Wi foreman

No spark...Sometimes...need help

I have a 1998 TRX 450ES. Problem developed where I do not have a spark the majority of the time. Motor cranks with start switch, Neutral light on. Some times when I release the start switch I will get a spark and motor will fire but won't stay running. This happens approximately 1 out of 4 times when attempting to start. I have tried pull starter....there is no spark at all during pull starting...

Has anyone every experienced the same??...if so what was the fix.

Any ideas how to fix?

Make sure you have a good battery and sparkplug for starters, if good there, make sure your kill switch is centered and those contacts and key switch contacts are not dirty, if those are good, you can try tapping on the CDI box while cranking or pulling, if spark comes back while tapping, CDI is going out

You can buy a new one or get a decent used one on ebay- or you can try refflowing the interior solder joints in oven at 450 for 10 mins then let cool without moving it

The solder joints get cracked inside the box from heat/cold/vibration/ and age and reheating will reflow the joints and repair 90% of the time

(best to do in oven when wife is not around...............)

I have some that are working 12 years after doing that

It also might be your voltage regulator going out on you, try checking that out as per the Service Manual

If you do not have it, here is the link  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15eWwngQ5SdlsIfbgpm5ZJWJYBYx3vJ7s

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Edited by AKATV

Thanks for the input

7 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Make sure you have a good battery and sparkplug for starters, if good there, make sure your kill switch is centered and those contacts and key switch contacts are not dirty, if those are good, you can try tapping on the CDI box while cranking or pulling, if spark comes back while tapping, CDI is going out

You can buy a new one or get a decent used one on ebay- or you can try refflowing the interior solder joints in oven at 450 for 10 mins then let cool without moving it

The solder joints get cracked inside the box from heat/cold/vibration/ and age and reheating will reflow the joints and repair 90% of the time

(best to do in oven when wife is not around...............)

I have some that are working 12 years after doing that

It also might be your voltage regulator going out on you, try checking that out as per the Service Manual

If you do not have it, here is the link  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15eWwngQ5SdlsIfbgpm5ZJWJYBYx3vJ7s

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Thanks for the input...know spark plug, SP Wire and kill switch are ok...will check the CDI...

1 hour ago, Wi foreman said:

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input...know spark plug, SP Wire and kill switch are ok...will check the CDI...

Don't use any china parts.  Buy OEM.  If you can't afford new OEM, buy used OEM from someone like Powersportsnation that is a reputable used parts seller.

• Like 1

Update to report...

My Honda is at the lake and have not been there to work on it for a few weekends.  Was there this last weekend.  Spent Saturday morning trouble shooting...and yes from what I can determine looks like a new CDI box is required.

Ordered on Saturday afternoon.  Should have by this weekend so hopefully we will be off on the trails this week....

Provide an update after the weekend...

Thanks for the input from everyone!!!

Where did you order it from? OEM Honda? Ricks CDI? or eBay Amazon??

On 5/18/2020 at 3:28 PM, Wheeler said:

Where did you order it from? OEM Honda? Ricks CDI? or eBay Amazon??

I did purchase an OEM...after installing did not fix the problem.  

However not sure if I induced a further problem when troubleshooing...thats my saturday project to go back through and verify the reading from the meter off of different components.

June 5 update...

After replacing the CDI and that did not cure the problem.  Pulled the multi meter back and checked the wire harness between the CDI and the stature.  Found there was a short between the ground and stature wire.  Looking into the wiring diagram further discovered they both route into the rectifier.  Pulled the Rectifier and metered between the ground and stature wire would plug into...dead short.  Ordered and installed a new OEM Honda Rectifier...problem FIXED!!...back up and running.

My thanks to all the added ideas on what to check...

You guys are great and I am quite happy to be associated with a group...Ride ON!!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Wi foreman said:

June 5 update...

After replacing the CDI and that did not cure the problem.  Pulled the multi meter back and checked the wire harness between the CDI and the stature.  Found there was a short between the ground and stature wire.  Looking into the wiring diagram further discovered they both route into the rectifier.  Pulled the Rectifier and metered between the ground and stature wire would plug into...dead short.  Ordered and installed a new OEM Honda Rectifier...problem FIXED!!...back up and running.

My thanks to all the added ideas on what to check...

You guys are great and I am quite happy to be associated with a group...Ride ON!!

If you check powersportsnation.com, they usually have used rectifiers cheap, and they stand behind what they sell.

Glad you got it fixed!