New to forums but been riding since i can remember. Always wanted to do a custom build. Just got a 99 foreman 450 es. Got it at a decent price came with a 4 2 4 switch but its old and shot. Has a winch but cant get it to work. Big gun exhaust and light pods. The bike runs rough i feel like its do to the exhaust and the carb not being set, has valve chatter, leaking oil from the oil plug, choke cable broke, display is acting weird and the battery is shot. Ive ordered a battery, jet kit, choke cable, oil plug and cdi+coil. End game is replace front diff with selectable diff from 02 or 03, install 14% gr, clutch kit, snorkel, build custom hand shifter and custom lift. Any and all constructive opinions and thoughts welcome. (Once i get it like i want then ill worry about cosmetics.) Will post pics when i get a chance.

Welcome to the forum.

424 can be rebuilt with a kit, and even if you don't want to use it you could always sell it.

Several guys here with 450's who can help you out!

• Like 1

Yea i seen the rebuild kit for it and thought about going that route but i want to just try my hand at the build and if i rebuild and sell it then that can go towards my build fund lol

If the cable is in good shape the bearings and seals you can get cheap on ebay.  I have one for a 300 that I cleaned up and put new bearings and seals in, and just reused the old cable.  Works fine.

• Like 1

Welcome to the foreman , I am into 450s ---might know a bit about them --- 14% reduction would be the 300 primary and clutch basket  , easy swop ----- I done the opposite of what you want to do as far as the front diff , I swopped from the selectable diff to the 424 and full time diff  , have two complete front electric shift front diffs  ( 2002-2004 ) -------   you know there are kits to rebuild that 424 

• Like 1

Oh yea , " Thats Not Smart " is a cool alias ....  I am all about getting  " Stupid " , so I can relate .... 

• Haha 1

if i had  dollar for ever stupi thing ive done id have a bunch of dollars. but my motto has and will always be! WHEN IN DOUBT, THROTTLE OUT! that motto has cost me a bunch of money through the years but the memories are priceless. And yea i seen the rebuild kits but everybody i ride with is telling me it cant be done so im gone do it. I seen shadetrees post from a year back and i think i can pull it off. I know its gone be tough and costly but i really dont like ppl telling me i cant do something! So you want to get rid of one of those diffs? LOL

Edited by ThatsNotSmart

@jeepwm69 it was originally red but the guy i bought it from sprayed it tan. Now when i paint one i go for different. This is a 300 i painted the plastics on. thats the only part of that build i had a part in lol. But i got to say alot ppl liked it.

12439366_1129624960401076_7952868960012566773_n.jpg

12963644_1129624943734411_5195264383307490278_n.jpg

12993385_1129624897067749_1749857610183182970_n.jpg

13012678_1129624920401080_838047820910738643_n.jpg

• Like 2

Those tan fenders are painted?  Must not have been ridden much.  Where I ride (narrow trails) plastics get scratched up pretty quickly.  Any painted plastics look bad in pretty short order.

That 300 is  definitely different.  I like green or tan, but I sit on mine duck hunting so can't get too flashy with them.

• Like 1

@jeepwm69 yea the guy had just painted it. He polished it up a little cause he failed to mention a few of the problems the bike had but hey for the price it is what it is. I mean you aint gone get no turn key ready used 4 wheeler ever.

I like them rims on that red and black swirl 300 ----that tan does look good in the pic , I can see red in the battery box now that you said it ---  

• Like 3

Foremans came Mustard , Ketchup or Relish , yellow , red or green ----  since you painting it , any color will do , I like contrast between the racks , bumper and floorboards ,  like maybe  white plastics and black steel 

• Like 1

Good deal on the 300 parts for the reduction for $85 ----------    I would suggest a EBC clutch kit when you stick that reduction  in and start off fresh , the HD springs that come with the kit  are stiff on the shift  with them  ------  I have 2  450s , with  14.5% in my 2002 and 34.5%  in my 2000 --- the 34.5 % with HD springs is harder on my foot than the 14.5% with the same EBC clutch with the OEM springs --

• Like 2

The 450 and the 300 clutch frictions and disc are the same parts and same number of  6 frictions and 5 plates , so it doesn't matter which one you order ------- 

the 500 basket holds 7 and 6  , but they are all the same parts , so if were doing work on other peoples  bikes , if keep ordering 500 sets ,  after a few jobs  you get a set  free to charge some one else for  , something I learned hanging around the  atv shop 

• Like 3

Here is a link to my 2000 450 build , lots of 450 stuff in there , my go to bore job/piston parts  has always been G+H  Discount ATV  , have you heard of them and their deal ----- my 2000 has a knock off  of the no longer available Highlifter Big Bore kit , a 500 sleeve in a 450 jug with a J+E custom piston , custom set of Total Seal gapless rings and a 400 head , it does screams , but I wouldn't do it again ,  it is a one time thing , there is no over size for it ---- I would keep it simple , especially if you ride in water and mud , do you ? 

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/2000-trx450fm-build-mods.123454/page-55#post-1309108