JPelletier

Canadian 86' TRX 350

They both will work -- so use the Rotella 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:38 AM, JPelletier said:

@shadetree @Goober your thoughts on the chain? I took a picture of the "fitment", don't know if it should perfectly sit on the gear or those small gaps are normal. I don'T want to do it twice 🙂

IMG_20200508_103258.jpg

ive never done a cam chain. I thought the links should fit completely snug on the drive teeth.

Hi: How or why did you go about ordering that chain? --- doesn't look right to me.

9 hours ago, Melatv said:

Hi: How or why did you go about ordering that chain? --- doesn't look right to me.

10 hours ago, Goober said:

ive never done a cam chain. I thought the links should fit completely snug on the drive teeth.

Yeah like I said, it's not what I ordered, I received wrong one. But after looking at specs, the only difference from the good one is 0.15mm height. It seems to clear cylinder cover and it's same pitch so I think it should be good. 

Ordered from Honda dealer! 

Really would like @shadetree opinion on that chain! 

Screenshot_20200507-200956~3.png

Edited by JPelletier
Added specs image

this ----> SCA0412ASDHA114 , is what should have been on the D.I.D. box !. links are the same on the chain you purchased, but i sure do not like the way it sits on the cam teeth !..lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

this ----> SCA0412ASDHA114 , is what should have been on the D.I.D. box !. links are the same on the chain you purchased, but i sure do not like the way it sits on the cam teeth !..lol.

Called my Honda dealer, confirmed me I had the good one based on his system. Than he called the Importer and the guy told him it was the exact same chain, but SCR is more robust and since it was confusing people, they decided to import/sell SCR only and doesn't sell SCA anymore... so now I don't understand why it doesn't fit better than that.

Edited by JPelletier

So I decided to contact didchain, and what an amazing customer service! Here is the official answer as reference if anyone search in the future:

Thibault isn’t 100% incorrect about the SCR version being a slightly beefier version of the SCA. This is true, however, when it comes to cam chains it’s best to use the exact same OEM supplied chain as that is what was designed specifically for your engine. These silent cam chains have to sit flush, so to speak, with the cam in order to function properly as it was designed to do.

Below are the dimension differences between the two and you can see that there are some variances, such as the height of the inner link plate and thickness of the outer link plate. Those small differences can cause the chain not to sit flush on the cam.

I’m giving a video presentation with Thibault and their sales staff later this week, and this is one of the points that I will be sure to address.

I do apologize for the confusion and added steps and wasted time, but the SCA-0412A SV would be the proper cam chain.
image008.jpg

image010.jpg

Edited by JPelletier
  • Like 1

I would think what they meant to say is the chain fit flush with the cam sprocket , they kept saying cam in that quote ^^^^ 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I would think what they meant to say is the chain fit flush with the cam sprocket , they kept saying cam in that quote ^^^^ 

Right! Also the SDH has been discontinued few years ago, new version according to DID is: SCA0412ASVX114

3 hours ago, JPelletier said:

Right! Also the SDH has been discontinued few years ago, new version according to DID is: SCA0412ASVX114

well, the chain i posted ^^^, i purchased from ebay or amazon ? ( yes..i know..i was buying from a place i tell folks not too ! ), and i checked all my info BEFORE i made the purchase, it is, was..THE CORRECT CHAIN !.

• Like 1