slowindown

What is the best way to restore faded/oxided plastics

My machine s only a year old but the black, and the black on the Kolpin boxes was getting white/chalky looking. 

What I got was Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer.  Fantastic.  Made all the black plastic and the Kolpin boxes look like new. 

Also made all black plastic on my motorcycle look new. 

I had to get it online.  I'm far from civilization so no stores here would have it.

dc

6 minutes ago, David13 said:

My machine s only a year old but the black, and the black on the Kolpin boxes was getting white/chalky looking. 

What I got was Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer.  Fantastic.  Made all the black plastic and the Kolpin boxes look like new. 

Also made all black plastic on my motorcycle look new. 

I had to get it online.  I'm far from civilization so no stores here would have it.

dc

I have a lot of experience with this product. Give it a few weeks or a pressure wash and it's gone. 

A single use product that works and lasts? Cerakote Trim Cote (Expensive but lasts) and a reapply every so often product is Turtle Wax brand Hybrid Ceramic spray coating

Try either of those if you don't end up happy with the Ultimate Black. 

• Like 1

That ulimate black looked great on my black trim on my car, but oh400 is right, it doesn't last long

• Like 1

15 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

@Wheeler  i was looking at jeeps post about using sc-1 .... and was reminded of this thread. https://atvhonda.com/topic/786-sc-1/

have you have a chance to use the novus plastic polish kit yet ? 

No I haven’t had a chance as I’m up north working. It just arrived at the house the other day. I’ll have a chance later this week when I’m home. I want to try & remove as many scratches as I can. Then I’ll keep using my SC1 (New Bike In a Can!) love that stuff!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

No I haven’t had a chance as I’m up north working. It just arrived at the house the other day. I’ll have a chance later this week when I’m home. I want to try & remove as many scratches as I can. Then I’ll keep using my SC1 (New Bike In a Can!) love that stuff!

I also love SC1. That was my go-to before the TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic stuff. Doesn't last as long or bead as much water/mud but much better for a super quick detail because you don't have to buff out as much.

• Like 1

SC1 is pricey, but it is easy to use, and it works.

I imagine the Novus stuff would give longer lasting results, but with a lot more effort.  I used to use Novus to clean my Jeep soft top windows back in the mid 90's.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wheeler said:

question.... on sc-1 how long does the Finnish last ... being i keep mine in dry storage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

question.... on sc-1 how long does the Finnish last ... being i keep mine in dry storage. 

If you are in a dry environment it will last a long time. Even a basic wash if there is no real mud. At $15 a can, it’s not a cure all, but my gawd ur atv will shine! It’s purpose for me is too look good while in garage, & easy mud/dirt removal after. When mine is parked for the winter in my garage, it will last all season shiny! 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

Just now, Wheeler said:

If you are in a dry environment it will last a very long time. Even a basic wash if there is no real mud. At $15 a can, it’s not a cure all, but my gawd ur atv will shine! It’s purpose for me is too look good while in garage, & easy mud/dirt removal after. When mine is parked for the winter in my garage, it will last all season shiny! 

beat me to it ... lol 

• Like 1

Ordered off internet,  amazing product, great for restoring black plastic. Won't bring back color but is great for anything black and unfaded.

20201020_105400.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 3

Tire foam is amazing on the black plastic pieces like the footwells that turn grey. Just spray it on. Just leave it - no wiping or anything. Come back in a couple hours and the black looks new. I haven’t tried it on the colored plastic as I just replaced my red plastic but the video where I got the idea from sprayed his whole green 420 rancher with it. I’ll see if I can find the video. 

Heres the kind I used:

DC90F2BC-4B60-499C-96F2-2A7538605B46.jpeg

I still haven't tried out my Novus Plastic Polish. I'm going to wait until after I'm done with Hunting season. Then I'll have lots of time to remove the racks etc & get them done as good as I can. I might even buy a small orbital polisher..

I've used tire foam on my plastics before with good results as well. I like the idea of using rim cleaner on the engine. I use SuperClean on the engine right now. Works awesome as well..

Got the back rack off. Here are the before pictures... I’ll post back once I complete the Polish. I as well, will be doing this by hand. Im going to do just the rear for now. I’ll get to the front later. 

73A5E00D-87F5-401B-9F69-9E47AEB96497.jpeg

C7ED932B-DA27-4AB4-9497-3A0C2CF33418.jpeg

E580CC93-E289-48D5-8EA6-0217A9864506.jpeg

A37418D8-02CB-4BC4-9C4D-7C3B3BB90E01.jpeg

E70FBA9B-8EDA-466B-AC83-FFEEC8928C66.jpeg

• Like 2

Subscibred.

18 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Got the back rack off. Here are the before pictures... I’ll post back once I complete the Polish. I as well, will be doing this by hand. Im going to do just the rear for now. I’ll get to the front later. 

73A5E00D-87F5-401B-9F69-9E47AEB96497.jpeg

C7ED932B-DA27-4AB4-9497-3A0C2CF33418.jpeg

E580CC93-E289-48D5-8EA6-0217A9864506.jpeg

A37418D8-02CB-4BC4-9C4D-7C3B3BB90E01.jpeg

E70FBA9B-8EDA-466B-AC83-FFEEC8928C66.jpeg

Suscribed.

So your stripping it to refinish? What are you going to us?

@freebo86 I'm not stripping it. I am going to use the Novus Plastic polish to see what kind of improvement I get... However I just tried the #3 by hand... I think I'm going to require a power polisher...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

@freebo86 I'm not stripping it. I am going to use the Novus Plastic polish to see what kind of improvement I get... However I just tried the #3 by hand... I think I'm going to require a power polisher...

I think a DA polisher would help you. Princess Auto has them, PorterCable at CanadianTire too (I use this for car detailing).

Curious to see how it goes! I plan on doing this to mine once I get all issues sorted. 

wheeler ... wish goober was here... i think he used a polisher ... along with novus 3 stage, maybe he will chime in, i know one thing it sure made a defrence in his, i think he even posted pics in the old forums, might have even posted some here. 

• Like 1

@_Wilson_™ I’m picking up a polisher today. I have the 3 stage as well. Watched videos on wet sand ect.. I’m not doing that! I’ll just Polish & SC-1

• Like 1

Just now, Wheeler said:

@_Wilson_™ I’m picking up a polisher today. I have the 3 stage as well. Watched videos on wet sand ect.. I’m not doing that! I’ll just Polish & SC-1

What polisher you buying?

Post pics of progress!

oh no, i agree, i wouldn't wet sand at all .... at least not on those, I've even seen people use heat to bring plastics back, the down side to heat is, it makes the plastics more brittle, and likely to easily crack. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh no, i agree, i wouldn't wet sand at all .... at least not on those, I've even seen people use heat to bring plastics back, the down side to heat is, it makes the plastics more brittle, and likely to easily crack. 

why no wet sanding?