Murphesting

Front diff rebuild... so far

Putting new bearing and seals in the front diff in my 00 foreman 400. It's my first time. It's been a learning experience for sure. The pinion bearing nut I used inch and half square tube and pipe wrenches. Worked good. Fished the spring clip through the little hole on the pinion needle bearing. That sucked. Used a slide hammer bearing puller to remove the bearing. Put all the new bearings and seals in. Aaand the ring gear wont go into the bearing. I'm thinking wrong or mis manufactured bearings. The manufacturer says they are correct. I know they are no good. Buy new bearing and seal kit from a different manufacturer and they slide right on. Gunna re-re-install the new kit and fingers crossed I'll be muddy by next weekend... anyone have problems with bearing manufacturers? Even wheel bearings and what not? I feel like quad boss bearings have been good. Their diff kit looks better made and it fits for 60 bucks instead of 50 bucks for the other I got. 

who did you buy the bearings from ??. was it '' all balls '' ?..lol.

16 hours ago, Murphesting said:

Putting new bearing and seals in the front diff in my 00 foreman 400. It's my first time. It's been a learning experience for sure. The pinion bearing nut I used inch and half square tube and pipe wrenches. Worked good. Fished the spring clip through the little hole on the pinion needle bearing. That sucked. Used a slide hammer bearing puller to remove the bearing. Put all the new bearings and seals in. Aaand the ring gear wont go into the bearing. I'm thinking wrong or mis manufactured bearings. The manufacturer says they are correct. I know they are no good. Buy new bearing and seal kit from a different manufacturer and they slide right on. Gunna re-re-install the new kit and fingers crossed I'll be muddy by next weekend... anyone have problems with bearing manufacturers? Even wheel bearings and what not? I feel like quad boss bearings have been good. Their diff kit looks better made and it fits for 60 bucks instead of 50 bucks for the other I got. 

What brand bearings were the bad ones, and the good ones? 

Might have gotten out an of spec bearing.  Might have gotten the wrong bearing altogether.

East lake axle was the bad bearings. The number on them matched up with the oem ones so I think they were just out of spec. The quad boss bearings fit perfectly. 

2 hours ago, Murphesting said:

East lake axle was the bad bearings. The number on them matched up with the oem ones so I think they were just out of spec. The quad boss bearings fit perfectly. 

and who makes these ?..lol. just because the number match ? ( anyone can post numbers on ebay or amazon ! ) DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE CORRECT !. buy oem, or from boss bearing ( i've had good luck with these in the past )..being cheap will always come back and bit ya on the butt !.

I've learned that lesson before. The dangers of drinking and internet shopping... the quad boss kit even came with a sleeve for the pinion incase it was worn. Mine was so this kit is going to do a much better job. Have the pinion gear getting machined to fit the sleeve and I'll finally be ready to put it all back together 

• Like 1