jeepwm69

How much draw for a 300 starter

Daughter hasn't ridden her 300 a lot since I finished it, but now she and her sister are old enough where I'm letting them putter around on them in the afternoons. 

Yesterday it wouldn't turn over.  I hooked the battery to a charger and it showed charge after about 30 mins, so I checked the voltage and it was 12.43.  It fired over and started. 

A while later I tried it and it sounded weak again.

Put a voltmeter on the battery and it was still over 12V, but when I try to crank the wheeler it drops to 3-4 volts.  Is that normal, do I have a starter going south, or does this battery have a dead cell?

mine kind acted that way... ended up being the starter brushes ... but my battery's s good... so ... it very well could be the battery on it's last leg ... 

It's a newer battery, but it did sit for several months without being used.

On a 300 with none of the computer crap on them they can usually sit a long time without draining the battery though.

I'll try swapping on another starter.  Not like I don't have parts bikes everywhere!

• Like 1

i didn't mean to add more to your plate ...lol ..... mine like to have drove me crazy! but it was my fault, a week battery ended up killing the starter brushes .... a man can't always stay ontop of things... 

• Like 1

very well could be both jeep ?!. starter brushes wear over years ya know ?..lol. and the battery should be showing more than 12 volts ?, BUT !!!, batteries ARE NOT what cranks atvs, cars, trucks..everything ?, ITS CCA that does it ( cold cranking amps ), if the cca is bad ? ( from a bad battery ), it will turn over slow, or not at all..lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shadetree said:

very well could be both jeep ?!. starter brushes wear over years ya know ?..lol. and the battery should be showing more than 12 volts ?, BUT !!!, batteries ARE NOT what cranks atvs, cars, trucks..everything ?, ITS CCA that does it ( cold cranking amps ), if the cca is bad ? ( from a bad battery ), it will turn over slow, or not at all..lol.

Well I haven't even looked at the starter.  I might have gotten a dud of a battery.  I bought it new right after you finished the engine, so that would have been about a year ago. 

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Put a voltmeter on the battery and it was still over 12V, but when I try to crank the wheeler it drops to 3-4 volts.  Is that normal, do I have a starter going south, or does this battery have a dead cell?

The voltage shouldn't drop below 9 volts when spinning the engine over with the  starter , if it goes below 9 volts you have a problem , bad starter , bad battery , bad cables or connections , tight motor --- 

• Like 1

I'll clean up the cables and try a different starter with new brushes.  If that doesn't work I'll have to get another battery.