retro

DIY Gizmo - Honda ATV Programmable Fan Control Unit

23 minutes ago, retro said:

I agree Jeep, I shouldn't be such a wuss, might learn sumthin' new too!

But I live off-grid so life and work is different. The nearest utility pole is 1.25 miles away, so I gotta start my generator whenever I need to use many of my power tools. Half of my smaller power tools I've converted from battery packs to 13.5 volts with cords soldered into them, so I can just plug those into the wall when I need them... they run off my solar power supply/battery bank. But I own many tools, such as my two Dremels and my two drill presses that I am using every day on this gizmo project that can't be converted to run on DC.... my generator is a 1976 year model portable Miller welder mounted on a small trailer, I don't ever uncover it to start that bugger while its raining or snowing. I care for it a bit too much (my exgirlfriend claims I care more about my tools than ever I cared for her, haha..), its been bulletproof all those years, its still in nearly mint condition and probably cannot be replaced nowadays, at any price.

Thats why I always refuse to work on rain days. And probably explains my lazy streak too. 🙂

Hey I've been hitting the snooze button going on two weeks when that early morning alarm goes off.  My shop is feeling very abandoned in the early mornings.

• Like 1

No point in putting off 'till tomorrow what I can post today eh.

This button strip frame/LED display window is what I am working on right now. The frame/window is fashioned from .120" thick smoke-tinted polycarbonate sheet. I like making smoke tinted windows cause it darkens/hides the display digits when key is off. This is the Polycase key fob enclosure that I buy to rob the button strips from.

fob.png

I buy that fob because it has the only silicone rubber button strip that I can find that has buttons spaced apart at the correct distance to match up with the three tactile switches on the W1209 boards. I trim the 4th button off flush with the strip using a razor blade like so.... this particular button strip was yanked from my first gizmo build after I decided to trash it and build a much improved unit for @wheelsquad.

buttons.png

Ok, now that you see how I get 3 buttons from a 4 button strip, lets talk about the smoke tinted polycarbonate window frame that I am making for Fishfile's build. Below is a pic showing cut outs from the sheet of smoke-tinted poly. These are .120" thick which provides a perfect sandwiched fit between the top cover and the W1209 board. This frame is ready for trimming and fitting into the gizmo enclosure, its almost done. 🙂

I'll show ya later on how I bond the window to the W1209 digital display using LOCA.

frame.png

Here is how the completed frame supports a button strip.

frame2.png

And here is how the finished product might look once the button strip and frame are sealed into the top cover, only this one for Fish will be a lot better looking. 🙂

This pic shows the cover that I scrapped out to demonstrate where we are going when it stops raining.

frame-window2.png

I'll post more detailed pics of the fabbing processes as I finish that frame up for this build. We'll be punching holes and dremeling out button holes and window port in the display enclosure next.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Hey I've been hitting the snooze button going on two weeks when that early morning alarm goes off.  My shop is feeling very abandoned in the early mornings.

You still run circles around me though!

27 minutes ago, retro said:

You still run circles around me though!

Yep, installing these parts that you rebuild is tough!

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2020 at 2:13 PM, retro said:

Hey Retro

tried to quote your picture but didn’t do it right.

I saw the window you made but what did the display enclosure cover come from? 

14 minutes ago, Goober said:

I saw the window you made but what did the display enclosure cover come from? 

That was the cover from the first gizmo I made last year. The prototype.... haha...  I wasn't happy with it, it was obsolete after I learned from it and made the 2nd and 3rd gizmos way better, so I scrapped it out. I learned so much while building those first two gizmos that I just couldn't allow that 1st effort to live. 🙂

The third gizmo build went on Wheelsquad's Rancher 400AT. By then I had the materials & assembly methods down pat. In fact, the 2nd (for my Rancher) and 3rd are identically made except for the mounting brackets on the back of the displays. I build aluminum mounting brackets to suit the bike and owner's mounting location preference, based on owner supplied photos, so no two display mounts have been the same so far.

I been trying to think up a universal mounting bracket design but all of my ideas have turned out to be less than desirable so far. If any of y'all got any tips on how to improve these buggers please hollar!

Its still raining here folks. Forecast is for rain most of the day on Wednesday too, so it looks like I'll be idle until Thursday.

• Like 2

Retro , read the nearest power pole to you is 1.25 miles away , did you ever get a price on them running power to you ? It must be an astronomical amount of money to do that ...

I don't have cable TV to my house , it is a tad bit over 400 ft to the road that has cable , they told me it would be  $8,000 to run it 400 ft to  my house , because they say it needs to be  "key" wire for any distance over 300 ft , told me to split it with my neighbors , but there is only two of us on this entire street 

• Like 1

Mounting could be double stick tape on the back side the display box , or even 2 pieces of that Velcro sticky back tape and then it would be removable , that stuff is pretty good these days 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

did you ever get a price on them running power to you ? It must be an astronomical amount of money to do that ...

I can only wonder.... if the poles were moved any closer I'd sell out and buy something more remote. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Mounting could be double stick tape on the back side the display box , or even 2 pieces of that Velcro sticky back tape and then it would be removable , that stuff is pretty good these days

That's plan B if my bracket don't work. Haha... 🙂

• Like 1

Another way to create a universal mount , did you ever see these snap mounts , they come with a variety of cell phone and bicycle accessories , you screw down a base and there is a piece that attaches to what ever it is your mounting up , it will then snap on and off , some have a joint to change the angle 

• Like 1

You mention  4/40 threads , so yesterday I looked in my taps to see what I had , and found a very old school wooden tube looks like a mini cigar tube with 9 brand new , never used , USA made 4/40 taps , must have been my Grandfather's as he was an electrician ,   and then I got quite a few loose ones , I don't know if I ever used a 4/40 tap before in my life and have about 15 of them , I need to send you 1/2 a dozen for your new Gizmo's Are US business adventure   ...  

Oh , and I might have a challenge of project for you , which might take off , a complete dash display , one that would solve some problems and create new features , it could control the ES functions , fan functions , maybe incorporate a digital speed display using the speed sensors , oil temp display , gear indicator , 4wd light , make it plug and play  

• Like 2

I like your idea! That'd be a dandy set of gizmos for old bikes! But then I realized that I'd have to get up in the morning and work. Ain't gonna happen... :-)

2 minutes ago, retro said:

I like your idea! That'd be a dandy set of gizmos for old bikes! But then I realized that I'd have to get up in the morning and work. Ain't gonna happen... 🙂

Hire a bunch of Ca'nacks apprentices , sit back drink coffee and mange the place , past them skills on .... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Retro , read the nearest power pole to you is 1.25 miles away , did you ever get a price on them running power to you ? It must be an astronomical amount of money to do that ...

I don't have cable TV to my house , it is a tad bit over 400 ft to the road that has cable , they told me it would be  $8,000 to run it 400 ft to  my house , because they say it needs to be  "key" wire for any distance over 300 ft , told me to split it with my neighbors , but there is only two of us on this entire street 

what company was that? I built a house 12 years ago that sits a little over 400 ft from the cable run. That was back when Comcast had a local service office where you could walk in and sit down with the boss, which I did. They told me the same thing; will require a hard line, will cost a bit, etc etc. But then after a few minutes the guy looks up at me and says, “I tell you what I’ll do. If you’ll sign up for TV & internet, I’ll run the line for free.” So that’s what we did. 12 years later, I still have the internet but not the TV. 

• Like 3

My Mouser order got kicked back to 26 June.  This gives me some time to read your notes and put some thought into how to mount it. 

There’s quite a few I-phone holders esp by Ram mounts. I use the X mount with the ball adapter. could ya get it into an IPhone clone box?

maybe a fishfinder or gps mount

https://www.rammount.com/

i like there bar grip mount balls mated  with an extender.

9870FFD6-CC80-4B3A-8679-E5A5A23BE6A7.jpeg

987841C5-C0B8-4C38-B422-3D4746D3B12F.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, KoolBreeze said:

what company was that? I built a house 12 years ago that sits a little over 400 ft from the cable run. That was back when Comcast had a local service office where you could walk in and sit down with the boss, which I did. They told me the same thing; will require a hard line, will cost a bit, etc etc. But then after a few minutes the guy looks up at me and says, “I tell you what I’ll do. If you’ll sign up for TV & internet, I’ll run the line for free.” So that’s what we did. 12 years later, I still have the internet but not the TV. 

Directv / ATT

@retro

i see i read above it’s a Bud HH-3641 enclosure, which i did order from Mouser. BTW they are back ordered on the electrolytic capacitor and ALQ309

i copied your texts and printed them out—easier for me to read thataway. i wonder if it’s the same size as a GPS device. Do you have a tech writer assigned? If not can I volunteer to compile it into a report or manual for you?

are there any other enclosures you want to try? Ram distributor usually sets up a booth during our late summer hoohah so i can try out any enclosure on their products.

Goober , that cell phone holder gizmo you got on your handle bar , is that painted silver plastic ??? 

Hey Fish no those outriggers are stainless 

oh but yeah the housing is like high impact plastic 

i can send you the smaller one if you want to try

it fits iPhone 5

Edited by Goober

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

Hey Fish no those outriggers are stainless 

oh but yeah the housing is like high impact plastic 

i can send you the smaller one if you want to try

it fits iPhone 5

Wow , stainless steel , then that is the best quality holder  I ever seen ... 

Thanks for the offer Goober , when I am riding ,  I my phone is  inside  a water proof case , then  inside a water proof box , and should maybe put it in a zip lock !!!

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

fish, you can't wrong with ram mounts ... best oit there IMO .

With a name like RAM you can't go wrong , they are the best trucks , LOL 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goober said:

could ya get it into an IPhone clone box?

Got no idea. If the iPhone box is 3/4" thick it should stuff in there. Gotta be able to seal it up watertight is all.

1 hour ago, Goober said:

Do you have a tech writer assigned? If not can I volunteer to compile it into a report or manual for you?

Tech writer? Whats dat? LOL. Have at it if ya want to, could use a proper inglesh editor. 🙂

As far as enclosures and other ideas go, I'm all ears. The Bud HH-3641 might be tough to beat tho, its pretty tiny and cheap.

I'll look up alternate part numbers for the PCB mount relay and two capacitors later on. We can update those affected posts I think.