DuckOfDeath

Picked up some TRX350's

Hey Guys!  Been busy but now I'm back.

Sold my motorcycle a few weeks ago.  That gave me room in the garage and some extra spending cash to start piecing together another 87 350D for my wife to ride. 

Some background:  Over the last couple years I've held back some choice parts from the occasional parts bikes I can't help but snatch up to make some extra cash.. Had a frame, bottom end, cylinder head, wiring harness, along with a few odds and ends like plastic trim pieces and headlamp. Needed a rear end, jug, and a gas tank before starting the build.  Anyhow,  last fall I came across a bike with a rear end that I couldn't sell because it needed to be rebuilt. Got a shop press and worked on it in my very limited free time the last few months. Recently came across a bored over cylinder with aftermarket piston, so I started the build.  Did some motor testing with the CDI out of my bike and a plastic tank that leaks if there's more than 3" of gas in it. I'm in serious need of some plastics.  I have like 5 sets but they all suck. BAD. Anyhow, I got sick of waiting for more parts bikes, so I put an add on Facebook titled "Wanting to Buy Old Honda ATV's" and posted a picture of my 350D.  Since then I've picked up 3 more bikes. An 87 350D for $300 with a good rear end, motor, CDI, plastic tank, and a kickstart side cover!  A '99 Honda Recon 250 that's missing the carb and has a broken airbox tube.  I wouldn't normally consider such a bike but I got it for $75. Besides the missing carb it's completely intact with excellent plastics.  Today, I picked up an 86 TRX350 for $250 with possibly the most cracked up plastics I'd ever seen and missing many parts, including nearly every trim piece.  Guy said the gas tank looked good though with a working cap, so I said wth. I have another 86 on a good frame with wiring harness, CDI, ignition, and motor that's just a starter gear set away from running good again.  Was thinking of piecing together an 86 for a quick flip.  Anyhow, I'm looking over this abused 86 and found that except for the broken plastics and missing parts, a lot of looks absolutely mint. I've never seen wiring, hardware, tie rods, shocks, etc. look so good.  The tank was empty (never a good sign) and when I poured some gas in, it started flooding out the bottom, splashing all over my feet. Looked under to find the drain plug is gone. I've never been so happy to discover a missing part!  The seat had a newer dark grey cover that matches my 87 better,IMG_20200419_133833999_HDR.jpg so I've already swapped it over to my "A" bike.  I still can't decide if I should restore it or what to do with it. I know I want the shocks but the differentials look so good I'd be foolish to part this thing out. 

Anyhow, I'll post updates on my wife's rig and what becomes of this one as I go/decide.

IMG_20200419_133759002_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200419_133816782_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200419_133752571.jpg

IMG_20200419_133809396.jpg

• Like 2

Wow! Smokin' deal ya got there on that 86!

• Like 1

Wow nice job there Duck. You sure love those 87D models.

i favor those 86s that one you got is nice looked like it was robbed of a few common parts and some hard to find like the headlight bucket 

i have had one of those rear cooler carriers for about five years—the welded wire logo was bent and i tried to straighten it—broke it right out and looked just like yours.

i got it welded yesterday and took a pic for you

80F101EF-51D0-45F5-8183-648C9EA2DD29.jpeg

• Like 1

I like the 86's too.  Next to the 87's I think they look the best.  I've never cared for the lighter grey trim pieces, side vents and Foreman decals on the 88-89 models.  But the black on red of the 86's is sharp as !.  I've got everything needed to get this 86 running, I believe. But I don't think I'll ever come across some worthy enough plastics for it. I'm kicking myself because I sold a great 86 tool box and lid a few months ago. I had an airbox cover listed on ebay but removed the listing while driving home with this.  I have a headlight/bucket for it and an ignition/housing already. I'll probably just get it running, put some less cracked up, but sun faded 86 plastics I have on it. Then, I'll put it on a back burner, while I keep my eyes open for some plastics and front bumper for it. It's going to be hard not to rob the shocks and rear end to put on my "A" bike.  I'm always looking to improve on it and this 86 has many items that would do just that. I'm not sure what you're talking about with the rear carrier, but I'll check it out in the daylight tomorrow. That's a logo?

Looks nice Duck!   I saw your WTB ad, and figured you were getting back into project mode.

I have some odds and ends down here, but my plastics are all rough, and the 350's I have were all missing the little odds and ends like side covers. 

That 86 is a jewel for sure though.  Definitely hold onto that one until you find some nice plastic for it! 

I've never seen adjustable shocks on a 350......

Hey Jeep! Yeah, back in project mode for sure now that it's warm enough to spend time on the water but not quite warm enough to be on the water. 

I thought all the 350 shocks were adjustable. Pretty sure the dozen or so I have all are

36 minutes ago, DuckOfDeath said:

Hey Jeep! Yeah, back in project mode for sure now that it's warm enough to spend time on the water but not quite warm enough to be on the water. 

I thought all the 350 shocks were adjustable. Pretty sure the dozen or so I have all are

Well admittedly I haven't looked that closely at mine.  I'll have to take a better look at them!

My "wanted to buy" add paid off again today. Picked up another 86, but it's for a co-worker who's been bugging me to sell him one. He doesn't understand that I can get more from the collective parts than to sell one for 6-$700. I picked it up for $660. Guy wanted $750 but I talked him down to $680 before I left the house. Talked him down another $20 when he was unable to get it started without using carb spray in the intake. (he told me it was running beforehand) It's complete except for the toolbox and kickstart cover.  Has good tires, battery, and gas tank. I'm going to rebuild the carb and send it. Not making anything on it...Co-worker gave me the cash to go check it out and pick up.  He doesn't care much about what it looks like - he just wants a 4x4 to haul deer out of the woods.  I didn't think I could make anything on it at that price and the plastics are beat up to the point I wouldn't use them on my 86 restore.  I did kind of want the front rack/bumper, wheels,, tires, and battery, but not enough to pay $660 for it.

Got the 87 I'm building for the wife up and running today.  I had pulled the head and cylinder to investigate a knocking noise.  Thought I might have put the oversized wisco piston in backwards or something but everything checked out. Doesn't seem to be making the noise now so I'm not sure what was going on. Still have a lot to do on it though - brakes will take the longest.  She won't ride without good brakes.

Also started pulling apart the 86 I got last fall.  I was bummed to find the head has a broken bolt thread hole.  Motor ran fine and I didn't notice it until I went to remove the rocker cover. I can usually get $165 for them, but I hate selling crap. At least the rocker cover and cam are good. Still might list it cheap and let people decide if it's worth installing.  I guess if you had a chewed up head you'd be better off with this one. One bolt short probably won't matter - it's just holding the head cover on after all.

I work nights now as production maintenance at the local chicken processing plant.  Need to stay up late tonight so I can sleep tomorrow before my next shift.  Good thing I have plenty to do in the garage!

Edited by DuckOfDeath
  • Like 2

sounds like you want to punish yourself rounding up parts !..lol.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, shadetree said:

sounds like you want to punish yourself rounding up parts !..lol.

It's a labor of love. I keep the parts that complete or improve my bikes and sell the rest that are worth anything on eBay to get more $ for additional parts bikes.

When it's all said and done, I'll have two 87's and an '86.  Largely for free,except the hours spent building and selling.

Edited by DuckOfDeath
  • Like 1

you wouldn't happen to have an extra ignition switch for a 1987 trx350D foreman would ya ?, with a oem key !..lol.

Sorry, Shadetree. Only have the one I'm using for my current build. I've been holding onto it for over 2 years. I tried selling it on eBay once with the housing and lights for $75 when ya'll told me they were discontinued and the aftermarket ones sold for all years wouldn't be right. Anyhow, it never sold, thankfully. I'm assuming the aftermarket ones can be made to work or it would have sold in the 6 months I had it listed.

I do have an oem for an 86 but I'll need that one too now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DuckOfDeath said:

Sorry, Shadetree. Only have the one I'm using for my current build. I've been holding onto it for over 2 years. I tried selling it on eBay once with the housing and lights for $75 when ya'll told me they were discontinued and the aftermarket ones sold for all years wouldn't be right. Anyhow, it never sold, thankfully. I'm assuming the aftermarket ones can be made to work or it would have sold in the 6 months I had it listed.

I do have an oem for an 86 but I'll need that one too now.

np, '87 has 4 wires, all the other have 5-6 wires, so be warned if yours is different !..lol.

i'll find one..sooner or later..lol, not in a rush at all, just love to get all my ducks in a row , so when the time comes to '' dig in '' ?, i'l be locked and loaded !..rofl.

My 87's are both OEM. Sounds like the aftermarket would work just fine in a pinch though. I'm like you though, I want OEM wherever be possible.

4 minutes ago, DuckOfDeath said:

My 87's are both OEM. Sounds like the aftermarket would work just fine in a pinch though. I'm like you though, I want OEM wherever be possible.

i've got some parts bikes to go through back out at my buds place, surely one of the '87's has a oem ignition switch ?..lol. too bad its not fenders ?..i got extra fenders !..lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

grrrrr....dont make me take your stupid pills away from you bro !..rofl. that is the same switch i purchased, same seller...BUT !!!!, NOTICE THE WIRE COUNT ??.. the 1987 trx350D model calls for 4 wires, not 5-6 !. i got my refund, and clearly had to make the same point to the seller, IT DOES NOT FIT THE 1987 TRX350D model !.

Beat me to it Shadetree. The D's use a part number ending in 750 or 751 for the lockset/ignition. Dude probably won't change it because they're not available and people can get them to work if it's their only option, I'm sure.

7 hours ago, DuckOfDeath said:

Beat me to it Shadetree. The D's use a part number ending in 750 or 751 for the lockset/ignition. Dude probably won't change it because they're not available and people can get them to work if it's their only option, I'm sure.

i got my refund, he said in his reply that ebay wont let them change their ad to say '' will not fit ''..hmmm...lol. i smell a sale rat !..lol.

• Like 1

Tearing down one 87 to help complete the wife's tonight. Got the rebuilt rear end in today and took it out for a test drive. Thinking of putting on the blue fenders I have. I have both red side covers and no blue ones, but I'm thinking of saving the red ones to go on the 86 I'll start on next. Might try out the Maier side covers in blue. She wouldn't know OEM if it bit her.

IMG_20200427_171050761.jpg

• Like 2

So I picked up a decent looking blue 87 yesterday and am grabbing what I need off it.  Looking it over, I almost hate to part it out.  It has some issues, but nothing that can't be fixed.  I got a guy who contacted me from Michigan who wants to come buy a good running bike, So I'll probably throw one together for him.  This one is a good candidate. Anyhow, it came with an aftermarket ignition that wasn't working and I thought of Shadetree and this thread.  I'm not about to spend any money if I don't have to and this ignition had two keys and looks like new.  Took the round contact plate out and found one of the contacts had practically dissolved away. Found an old ignition switch I had for an 87 with no key and the wires cut. Put that contact plate in the aftermarket key set and soldered an OEM sub harness to it.  Good as new, and only cost me some blood when I stabbed myself in the hand taking one of the ignition switches apart :)IMG_20200516_233254631.jpg

97241902_10217237011533559_6531674341204033536_o.jpg

IMG_20200516_231956572.jpg

IMG_20200516_232006904.jpg

IMG_20200516_233154499.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

if its going on a '87 ?, i hate to burst your bubble..but..( dont ya just love it when ya hear that word..but ? )..that switch wont be correct, the '87 switch has to have 6 wire leads !.