Chevymec

Who is the resident appliance repairman??

Can't remember who it was???  My fridge is about 5 years old at the most. I just cleaned the coils,  they were completely covered.  Next morning everything was better. Now it's back to not cooling right.  My thermometer shows 46* in the fridge and below freezing in the freezer.  Dumped all the ice out, and you can tell it isn't right. I have noticed the fan doesn't run all the time.  It wasn't running when I cleaned the coils but have felt it running when all was good. It is a Whirlpool side by side fridge/freezer. Help me please!!!

When you say the fan doesnt run all the time. Are you talking about the fan back by the compressor? Or the fan in the back of the freezer compartment? Anything that resembles snow on the back panel in the freezer?

• Like 1

Fan under the fridge. We have both freezer and fridge settings on 4 out of 5 also.

That fan should only shut off when its defrosting. The setting should always be in the middle. Sometimes you can adjust them 1 number up or down if you like your milk alittle colder. Or want the freezer to freeze things a bit more solid. But those settings are kinda like a check engine light. If you gotta make a big change on them something is wrong. So you said the temp in fridge is too warm. And freezer was below freezing. But you dumped the ice bin? Im confused by that part. If its below freezing the ice should have been fine?

I dumped the ice to see if it would cool better... less in the freezer maybe would cooler better.  At the same time the ice felt wet. Just got home and the wife showed me that nothing is hardly working. I'm about to go check the fan on the bottom.

3 hours ago, Chevymec said:

I dumped the ice to see if it would cool better... less in the freezer maybe would cooler better.  At the same time the ice felt wet. Just got home and the wife showed me that nothing is hardly working. I'm about to go check the fan on the bottom.

Gotcha. That actually works the opposite. The cold stuff in there will actually hold the cold and make it work less. There is nothing less efficiant than an empty freezer. But if that fan isnt running the compressor will over heat and shut off. If that fan is running i would suggest pulling the back panel out of the freezer and take a picture of the evap. Coil. If its not evenly frosted the compressor or sealed system is failing and your better off buying a new fridge. If it is evenly frosted atleast we know the sealed system is functioning.

Makes sense about the ice. So I pulled the lower cover and the fan was not running. Settings were on 3 and 3, max is 5 for both. I turned the freezer up to 5 and no change. Turned the fridge up to 5 and the fan and compressor cut on.  Has been working fine for about 3 hours now. Is there a pressure sensor like in a car that will shut the compressor and fan off?

Ok try this. Next time its shut off compressor and fan. And temps are to warm in fridge. Take your palm and smack the thermostat from the under side. If the compressor kicks on right then your t.stat is bad and sticking. I did just confirm with my dad and brother who did the majority of fridge repairs that the kenmore side by side with manual knobs for fridge and freezer would turn fan off if compressor was off(they cycle togeather). So we will be looking more into the t.stat direction or sealed system/compressor getting inefficient.

• Like 2

So this morning it had stopped again. Gave the thermostat a good wack and it came on. Looks like I'm ordering that tonight! Thanks again for the help. Appliances are getting crappier all the time for what we pay for them.

• Like 2

Yep thats a cheap part though! Got lucky! Heck we were seeing compressers and sealed system issues in fridges 2 and 3 years old. This is the reason we are closing and im going to work in the hvac field. Appliance repair as a whole is dead. Throw away society.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sucks that we toss entire appliances now because they cheapen them on the front end and make them where it's not cost effective to fix them.

• Like 2

AGEED^^ thank goodness Hondas haven't fallen into that category yet.... but finding oem parts for the old ones, sure is getting hard to come by... 

• Like 1

i just went through this with a brand spanking new washer and dryer set, G.E. , i took them back so fast..the paint ripped off of them in the back of my truck while in the box when i returned them to lowes !..lol. put my old kenmore and maytag back in, changed the belt on the dryer ( kenmore gas dryer )( belt still good, decided to change it anyway ), old set ( 30 yrs maybe ? ), and they are still kicking !!!. todays appliances SUCK !!!!.

• Like 2

I think they are designed to break after a couple of years so they can sell you more

• Like 4

My dryer is probably almost as old as I am.  It's a natural gas with the knob and push buttons down the side.  I had to replace the ceramic ignitor on it a few years ago, but other than that it just keeps going and going.

New appliances suck.  My next washer will be an analog Speedqueen.  I'm trying to get away from any electronic garbage when possible.

Same thing happened to my fridge a few years ago.I called a friend who is a professional. If I remember correctly he said to check the heating element for the defroster with an ohm meter. If that was ok then it must be the controller. I think my element checked good and it was the controller.

30 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

My dryer is probably almost as old as I am.  It's a natural gas with the knob and push buttons down the side.  I had to replace the ceramic ignitor on it a few years ago, but other than that it just keeps going and going.

New appliances suck.  My next washer will be an analog Speedqueen.  I'm trying to get away from any electronic garbage when possible.

Good luck with that! Even the analog ones have computers buddy! Government forced them.

56 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Good luck with that! Even the analog ones have computers buddy! Government forced them.

Yeah they all have to have a lid lock now, but these things are made in the US, and do away with all that digital crap.

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Queen-TR3000WN-Capacity-Stainless/dp/B01786RUJC/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

My sister has one and she destroys appliances.  Has had it for about 6-7 years with no issues at all. 

My next one will be one like it.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah they all have to have a lid lock now, but these things are made in the US, and do away with all that digital crap.

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Queen-TR3000WN-Capacity-Stainless/dp/B01786RUJC/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

My sister has one and she destroys appliances.  Has had it for about 6-7 years with no issues at all. 

My next one will be one like it.

Have you ever opened it up?

Theres computers hidden inside the new ones. She may have gotten hers before they forced it. But you cannot buy a new appliance today without a computer hidden inside somewhere.

Well it has gotten worse the last few days so I ordered the fridge thermostat. I wanted an OEM one but it said they were out of stock so I hit Amazon for one to get me by.

Go with the flow --- It is a disposable world we live in , throw away the entire fridge and get a new one , if something goes wrong and you loose everything in the fridge , the cost of a new one will be less invasive on your pocket box and certainly less headaches 

• Like 1