SamUK

Happy Thanksgiving guys..

5 hours ago, SamUK said:

How was thanks giving for you all (or should I say 'Y'all'?! Lol)

Just another day to me. However I do like the eats! Especially pies and desserts!

• Like 2

Happy Thanks Giving to everyone! 

I had a great one last month! Shot my Buck & Fawn (didn't know it was that small) that week end!!!!!! I was sure thankful for all the meat!!!!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, retro said:

Just another day to me. However I do like the eats! Especially pies and desserts!

So what's usually on the menu for thanks giving in the USA then? Turkey, goose & gammon with all the trimmings?! 

I'm a big fan of pies Retro, if it's surrounded with pastry count me in!! Haha!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SamUK said:

So what's usually on the menu for thanks giving in the USA then? Turkey, goose & gammon with all the trimmings?! 

Yeah pretty much! Turkey is traditional, hams are popular along with all the trimmings. A feast actually and every year its different. But the highlight for me are the variety of pies! :-)

• Like 1

SamUK ,

I like pastry crusted things also ------- I bet you'll have something similar  over there , we have meat and crayfish pies , stuffing in side either a mini pie shell or like a soft taco shell to make a pocket , then  pinched on the ends to hold it together ,  then deep fried in oil , the crayfish folded pie is my favorite , I wish I wouldn't have thought of that , now I want one 

another pastry dessert I like ,  lady at the flea market makes these mini pecan pies , they are crunchy , I break them up into pieces and microwave them for about 20 seconds , 2 scoops Blue Bell Homemade vanilla ice cream , big squirt of Hersey's chocolate syrup , and aerosol whip cream sprayed over the top 

• Like 3

I was off Thursday and Friday, but took a vacation day Wed and part of the day Tuesday, so I've was out of work most of the week.

Spent that time just north of Atlanta is the suburbs.   Huge number of pretentious, arrogant jerks.  I despise going but we go there for Thanksgiving so they come to us for Christmas.

Interstate in Birmingham was closed due to construction so the trip went from 7ish hours to over 9. 

Let's just say I'm glad the week is over.  LOL

Sam, around here Turkey, Ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, and as mentioned, lots of pie.  Eat till you're miserable.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 12:22 PM, Fishfiles said:

SamUK ,

I like pastry crusted things also ------- I bet you'll have something similar  over there , we have meat and crayfish pies , stuffing in side either a mini pie shell or like a soft taco shell to make a pocket , then  pinched on the ends to hold it together ,  then deep fried in oil , the crayfish folded pie is my favorite , I wish I wouldn't have thought of that , now I want one 

another pastry dessert I like ,  lady at the flea market makes these mini pecan pies , they are crunchy , I break them up into pieces and microwave them for about 20 seconds , 2 scoops Blue Bell Homemade vanilla ice cream , big squirt of Hersey's chocolate syrup , and aerosol whip cream sprayed over the top 

Yes, we call those pastries with crimped ends, pasties, or a pasty (singular). Pretty much any filling goes however common fillings are, chicken tikka, ham and cheese, cheese and onion, and not to mention a traditional Cornish pasty!

It seems crawfish is a popular delicacy in Louisiana.. The closest we have is Crayfish (similar but smaller I believe), maybe one day I'll get to sample some LA dishes 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 3:45 PM, jeepwm69 said:

I was off Thursday and Friday, but took a vacation day Wed and part of the day Tuesday, so I've was out of work most of the week.

Spent that time just north of Atlanta is the suburbs.   Huge number of pretentious, arrogant jerks.  I despise going but we go there for Thanksgiving so they come to us for Christmas.

Interstate in Birmingham was closed due to construction so the trip went from 7ish hours to over 9. 

Let's just say I'm glad the week is over.  LOL

Sam, around here Turkey, Ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, and as mentioned, lots of pie.  Eat till you're miserable.

Our second biggest city is Birmingham also, guess what....?! It also is constantly riddled with traffic due to construction!! 

The foods you mention pretty much sum up what we eat here I've tour Christmas holidays lol.. 

Yep, we eat all that again at Christmas.  LOL

My wife is allergic to crawdads.  Gets all itchy and red if she eats them.  I love em, but don't get to eat them much anymore.  When we were younger guys would do boils a couple of times a year but now we're all old with kids so don't get together screwing off like we used to.

Happy Thanksgiving gang, despite the hype go celebrate with family and friends!!  It's a time to assemble and make conversation and have a good time....

• Like 1

Thanksgiving was back in October, not sure why Americans Have a holiday so close to Xmas

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TBRider said:

Thanksgiving was back in October, not sure why Americans Have a holiday so close to Xmas

Sounds like you'll had OctoberFest , Halloween or Harvest back in October -----  Cause the real Thanksgiving is tomorrow !!!   4thThursday in November , is how I think we measure it out 

Merry Thanksgiving, Happy Christmas, an Merry New Year.

anyway Happy Holidays.

• Like 1

Happy Holidays!! Glad my wife is an excellent pie maker. My choice of apple, pecan and/or pumpkin.

• Like 3

Thank you Sam and I hope all of you have a good and safe Thanksgiving.  I know I have a lot to be thankful for.  I'm warm, dry, am not hungry and my family are all doing well.  We had our Thanksgiving meal in the middle of the day so the kids can have a meal with their wife's families this evening.  The kids and grandkids will be back over tomorrow for leftovers.  

We had Honey Baked Ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans mac & cheese, dumplings, cornbread stuffing, cookies, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple pie and ice cream.  I probably missed some things but anyway it was all good.  It was good and I'm not hungry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PROV said:

Happy Holidays!! Glad my wife is an excellent pie maker. My choice of apple, pecan and/or pumpkin.

Take the pecan !! 

Had pecan last night and lunch today, pumpkin tonight. Taking the apple pie with me to the hunting shack. 😄 

funny picture... gawd that's awful!  (ROFL)

only had one of the kids family unit over yesterday..the rest all go to in-laws..but it was nice time to just enjoy them...so my daughter, her hubby and their one kid..my 12yr old grandaughter who absolutely LOVES to ride the old Fourtrax...they arrived at the house around 11...first thing..she comes up for a hug and gives me that look and asks.. "Can we go ride Blue?"  (the old 300 is a blue body one...so they've named it that)

so we grabbed her a helmit tossed heron the saddle in front of me and rode for about an hour with me clutching the rear cargo rack rails (boy are my hands sore...grin)

then the big meal around the formal dining table..very nice...desert was barely touched when she asks me again to go ride some more..she's petite so no way I'm letting her on the bike by herself..but she steers and throttles just fine..her feet on top of mine so I can still shift and brake.

wonderful time with one of my grandkids and best part of my day.

• Like 4