slowindown

What is the best way to restore faded/oxided plastics

just my personal opinion on plastics... as you take more layers off, (if you've never done it before) then polishing does, plus plastics are softer... then metal, but I'm not a body guy, lol, but if i was... I'd sure try it on scrap plastics before I'd ever go on honda plastics, and goober has had good luck with polishing, intend to listen to those who have been there, have the shirt, and goober does. 

• Like 1

1st pass with #3 & buffer.. very impressed & im just starting... 

here is left side & polished side.. 

B88EE7D9-B506-4076-B3BE-1C8CC34B94F8.jpeg

9A841DD5-6ABB-47B7-947D-2FF7255596CC.jpeg

6B898D9B-E0A6-430C-B3C1-04D3FE1BB9DB.jpeg

BE23ADBB-E198-43FE-8F52-0B753E435578.jpeg

• Like 5

@Wheeler your up in Berta, right? Where you get this Novus polish in Canada?

your results look very impressive. My plan was to sand, 600, 1000,1200/1500, 2000 then do compound, polish and wax. 

Paint it  !! -------------Hydro-Dip is the new thing around here , they say it is not a durable as bed-liner , but it sure looks good !!! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I've never heard of that before, so just checked out..... that's pretty cool looking. 

• Thanks 1

Well I just did what I said I wasn't going to do... I did do a little "spot" wet sanding. 400grit & 2000grit. There were some serious deep scratches that I know won't "buff" out... Now to see if I can get them to buff & shine up... but a lot smoother that's for sure.. I'll post up pics when I'm done today..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Well I just did what I said I wasn't going to do... I did do a little "spot" wet sanding. 400grit & 2000grit. There were some serious deep scratches that I know won't "buff" out... Now to see if I can get them to buff & shine up... but a lot smoother that's for sure.. I'll post up pics when I'm done today..

No reason it won't. I think you will be surprised with the result and may opt to do the entire thing that way.

The other thing can also try is Mequiars Ultimate Compound or Ultimate Polish. I would finish all this off with their wax or some other sealant at the end.

Great minds think alike... I’m going to finish with that! (Then SC-1) as always!

9 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

7A2764AD-453A-48A1-B8E1-071523669D85.jpeg

Nice! Yes, I use that stuff on my cars, I know their metal vs. plastic but that compound is top notch stuff. 

I will have to look into SC-1 I am unfamiliar with that.

Well wet sanding works great to remove the edges of scratches & obviously smooth them out, but ya as figured she's hard to get back to a shine.. I've been hitting it with #2 & requires.. They are a lot better than before, but wow.. this is sure tuff to do... I'm still considering the torch when done, but "super" lightly... I don't want brittle plastic at ALL! I'll see how it turns out. I've got polish & compound all over place from the polisher LOL

They look great in the pic, better than before, but good from far, far from good...  

just tossed a light coat of SC-1 on.. u can see the difference for sure between front & back. I’m not bidding anymore. That’s all she gets...

306C49EA-4FE9-40F5-AB7E-FCC2F9708E5D.jpeg

50B4D41A-8DC7-4219-AB72-C69A71313C9A.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

That looks good man! Cant wait to do my body!

What speed you running the polisher at? 

Here is a rule of thumb. Running compound im typically on 4-5. Polish I run 3.

Wax is usually 2.

If you need to remove swirls you're going to be on the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting
For polishing after removing the swirls you want to be on the 4.0 to 5.0 speed setting
For applying a liquid finishing wax or paint sealant you want to be somewhere in the 3.0 to 4.0 range...

IF you're using a one-step cleaner/wax to remove defect then that would be like removing swirls so your back up to the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting.

1 minute ago, Wheeler said:

I ran 1.5 to 2 entire time...

You can go a bit faster, and keep moving the unit.

Try my approach in another area see if you notice a difference and best result.

• Thanks 1

What’s this SC-1 you speak of? 

I tackled my rear also. Cleaned up the plastic real well, scratches gone/hidden however the shine isn’t there. 

Linseed Oil and Paint Thinner?

15E67E1E-F34C-4DA9-A721-63D7A91B3C6C.jpeg

54F611EB-3C9E-4BC9-B752-D1B2C1C24AF7.jpeg

8B49E662-3B2C-41D8-A456-E8AAE8C1C63B.jpeg

• Like 1

SC1 does an AMAZING job of shining up your plastics, BUT it doesn't last as especially long time.

The Wipe New that @retro recommends is what I'd use first.  That brings back the shine.  THEN use the SC1 periodically to keep it when you really clean up your ATV.

• Like 2