F250 guy

Best oil change method.

I was curious what you guys do when it's cold out, drain n fill or warm the oil up, reason I'm asking is cause it's going to be like 40 something and I don't wanna ruin my wash job I did the other day. I have the oil I'll be using, but just wanted to ask cause I was under the impression that long as the craps in suspension, it wouldn't matter. 

Going back up today to finish some work for granny, going to build a fire in that cinder block garage to.  Also an oil change on my moms Suzuki XL7 if ya wanna see that. 

IMG_20200508_145023.jpg

Edited by F250 guy

Are you talking about draining the oil  cold ?  Many say to get the engine hot before draining it , let it run for 5 minutes to get warmed up

• Like 1

Yea, were in between two Mountain banks up there and I thought about running it at idle to warm it up but I don't have a fan to blow over the cylinder to prevent overheating. So I guess I'll have to ruin my wash job. Ugh. 40* here in Barboursville WV where I am now, it's naturally 20* colder there where I'm going. So I'm not gonna enjoy this lol

By warm you don't mean operating temp just warm, ok I was thinking up to normal riding temp. Dunce is me

Edited by F250 guy

Did you just do a rebuild on your engine ?  What's up with the fan to cool it down ?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Did you just do a rebuild on your engine ?  What's up with the fan to cool it down ?  

No I haven't, the fan thing was to make sure that it won't get to hot, but at the temp it's going to be I should b fine to let it warm up 10-15 minutes, see I try to do anything I can to prevent possible overheating if I'm ideling for say over 15 minutes. I was being cautious, but at 25-30* I should b ok. 😁

I think you  overly worried about the heat issue as far as warming the engine to drain the oil .... but if you are worried then drain it cold -----

funny oil change story , my neighbor is not very mechanically inclined , he calls me over to get his oil plug out his Yamaha 400 that he striped it bad , I walk up and see the side of his house is full of oil splatters , I asked  why , 'He said his Daddy told him to warm up the oil before changing it " , he had left the dip stick out of the engine and let it run for 20 minutes , lucky he never burned the engine up ---then to add insult to injury , after I got the plug loose with a hammer and chisel , he gets a small bucket that was  1/2 full of used oil and I tell him that ain't big enough , so he says it should be big enough and pulls the plug and overflows the bucket and puts more oil all over the patio 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had to do an oil change on a work truck years ago and my gen set at the same time, asked the helper if he could drain the motor oil and I'd tend to the gen set. After it was all said and done we left the shop and headed home in the truck, asked him how everything looked, he said fine but the oil was reddish in color,  at that point I realized he drained the transmission, then added an extra amount of oil in the engine. Last time I let anyone do an oil change without me......lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Always warm the motor up before changing it. Your manuals even say to do so. Warm oil also flows and drains quicker. If for some reason I can’t warm it up first I leave the drain plugs off for 2 hours 

• Like 2

@Fishfiles the thought is what counts though, we won't be going till later sometime I remembered we have to do the orchard limbs. My moms still remodelig a floor so later today it is.

While on the subject do those manual oil extractors work, or since ATVs share engine and transmission it wouldn't drain all the oil out and a guy would still have to loosen the drain plug? I gotta change oil on grannies mowers and was curious. I'd like to get one for everything but a car, just wanted to ask for anybody's experience with them in ATVs. 

I'll post pictures of the scenery.

Edited by F250 guy

You won’t get all of the oil out with an extraction pump. Best to use the drain plug when there is one. My Rubicon has 2 drain plugs because one won’t get all of the oil out the transmission.  I have an extraction pump but I only use on anything with no drain plug like the rear diff on my truck. 

• Thanks 1

personaly i never worried about lube changes except ... not letting anyone else do them ..( as tbrider stated ) however .... warming the oil is a good IMO ...

• Like 1

I personally let mine warm up some before draining. Or you could just let it drain over night.

Does the 4 wheeler not have a cooling fan on it? 

i too am lost Bout the cooling the plant off .... HEY! when you (some) go get your vehicle oil change done, do you worry about the engine temp ? NO....  but adding cold oil back in... especially for those older engines where the oil spout is located on a valve cover ... then your putting  cold oil right on the head... a honda (4stroke engine)  atv is totally deferent .... as for vehicles what i think about is dry starting, loose oil filter, and a loose drain plug. 

I got it done and man the Amsoil does make a difference. I had no idea what I was missing. Lower temps and alot smoother, quieter too. 

IMG_20200509_183048.jpg

IMG_20200509_162542.jpg

IMG_20200509_162417.jpg

• Like 1

Update. Here are some temperature shots mine and grandpas with factory oil.

Disclaimer: the point is to testify that my temps are much lower than before, I didn't have my phone yesterday or I would've took photos before my oil change, they were higher then you see here by 30*. The reason grandpas is there is b cause I was curious what factory everything looked like. Mine runs warmer naturally "Wich I'm fine with me" I'd rather be a tad warm then barley Luke warm like grandpas".

Mine.

IMG_20200510_183156.jpg

IMG_20200510_183145.jpg

IMG_20200510_183136.jpg

IMG_20200510_183129.jpg

IMG_20200510_175242.jpg

Edited by F250 guy

best oil change method ?..NOT STRIPPING OUT THE DRAIN PLUG BOLT !!!.

• Like 2

bout time someone said that....steal plug verses a CAST aluminum engine case ... you can't torque happy!  

• Like 1

I have been lucky , I only stripped one oil drain plug in my life and it was on my 82 Silverado -----  At work  I deal with some big oil plugs , some take a 1 1/2 inch socket on a 3/4 ratchet and a cheater pipe to get off , some are so tight that I pull out the 3/4 drive air impact , now that can become messy fast , you got about a 1 3/16 with 15-20 gallons of motor oil behind it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I was trying to figure out if the OP was talking 40F or 40C. LOL. It took me a second...

lol! fish.... don't you know the old trick on some diesel engines ?? plug / pinch the blow by hoses !!! before you zip out the drain plug! that is, unless your in a rush. my worst has always been semi transmitions, hydrostatic transmitions, and of corse tractor hydraulic oil... 

Edit: speeking of drain plugs ... i bet you've seen some magnetic plugs before ... here's a pic of my dimple magnetic plug... I've heard people say there a waist of money ... but here's proof there NOT! 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1