DuckOfDeath

Plastic welding?

I'd never heard of plastic welding until someone at work said he had a buddy who fixed his fenders using a cheap plastic welder and donor fender. I've got this 86 350 with busted up fenders but they're not too faded so this idea is appealing. Anyone have any experience with doing this?

• Like 1

never tried it, and wont try it..lol. i'd rather take my chances doing it the way i've done it for years.

A friend gave me a cheap plastic welder , I played around with it and done some research , have watched  my friend at his body shop weld three sections of bumper cover together to make one then painted it and you couldn't even tell ----  I never had much luck with it looking good , you need to have some plastic of the same , I guess the word is " molecular structure "  , the piece of plastic you  use as your " welding rod " , has got to be the same type material for good results ---- the Frankenstien stitch works well and  gives it character 

3 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

A friend gave me a cheap plastic welder , I played around with it and done some research , have watched  my friend at his body shop weld three sections of bumper cover together to make one then painted it and you couldn't even tell ----  I never had much luck with it looking good , you need to have some plastic of the same , I guess the word is " molecular structure "  , the piece of plastic you  use as your " welding rod " , has got to be the same type material for good results ---- the Frankenstien stitch works well and  gives it character 

if he was smart ?, he'd take jeep up on his offer, then drive by my house, and pick up the front fender...lol.

I got a bottle of stupid pills myself , you can get them over the counter !!!

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I got a bottle of stupid pills myself , you can get them over the counter !!!

and i bet you stocked up on at least a case huh ?..rofl.

Just now, shadetree said:

and i bet you stocked up on at least a case huh ?..rofl.

Yep I'm stocked , and I got the 1,000 MGs this time ---- think they are a lot of people out there go to  the same doctor !!! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

Yep I'm stocked , and I got the 1,000 MGs this time ---- think they are a lot of people out there go to  the same doctor !!! 

rofl, i bet !!..buying them faster than toilet paper huh ?..lol.

I've never done it myself ... but seen a few that have tryed it ... from what I've been told they re break because the weld is more brittle ... 

Harbor freight has a cheap one for $17. I really have nothing to lose in trying, I guess, and have plenty of junk fenders to use for welding rod.

10 hours ago, DuckOfDeath said:

Harbor freight has a cheap one for $17. I really have nothing to lose in trying, I guess, and have plenty of junk fenders to use for welding rod.

I fixed the fenders on my 350D last year with that very welder, because I didn't want to get into sanding/painting the plastics. Ordered toolbox from the same model from PSN to use as a rod and just trimmed narrow pieces off of it. I used a wire mesh (I think it came with the welder kit) and the welder to embed the mesh into the plastic from the backside. Then I welded the seams on the exposed top side. It looks a heck of a lot better to me than it did before and it has held up fine thus far. In fact it may be stronger than was before with the wire mesh embedded in it. Now it's not perfect and you can definitely see the repairs, but it's functional, which is all I was after. I've got some pictures around here somewhere, I'll see if I can locate them.

Here is one of the main repair. The fender is dirty but you get the idea. I thought it turned out pretty well considering I'd never done anything like that before.

IMG_5339.JPG

I use an electric/air plastic welder and get the rod from Seeley Mfg (many different types to use with various plastics). I use a solder gun to tack the fenders back together on the top and then weld on the bottom side. How good it turns out depends on how long it's been broke and deformed during the break.

IMG_20150220_101445_229_zps1691786b.jpg

IMG_20150220_100157_344_zpsb8d9a787.jpg

IMG_20150220_102212_588_zpscca2261e.jpg

0330091513b.jpg

0330091513.jpg

20190820_151618.jpg

20190828_103700.jpg

20190820_160336.jpg

20190820_155843.jpg

• Like 4

Nice!  I'm sold.  Can't decide if I want to get the harbor freight $17 or $70 option. I may just get the cheap one to play around with and go from there. I have some donor fenders, so I'm going to try using it instead of plastic rods they sell.