Roberth1257

99 Honda foreman 400 4x4 top end rebuild and swing arm bushings and bearings.

So I bought a 99 Honda foreman 400 4x4 knowing the top end was smoking a little bit. The guy I bought it off of said the top end was replaced 8-9 years ago and was bored 40 over. I was thinking about just replacing the whole top end with a new 450 top end instead of just replacing the piston  rings. So first question is, when I tear it down and if it only needs piston rings, would anyone just replace them or go ahead and buy a whole 450 top end? My next question is where do you guys buy your parts? I also need swing arm bearings and bushings. Any information would be greatly appreciated! 

2FBB1A8E-3B3B-434F-A244-409E180329E8.jpeg

• Like 1

no such thing as bored 40 over ( least i've never heard it called this ?, ebay or power sports nation for used for your top end cylinder. depending on what all you need ?, will say where you buy some parts , like piston kit, top end gasket kit, and will you need a new crank because the rod is bad ?. top end was done just 8-9 yrs ago ?, tells me its gonna be more than just a top end, money says the rod is bad. while your fixing it, it would be a good idea to replace the cam chain, or at least inspect it anyway. swing arm bearings and dust covers, oem from partzilla if you can still get them ?.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard.  I would use a 450 cylinder, piston, and rings, keep your 400 head.

As Shade said though, you need to really check it over.  If it's been sunk it likely has all kinds of crud in the bottom end that will work it's way up to that new top end and ruin it in short order.

I always go all the way through any motor I get.  Tear it all the way down, clean it out, and put a new timing chain in, and a crank if it needs it (check out www.mrcrankshaft.com for crank rebuilidng service).  Then you know things are good to go for that new top end.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the advice! The guy I got it off of had it the last 15 years and used it for hunting. Overall the bike is really clean, and besides the swing arm bearings it’s a very tight bike. (Also he gave me a bunch of new parts for it when I bought it so I found out he included the swing arm bearings)

I already bought the whole new 450 top end kit with jug, my buddy owns a shop and he’s gonna tear it down and let me know what else I need! But I definitely want to do it right! So if anything needs replaced, I’ll do it! I can’t wait to get her running tip top again! I love these old Honda’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roberth1257 said:

Thank you all for the advice! The guy I got it off of had it the last 15 years and used it for hunting. Overall the bike is really clean, and besides the swing arm bearings it’s a very tight bike. (Also he gave me a bunch of new parts for it when I bought it so I found out he included the swing arm bearings)

I already bought the whole new 450 top end kit with jug, my buddy owns a shop and he’s gonna tear it down and let me know what else I need! But I definitely want to do it right! So if anything needs replaced, I’ll do it! I can’t wait to get her running tip top again! I love these old Honda’s. 

well, you're already a step ahead of the game, you joined the best forum on the net for help from the best members you will ever run across anywhere !. that atv is a simple atv to work on, motor design is like shooting fish in a barrel to fix.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, shadetree said:

shooting fish in a barrel to fix.

Hey , I take that personally , LOL 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Hey , I take that personally , LOL 

haha....why did it cross my mind when i typed that out ^^^^, you would think i was talking about you ??!!..rofl.