay sent me the wrong order.

The Slovakian region folks are hardy & smart and hard workers too! Josep Prusa, the man who created Prusa 3D printers (#1 sellers in the world) is younger than my daughter is. He gots some giddyup go!

They like to party and eat well , work hard and would give you the shirt off their back , good people , LOL 

• Like 1

Just now, Melatv said:

Hi Fish:  My dad was born in Czechoslovakia -- 

Hey Mel , maybe that is why we see eye to eye  a lot of times , my Great Grandfather was born in Yugoslavia and came to Buras , Louisiana in 1899 and was an oyster fisherman and trapper  , who raised 13 children at a camp on the water 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, retro said:

That is some beautiful wire , I don't think I will have any problems with voltage drop !!!

• Haha 2

I am moving way too slowly on my end.

i have to say that just rebuilding the oil temp sensor looks great. I am collecting data points right now for two temp sensors I rebuilt following @retro directions. Looking at .94 KOhms at 200F-204F which is the high end of fan activation temp—on descending temps. For the low end, 1.05 KOhm is 193F.

i haven’t built my power supply yet, but I’m planning to rebuild two more sensors with short wires for immediate install on my 86s!!! Woo Hoo!!

this would be an immediate replacement for the two wire TRX350A!!!

380053D8-7F62-4899-9BCF-D2733DADE397.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 3

Did a few more test points trying to heat the oil more slowly so the thermistor could stabilize at the oil temperature. Each oil sensor has a stamping so I could record more easily. A has a wee bit higher resistance curve but they both have the same upper end point:
They both start out pretty slowly—

A was 10.17KOhm at 85F

B was 9.6KOhm at 88F; 13KOhm at 75F

B reached the typical fan activation R-value (1.05 KOhm) at 202F, A at 212F. OEM would be 212F.

Both are 231 Ohms at 313F (should be R-value to activate the oil light). On an OEM sensor, the temp would be higher—338F.

Both rebuilt sensors seem to have a temp curve very close to the OEM curve except for the bottom.

i need to pay closer attention to details during my assembly. I was pretty sloppy about potting the sensors. But excited to try them out and finish the two power supplies!

Edited by Goober
  • Like 3

Littlefuse publishes an R/T tables spreadsheet on their site in case ya like to have spec references. (https://www.littelfuse.com/products/temperature-sensors/leaded-thermistors/interchangeable-thermistors/standard-precision-ps/ps103j2.aspx)

They guarantee interchangeability, which means that every sensor (when assembled in the exact same configuration) provides "Interchangeability tolerance of ±0.1°C or ±0.2°C from 0-70°C". Duplicating assembly of every sensor is very difficult though. Precise measurements are difficult to achieve too, using consumer-grade equipment & a poor-boy stovetop laboratory like we are using. Attached are the PS103J2 thermistor R/T tables saved as a PDF file.

Littelfuse_Leaded_Thermistors_Interchangeable_Thermistors_PS103J2_RT_Table.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

😎 Here’s a performance chart based on my stovetop and clumsy assembly methods.

wow that table will be very helpful—the case and potting affect heat transfer, so I’ll have to make sure i use the same potting material.

I would like to plot those specs.

Wanted to see my sensors getting to 0.95 KOhm before 212F and to 209 Ohm before 338F👍🏻

228D4CFF-D5A7-4CF0-9282-0CD3586B4E8E.png

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

Here’s same graph plotting the thermistor data; throughout the range there’s an average of 400 Ohms more resistance in my rebuilt sensors compared to the manufacturer’s data. This narrows to an average of 200 ohms from 160F to 300F. 
exactly what you mentioned @retro my assembly methods will affect reproducibility of sensor performance.

B458A896-2339-425C-8555-6BD54A20B233.png

• Like 1

Ya gotta admit though, that those are both pretty good looking oil temp sensors Goober!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I’m loving it actually; can’t get new sensors for the TRX350A or TRX250. But you figured out a way for us to rebuild them. I’m gonna toast you with a glass of Balvenie later.

i can make this spreadsheet available to anyone who wants to map their sensor, new, used, rebuilt.

• Like 2

The temp sensor Retro sent me is much heavier duty  looking than the OEM , I got the sensor  screwed into the engine and new oil back in the engine , still have to get the skid plate back on and wire it up ---  can't wait to try it 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 10:40 AM, Jpsbgt said:

Hi guys I have a 89 Forman. My fan never comes on, but truthfully I never really ride the machine very hard. Mostly use it to pull a trailer around my property to clean up and bring in fire wood. Would it be possible to purchase one of your gizmos when you start production ?...thanks Jack 

Jack first make sure your fan is hooked up. Take that oil sensor lead off and ground it to the footpeg. Fan and oil light should come on.

I revised my Excel spreadsheet to allow any user to print and fill out a data collection sheet on legal sized paper—and input the data into the plotter at a later time. Alternatively one could input the data directly into the spreadsheet. I forgot to mention these fan and overheat specs are from 86-89 TRX350 service manual—but may be app’l to later sensors.

851E32D8-903E-4317-9E1A-C72718772305.png

9620862E-7F4F-43A4-9BC0-A9855ED865D9.png

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

hey @retro

what size heat shrink you recommend for thermistor leads? Nice use of shrink to bind them too!

image.png

Edited by Goober