Markbb

Hey everybody new to forums... from north carolina. Im a diesel mechanic. Just bought 2 Honda 420 ranchers one 07 2x4 es and one 08 4x4 es.. looking to find some help on trouble shooting shifting problems on my 08 rancher it used to stop shifting at anygiven time while.you were riding and start blinking a dash mark but i could cut the key off and back on and it woukd start working again. Untill yeaterday i got home and my daughter had gotten it out of the garage to ride it and said it woudnt start so i look at it and its got the dash mark on the screen again and wont start.  When i try to shift it nothing happens shift motor dosent even click like im not even pushing the buttons... i haven't done any trounleshooting yet bc i had to work today. Hoping to get a chance to look at it tomarrow. Any tips or help would be greatly apreciated.. 

Welcome Mark to the forums..😀 help is on the way..some of the guys will be along later that has those machines.Derf

Welcome. There’s a really good write up on here on bulletproofing your ES. I did it to my 02 a few weeks ago when it started acting up. Here it is: 

Thank you slowindown. After i got home yesterday i went out and manually shifted it back to nutural with shifting tool and it started working right again.. im thinking i mught need to pull the shift motor and clean the reduction gears and put new grease on them bc it was acting like it was stuck in between gears? Im goin to try that today thank you all for the help.

Welcome Mark, yep that write up by retro is the best thing you can do and will fix many issues as the grease Honda used in the shift motor and gears is horrible.  Give it a try first before doing anything else....