Fishfiles

Food Channel

sounds to me like your accident prone,when it comes to horses ... I've heard people say horses are dumb, but thats not true, not even close, they (like dogs) can tell when your nervous or frightened 

i agree fish... so many people get wound up doing just a couple of hobbies / jobs ... thankfully we still have a few (VERY few) that like doing defrent things ... just wished i had access to fresh sea food .... chalk it up to being up in Tennessee ... we have no dependable fresh dealers anywhere close, least none that are trust worthy .. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 9:12 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

sounds to me like your accident prone,when it comes to horses ... I've heard people say horses are dumb, but thats not true, not even close, they (like dogs) can tell when your nervous or frightened 

i agree fish... so many people get wound up doing just a couple of hobbies / jobs ... thankfully we still have a few (VERY few) that like doing defrent things ... just wished i had access to fresh sea food .... chalk it up to being up in Tennessee ... we have no dependable fresh dealers anywhere close, least none that are trust worthy .. 

it was the type of horses i rode. mostly 2 yr. olds at Jack Van Bergs training center in skylight, KY. i rode the Butterscotch [the horse that drove a car], without a saddle, or being able to use my hands, when i was being trained to ride thoroughbreds., it was part of my training. butterscotch was a draft horse.

2,200 lbs. i had to ride him with my knees at his withers, and my arms tucked in close to my body. 

when it come to butterscotch's turn to get trained, it was my job to smack him on the butt, when he wasnt paying attention. he'd get mad, an stomp all 4 feet [hoofs], an the whole car would shake. the car was a 66 Lincoln, with rails around it. it was painted red, though i have seen blue pictures of the car online.

maybe i am accident prone. are bull riders that hit the dirt also accident prone? or bronc riders? they get stomped too. 🙂

• Confused 1

bronk, and bull riders... just deal with a defrent mind set animal ...  (and do get grounded) i never bronk rode ... but I have had my dealings with bulls...  that's NOT for the faint of heart..... and yeah bull riders are just about the most arogant person you could meet .... haha! just about as wild, and crazy as the bulls they ride.. bulls can't be trusted at except for the job there required for breeding ... I've seen many farmer friends try and make pets of them .... and end up getting hurt  very bad! I've delt with both horses and cattle about all my life , and you CANNOT make a pet of a bull!! 

• Like 1

some thoroughbreds are friendly, some will tear ya up. the farm manager had a horse grab him in the stomach with its teeth, and shake him like a rag doll.

Elmer was no small man. 250-300 lbs. Elmer Hubeck, retired from Hobeau Farm an had his own training center. Quail Roost; i when there to ride while i was still sore from having my rib cage broke. the assistant trainers didnt impress me, an were getting people hurt. one rider, from mexico, nice fella, got put on a horse that had not been out of its stall for a week or more. that horse spun, lost the rider then kicked him in the jaw. i never seen that guy again. i left 3 weeks later. the writing was on the wall. they let one girl walk a horse, with not enough experience, and the horse got away from her kicked her in the arm, and broke her arm. thoroughbreds are wound up tight. ya gotta know what your doing. with 2yr. olds some times it dont matter what you know. but if you dont know what you doing, you might get tossed 99 times, an i did. cant say all of them were 2yr. olds the 1st 99 times i got tossed. but most were.

their wasnt a 2nd., 99 times of me getting tossed. but i had quite a few broken bones, in the process. my friend Nasum, got to riding, and in one of his spills, at the race track, he broke his neck. he went on to ride again. but he died, and what killed him was factory work he did when he was younger, fibrous of the lungs. same thing my dad died of, an maybe my mom. course she was a heavy smoker at one time. 4 packs a day. pellmall or however you spell it, non-filter. i like to smoke, but most of my cigarettes burn up in the ashtray. i forget they are there, an anyway, when i do get up to a pack, most burns up in the ashtray. did i tell ya i like budweiser. an i still do. been drinking it since i was in florida in 86'. thats a few years. lol

• Like 1

sounds like you made the right call in getting away from that place lol! i used to work for a guy just up the street dealing with horses, and he didnt put up with nothing... you were told once.. how things work... if it didnt take, you were out the door... I've had plenty of dealings with horses, and cattle ... working cattle is the most dangerous far more then horses... because we always had a few hands helping us, and the more people you have around the worse it is!! FACT! . and these cattle were wild, when it came to the herd bull ... the hands were told to stay away lieve them alone!! while myself and John moser ... gave shots .. etc ... we're talking 2500 lbs ... that can explode for no reason... lol! .... fact is you can't fully trust any of them horses, or cattle... , but I'd much rather deal with horses .. then cattle any day... no telling how many times I've been chased over a gate .. and sometimes even the gate went for a ride.. I've see all kinds of things dealing with cattle that would blow your mind ... even had one 2 calf momma  cow .... had a issue dropping a over size calve ... we had to chase her about 3 hours one rainey nasty muddy night way after dark... and the only option was a cab 4440 johndeere with lights... let me paint this pic as best i can ... this cow was completely crazy!!! and fit to be tied... there four of us my father .. John, were in the dry, Scott ... (some may recall Steve Williamson the black smithing ) it's his older son was on the front riding the weights ... holding on via the air breather stack, i was on the (hay Speer mounted)  riding,  both of us had ropes.. this fool started charging the tractor .. (1st and only time I've even seen this ) ..... i managed to snag one rear hoof, and Scott got the head ... my pop managed to pull the calf ... both lived, but were sold very soon afterwards ... 

• Like 1

you are so right about the less people the better. the more the people, someone is going to get hurt. in horses i forget the order, but i think it goes, sometimes the people get hurt, the rider gets hurt protecting those in the way, or the horse gets hurt. it dont matter the order, just keep people out of the way,

that way, no one gets hurt. people that are green, cause the most problems. nothing like a bad trainer to get you, or the horse hurt. i still have dreams about riding race horses. guess, it gets stuck in your mind.

thats me at the end of the car in the 2nd picture, 104 lbs.

DSCN0274.JPG

DSCN0277.JPG

Edited by LedFTed
picture
  • Like 1

i agree! ... greenhorns ... eh who needs um ? lol especially dealing with horses, or cattle ... never let that dream die, Ted .... maybe one day.. you'll be back in sadle ... might not be race horses but still... and it sure does get in your blood ... things one enjoys usually does :-) thats a cool pic ...

• Like 1

not at my age on race horses, but i might get to riding my own. lol

Horse sausage really ain't that bad , it's popular out in the country down here , they can't sell it in the stores , real big dish in France , you can get a horse steak , never had one of them before ------- 

• Like 1

Too Funny, how goes the pidgin lips. lol i worm my horses, so there not for human consumption

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

i just couldn't, fish ..but on the other hand ...  cattle are ugly ... we're doing them a favor by eating them haha! 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i just couldn't, fish ..but on the other hand ...  cattle are ugly ... we're doing them a favor by eating them haha! 

Horse has a hoof.  So does cow , goat and deer. Burrrrrr !!!!! 

i grew up riding horses .... now.... maybe if i was starving ... and that's BIG maybe ... some people even eat dogs, and cats , rats etc ... those i couldn't eat, rats i wouldn't even think about trying ... but nah... not horses... I've eat all except horse meat. cant do i guess it all depends on where you live ... lol! but being a farmer ... horses played a key role... such a noble animal! ..., i reckon you'll have to call me a whimp on this one... I'm not knocking those who do enjoy it...  after all they make dog food from horse meat, but i won't eat horse meat. people also eat dog, cats, and rats. ... i won't go there ether NOT EVEN CLOSE. haha! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i grew up riding horses .... now.... maybe if i was starving ... and that's BIG maybe ...

We use to hang out at Mud Bugs the cowboy bar when I was younger , I " rode the bull  " , don't stop me from eating a burger or ribeye 

oh ... I'll eat a hamburger, or a steak. any day... just not horse meat ... lol, like i said....I'm not knocking those who like it,  it's just not my preference. my family, and every other farmer around here ... raised cattle for milk, and beef, i reckon you could say it's in my blood. 

• Like 1

I like a good moose steak over a beef one any day..... buffalo is good too.

• Like 4

Just bought my tags for hunting,  hopefully will get to shoot another elk this year, dont really care if it's a bull or cow. At this point we have a ton of meat left.  Also put in for an antelope tag, they aren't very big, an adult Male weighs 90-140 lbs. So meat yield is 35 to 40 lbs. Hardly worth the effort but my wife grew up with on it and loves it. In comparison, the young 2 year old bull I shot this last year yielded a little over 200 lbs.

Pronghorn-Credit-USFWS-1024x670.jpg

• Like 2

FF: applying for an antelope here also.. Have 3 points, should get a permit this year. get one about every 3-5 years. The Antelope I got several years ago came off of wheat and corn fields was excellent eating. they are  much smaller than I thought they would be.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TBRider said:

I like a good moose steak over a beef one any day..... buffalo is good too.

how does it compaire .....with a deer steak ..... i wouldn't mind trying it, I've used deer burger to cook with, and i like the taste better then ground beef by far... 

• Like 1

one draw back here is ..... row crop farmers use some bad pesticides especially on soybeans and deer eat lots of soybeans .... so hunters around now mainly hunt for the trophy racks .... not so much for the meat.... that's a waist IMO ... other row crop farmers higher hunters just to thin out the population, just kill them, and let them lay for the buzzards ... 

• Sad 1

I personally have never eaten Antelope so I don't know how it would compare with deer.  what's weird is my wife doesn't like deer meat.  She loves Antelope and Elk. Elk is excellent meat.  Especially the cows, if you get a good lead cow that is 7 or 8 years old some of them are really big.  I process all of my own meat one year I shot a lead cow that dressed out at 580 lbs.  When I got all of the meat cut up I ended up with 225 lbs of steaks, roasts, tenderloins and burger. Like I said I had a touch  over 200 with this young bull I shot.  I wouldn't say it is better than a good beef steak but boy if prepared right it is a very close second.

• Like 3

Shrade, they are pretty small, and you have to make sure you shoot them without them knowing you're there if they've been running they aren't going to be any good, it will ruin the meat with all the blood pumping through it and the adrenaline. Hey the tag is only $14 so if I'm out and see something and can knock it down  it will be worth it.

• Like 1

thanks! .... the deer burger here ..... has a certain amount of pork added to make the burgers hold and together cook good ...being twinky, and i traded for payment on hunting rights ... i took the same as he ate... but back years ago i had just plain ground deer... which had to be used in soups, chile and such dishes... but ...that,  had a great rich taste!!  stones processing does it just one way...  pork added ... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Shrade, they are pretty small, and you have to make sure you shoot them without them knowing you're there if they've been running they aren't going to be any good, it will ruin the meat with all the blood pumping through it and the adrenaline. Hey the tag is only $14 so if I'm out and see something and can knock it down  it will be worth it.

What we do here for bloody meat is let the meat sit in a ice chest with ice and water in it for a couple of days , that gets a lot of the blood out , then before cooking the meat , soak it in milk for 24 hours 

I have eaten buffalo and it is good , never ate elk or moose before that I know of