jeepwm69

$%@^^@# rear brakes

Been working on a couple of rear brake assemblies I had in the shop.  Both were seized up. 

Got one apart this morning, had to put the cam pin in my vice and use a pry bar to work against the studs to work the backing plate back and forth to free it up enough to press out the cam pin without destroying the backing plate.

Had to put he brake shoes in the vice, one at a time, and work the backing plate back and forth to get the shoes off the pins.   FINALLY got everything apart, where I can reassemble with new bearings, a new cam pin and seals, and new shoes.

The other one didn't go as well.  The pins that the brake shoes slide onto are actually rotating in the backing plate, rather than the shoes rotating on the pins.  I'm torn between using a cut off wheel to get the old shoes off the pins, or just saying to heck with it and cutting this one down for a brake delete.

On the topic, what is the purpose of the ring that sits in the inside of the drum (other than being something to hang up on the brake shoes while getting the drum on and off the axle)?

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Been working on a couple of rear brake assemblies I had in the shop.  Both were seized up. 

Got one apart this morning, had to put the cam pin in my vice and use a pry bar to work against the studs to work the backing plate back and forth to free it up enough to press out the cam pin without destroying the backing plate.

Had to put he brake shoes in the vice, one at a time, and work the backing plate back and forth to get the shoes off the pins.   FINALLY got everything apart, where I can reassemble with new bearings, a new cam pin and seals, and new shoes.

The other one didn't go as well.  The pins that the brake shoes slide onto are actually rotating in the backing plate, rather than the shoes rotating on the pins.  I'm torn between using a cut off wheel to get the old shoes off the pins, or just saying to heck with it and cutting this one down for a brake delete.

On the topic, what is the purpose of the ring that sits in the inside of the drum (other than being something to hang up on the brake shoes while getting the drum on and off the axle)?

the ring i think ?, is suppose to be a wear indicator for when the lining on the drum is worn down too far ?. i've taken/cut them out, and left them out in the past, worthless in my book. 

• Like 1

A small propane torch does wonders when trying to get things freed up. I was told that ring is for noise suppression, I throw the things away. Usually by that time the drum is worn down, brake arm needs to be jumped back a notch even with new shoes and all the brakes do is slow you down (very spongy).

• Like 2

I think you asked about that ring inside the brake drum , not on atvs , but I have seen that ring on other applications called a shatter ring , something to do with protecting the drum from heat warpage , cracking and shattering , kind of like a heat displacement device 

• Like 1

well.... i should have kept up with what shade, and toodeep posted ... lol!  i reckon i can be tossed in the book ... (you snooze, you loose) 

• Like 1

Yeah that brake drum ring is pain sometimes

I cant count the times I have not been able to pull the brake drum off  because the ring was catching on the edge of the brake pads because the ring/groove had rusted and raised the ring up even higher.

I was told it was a harmonic dampner years ago-never knew and still dont know what that means or how it works, but I would bet it doesnt work when rusted in place anyways, which like 90% of all machines I have worked on have been..

But- I clean the groove out when I surface the drum, clean the ring and put it back together anyways.......probably better off to just toss it like Shade 

I am fixing to open up a Foreman 450 and 400 brake drums here in the next hour or so to do the same thing- hoping theyre not packed full of mud but we all know how that goes....

Gotta start working up from bottom of my list, as I am on hold putting 2 motors back together till the gaskets come in..

Man, I am impatient waiting on parts..more so I think having to stop engine work, but I will probably have everything better scraped, clean and prepped by the time they come in

Edited by AKATV