Howols

86 TRX350 Change Clutch Operation

OK, so my change clutch disengages when shifting and when the shift lever is held up or down, BUT...  no matter how slowly the lever is released, the clutch re-engages HARD. Is this normal? Seems like there should be a little cush or slip, no?

32 minutes ago, Howols said:

OK, so my change clutch disengages when shifting and when the shift lever is held up or down, BUT...  no matter how slowly the lever is released, the clutch re-engages HARD. Is this normal? Seems like there should be a little cush or slip, no?

adjust the clutch. no..thats not normal.

• Like 1

Clutch is adjusted to spec. Screw turned CCW until resistance felt, then CW 1/4 turn.

What do you mean by "hard"? Are you doing it at idle, on the throttle or during the ride (moving)?

To me it feels like a hard engagement when shifting while riding.  I would expect slowly releasing the shift lever would be similar to slowly releasing a manual clutch lever, but it isn't at all.  It engages all at once.  Maybe that's normal. I've never ridden another one.

has this atv sat up for a long time ??, if it has ?, chances are, the plates ( friction ) maybe sticking/stuck together, this will make shifting gears hard.

Not that "I" am that into oil certifications , but could this be one of them times 

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Not that "I" am that into oil certifications , but could this be one of them times 

nope. wrong oil will just make the clutch slip.

8 hours ago, shadetree said:

has this atv sat up for a long time ??, if it has ?, chances are, the plates ( friction ) maybe sticking/stuck together, this will make shifting gears hard.

Yessir. It sat for about 25 years. It does disengage when I shift though. I can hold the lever up or down in any gear and rev the engine freely.  Maybe some but not all the plates are sticking?

10 hours ago, Howols said:

Yessir. It sat for about 25 years. It does disengage when I shift though. I can hold the lever up or down in any gear and rev the engine freely.  Maybe some but not all the plates are sticking?

very well posb some of the friction plates are sticking !?!.

3 minutes ago, shadetree said:

very well posb some of the friction plates are sticking !?!.

Thanks shadetree. I take it you've seen this before? 🙂   Glancing at the manual, it doesn't look too tough to throw some new plates into it.  Anything I might need other than a gasket and a couple of seals?

Got the shop cleaned out today and now have enough room to work. Planning to remove the right side cover and check out the change clutch later this week. Any tips  besides what's in the manual?

On 5/6/2020 at 9:54 PM, Howols said:

Thanks shadetree. I take it you've seen this before? 🙂   Glancing at the manual, it doesn't look too tough to throw some new plates into it.  Anything I might need other than a gasket and a couple of seals?

i've seen it many times, its pretty common on all honda..or any brand atv for that matter if they have sat up for a long time.

11 hours ago, Howols said:

Got the shop cleaned out today and now have enough room to work. Planning to remove the right side cover and check out the change clutch later this week. Any tips  besides what's in the manual?

best tip: turn the atv on its left side about 45 degree's to make it easier to install the right side parts, this will make it a lot easier to sit all the parts back in, while installing the cover. WARNING !!!!! : BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PULLING RIGHT SIDE COVER !, YOU MAY PULL THE KICK STARTER SHAFT OUT, AND DROP THE BACK END WASHER DOWN INTO THE LOWER ENGINE ?!!, try to keep the kick starter shaft pressed in, while you pull cover !!.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

best tip: turn the atv on its left side about 45 degree's to make it easier to install the right side parts, this will make it a lot easier to sit all the parts back in, while installing the cover. WARNING !!!!! : BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PULLING RIGHT SIDE COVER !, YOU MAY PULL THE KICK STARTER SHAFT OUT, AND DROP THE BACK END WASHER DOWN INTO THE LOWER ENGINE ?!!, try to keep the kick starter shaft pressed in, while you pull cover !!.

Thanks!  I'll post back how it goes.

OK. I replaced the frictions and steels with an EBC kit. I didn't use the stiffer springs.  Project went well. The side cover came loose easily with a slight tap with a rubber mallet. The gasket remained 100% intact and solid on the cover. The crankcase surface only had a small amount of Hondabond on it which came off with my fingernail. I replaced the 3 oil seals and 4 o-rings while I was there. Cleaned the gasket and crankcase surface well with brakeclean, put a tiny bead of Yamabond on the gasket, and it is sealed up tight as a drum. All super easy.  Now, as for shifting/clutch operation, it is better. Still not quite as cushy as I would expect, but I think it will improve when broken in a bit. I may try a part synthetic oil like Castrol Actevo 4T in it next oil change too.

19 hours ago, Howols said:

OK. I replaced the frictions and steels with an EBC kit. I didn't use the stiffer springs.  Project went well. The side cover came loose easily with a slight tap with a rubber mallet. The gasket remained 100% intact and solid on the cover. The crankcase surface only had a small amount of Hondabond on it which came off with my fingernail. I replaced the 3 oil seals and 4 o-rings while I was there. Cleaned the gasket and crankcase surface well with brakeclean, put a tiny bead of Yamabond on the gasket, and it is sealed up tight as a drum. All super easy.  Now, as for shifting/clutch operation, it is better. Still not quite as cushy as I would expect, but I think it will improve when broken in a bit. I may try a part synthetic oil like Castrol Actevo 4T in it next oil change too.

did you adjust the clutch after you installed new disk ?, you must adjust the clutch every time you install new disk !. also its best to soak the disk in engine oil a good bit BEFORE you install them.

12 minutes ago, shadetree said:

did you adjust the clutch after you installed new disk ?, you must adjust the clutch every time you install new disk !. also its best to soak the disk in engine oil a good bit BEFORE you install them.

Yep, clutch is adjusted and I soaked the discs overnight.  As I said, it is better now. I've only had time during the day to ride it for about 10 minutes so far. I have a feeling it will improve with more riding time.

29 minutes ago, Howols said:

Yep, clutch is adjusted and I soaked the discs overnight.  As I said, it is better now. I've only had time during the day to ride it for about 10 minutes so far. I have a feeling it will improve with more riding time.

good deal !. you may have to '' tweak '' the clutch adjustment a tad to dial it in ?, but i think you will be fine.