Ddaved

2004 Rubicon 500 needs camshaft - backordered

Had a 98 450 Foreman for quite a few years. When I got it, it had been used commercially and was rode hard and put away wet. Replaced several major parts - engine was fine. Had excellent luck with it overall.

A worker for one of my farm vendors had a 2004 Rubicon 500. Basically gave him the 450 and a few $. Also got a 6' snow blade which he said he had used on it (?).

Found flywheel loose and ate up (shredded) alternator coil. Cleaned mess up and got it running very well after valve setting, etc. After quite a few hours (10), exhaust valve compression release NFG (not functioning good). Took it to Trimble's in Austin MN (dealer since 1954, as I recall) they rebuilt engine. Many new parts including cam shaft. Bored cylinder, new piston, etc. When I got it back, I had never heard anything so fine. It was fantastic. Worth every penny spent. After few hours (5), ran weak and sounded bad. Took back to Trimble's and Al said bad oil pressure. Tore down, found bad cam shaft. Tried to get one and found on back order. They have one also needing com shaft. Honda told them should be here end of January 2020. Nothing. I called Honda Customer service and they said end of April. Somewhere along the line I heard Honda's supplier wasn't (couldn't) produce to spec and Honda was looking for new supplier. Can anyone add information about getting parts? Glad to be here as a Newbie. Bubba Dave

Welcome to the board.  I'd buy a used one from a reputable seller like powersportsnation.com.  They stand behind what they sell.  Check with them and see if they have one.  Should be simple enough to mic out and see if it's in spec.

Great information. 1120 parts, many for Rubicon. I'm beginning to think these engines eat camshafts.

Thanks for the information. I'll check them for parts in the future also.

41 minutes ago, Ddaved said:

Great information. 1120 parts, many for Rubicon. I'm beginning to think these engines eat camshafts.

Thanks for the information. I'll check them for parts in the future also.

I've bought a lot of stuff from them.  Only bad parts I've gotten were a rear hub with a seal groove worn in it and a set of brake lines that were stopped up.  In both cases they instantly refunded my money no questions asked.

I need a few odds and ends.  Have been waiting hoping they have a sale.  If you get on their mailing list they will send you a list of new inventory and also information on sales when they have them.