slowindown

06 honda foreman ES

About the petcock: 

This one won’t turn totally off (neither will the one on my rancher) I have a buddy that went to replace his on his 02 foreman. The screws into the plastic tank stripped and he’s got to get a new tank. What’s the safest way to get them out?

Also I saw repair kits the the one on the foreman appears riveted together. Anyone used these?

Are the $65 oem petcocks better than the aftermarket ones?

I just bought some brass shut off valves with 1/4 inch barbs off eBay for $7 each For my riding mower. the Briggs plastic version is plastic $6 and junk.  Get you one of them valves and don’t use the petcock.  Save them bucks for a couple of cases. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, slowindown said:

Are the $65 oem petcocks better than the aftermarket ones?

Yes of course. Aftermarket = china. Don't even think about it.

• Haha 1

By the way, usually those petcock bolts will zip right out of there using an impact. If you try to take them out with a ratchet you risk spinning the ferrules inside the plastic tank. Then you're stuck.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, retro said:

By the way, usually those petcock bolts will zip right out of there using an impact. If you try to take them out with a ratchet you risk spinning the ferrules inside the plastic tank. Then you're stuck.

I've got a little 18V dewalt impact that came with my drill and a big powerful 1/2 inch harbor freight electric impact.  Which would be better?

I don't know which is better.... they're both made in china so its anyone's guess.... Its your call, no guarantee that you'll win. But your odds are better using an impact.

I personally use my old 1/2 inch drive Ingersoll Rand air impact to zip petcock bolts out.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 10:14 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I swapped a lot of parts from 05 to 11. Never had any issues with any of them working on various models. 

You could get dark blue plastics 05-06, black in 09, yellow  05 and 06, white in 08. Red and green every year, camo starting in either 07-08.

Green seems to hold its look the best. Fading and scratches don’t seem to show up as bad on green as they do in other colors

Well I ended up ordering the red from partszilla. I couldnt ever make up my mind and I do like red. Who knows when they’ll come. I made an order for various rancher items on 4/19 and that order still hasn’t shipped. 

So, I changed the oil today. No crush washer on the drain plug!! Luckily no leak. I texted my buddy who I got it from and said did you ever change the oil and if so who did it.  He said yeah, I had the Honda shop do it at 100 miles and not long before I quit using it.  

Fortunately autozone had an aluminum 12mm crush washer but I had to buy a variety pack for $3 that had the aluminum one, copper, and a couple others, maybe rubber coated steel and plastic. 

Edited by slowindown

On your fenders, Partzilla is likely going to tack on a huge shipping charge. 

I've lucked out and ordered ONE fender at a time and slipped through without incurring the big shipping charges, but looks like most now get an email after the order is in telling the buyer there's a $$$ oversized shipping charge.

Looks about like the 2012 Rubicon I picked up.  I'm going to see if I can get it more red with a heat gun.  You might try that.

I don't know.  I tried several things, including wet sanding an area followed by rubbing compound and polishing compound with a buffing wheel.  I think mine has just had the color sucked out deeply.

I found out my fuel gauge doesn't work.  It has been sitting on three bars since I got it back together the other day and put just a little gas in it.  I was thinking, man this thing gets better mileage than the rancher. . . Then it died. LOL. Reserve to get home. I poured 2 gallons in it.  Still 3 bars.  I guess I need to pull the sender out to see if its repairable.

Probably seized up.  Pull it out and gently work it back and forth.  Probably stuck in one position.

You're not making me feel confident about these pink plastics!  At least I have an extra set of green I can put on it if I need to.

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

On your fenders, Partzilla is likely going to tack on a huge shipping charge. 

I've lucked out and ordered ONE fender at a time and slipped through without incurring the big shipping charges, but looks like most now get an email after the order is in telling the buyer there's a $$$ oversized shipping charge.

been there...done that ^^^, your right, partzilla now charges a extra fee to ship fenders now. they tried that on me when i bought fenders for my '03 trx450fm awhile back, i let them have it !! ( butt chewing that is ), they kept trying to tell me they've always charged extra for oversize parts ?, ummm..noo...you have not !. i went to a site, left neg reviews on them, they called me up, said..'' how can we get you to change that bad review ?, i said...give me my money back you charged me on shipping my fenders..then i will, until then...you can kizz my grits !!!..they gave me my money back, so i changed the bad review...lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slowindown said:

About how much did they charge?

they tried to charge me 75 bucks to send my fenders, i got it back !..lol.

I guess I could cancel the order and go through the dealership. I don’t know if that will come out any cheaper. 

58 minutes ago, slowindown said:

I guess I could cancel the order and go through the dealership. I don’t know if that will come out any cheaper. 

look on your order sheet, see if they charged you extra to ship large items ?.

Not yet. I made the order yesterday and the confirmation email shows the order with no extra shipping and an email this morning saying some parts were delayed by the manufacturer until tomorrow. This one showed the order too with dates available. No additional shipping yet. They’ll probably wait and hit me with it later.   

10 hours ago, slowindown said:

Not yet. I made the order yesterday and the confirmation email shows the order with no extra shipping and an email this morning saying some parts were delayed by the manufacturer until tomorrow. This one showed the order too with dates available. No additional shipping yet. They’ll probably wait and hit me with it later.   

yep, when you get that email saying your parts were shipped ?, you may see it then.

16 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Probably seized up.  Pull it out and gently work it back and forth.  Probably stuck in one position.

You're not making me feel confident about these pink plastics!  At least I have an extra set of green I can put on it if I need to.

I got the fuel level sender working. You were correct. It was stuck in one position. A fair amount of build up where the arm goes to the circuit board. It looked sort of like battery corrosion but yellow/white or fine sand lightly concreted. Picked that off and used wd40 giggling it til it started to move. Then worked it with wd40 over and over plus tapping on the end of the arm where it comes through the plastic housing with a little brass hammer until it finally flopped freely. Took maybe 5-10 minutes plus removing and putting the plastics back. Thanks. 

• Like 1

I ordered some tan 300 fenders when they were still available and didn't get hit with a shipping charge, but they are small for fenders, and I ordered the front on one order, and the rear on another a few months later. 

If you look at the "list" price (retail price) on Partzilla's schematics where you add the stuff to cart, that's normally what your local dealer would charge.  You could try the "I'd rather buy locally, will you price match" line with your local dealership.

• Like 1

All of my plastics finally shipped from Partzilla.  They did not add a shipping fee.  Why that is, I do not know.  When I made the order, I paid the $5.99 expedited shipping fee thinking that it might prevent them from adding a large fee since their disclaimer on large parts specifically only applied to free shipping and to also speed the process up.  Whether that had anything to do with it, I do not know.  The order was certainly not expedited however as I placed it approx 22 days ago.