FarmboySC

Honda 300 Fourtrax 1999 4x4

Still working on my battery issue. Took battery out of 4wheeler and charged and it held like 13.2 volts for 24 hours so I guess I have something draining my battery when sitting while not riding. Charging system is working when tested. Between 14 and 15 volts. So I need to start checking for source of draining

I moved your thread here, each section has its own spot, question section is for forum topics, not atvs :-).

any add-on lights, switches ?, winch ?, nothing should drain the battery unless something is on ?.

How long does it take it to drain the battery? Shade took care of my next question.

i would unplug the regulator/rectifier and see if it still has a draw. Did you test with a meter to verify a draw?

if you have any power on even when the key is off ?, then something is on somewhere ?, maybe ignition key is bad ?. there should not be any lights on the dash at all when key is off

3 minutes ago, FarmboySC said:

The battery dies in 24 hours

if by this ^^^, are you saying when riding atv, the battery goes down, and wont start the atv ?, if this is the case ?, then your stator or reg/rec is bad. one or both in this case can cause this.

if its not a bad stator or reg/rec ?, then you have a bad cell in the battery.

Just now, FarmboySC said:

Disconnected ground cable from battery and did an amp check and it is showing a drain

battery cant drain when ground is unhooked, without ground, no power will flow from battery.

look to see if any extra wires are running from battery to ground that was added on ?.

With your meter hooked up showing a draw just unplug a few things and see if it goes away. There isn't much on the 300 system so it should be easy to trace down.

1 minute ago, FarmboySC said:

On checking the battery drain I took ground cable off and put meter leads on ground cable and ground post on battery

all you did here is complete the circuit, in other words, your doing the same thing as if the ground cable is still connected to battery.

Your doing it right to compete the circuit and meter the amps being drawn. The most logical thing hooked to the battery besides the key switch is the regulator so that's what I would disconnect first. Connector is right in front of the battery so it should be the easiest. It might just be moisture in that connector giving issues.

1+ regulator/rectifier may have a shorted diode inside it. Unplug it to verify. You are testing for current draw correctly using your multimeter, don't do it any differently.

Also check (unplug) the diode that protects the CDI from voltage spikes from the solenoid. Its up front in the junction box I think..?

EDIT:

I can't remember... does 300s have a small diode in the Neutral light circuit like the old TRX350s had?

If so check that using a multimeter. Current should flow only one direction through a diode.