Fishfiles

Food Channel

Got a better one for you....

Cop finds 2 drunk rednecks on the side of the highway, one has his finger in the others bum. Cop says " what in God's name are you doing boy",  I'm trying to make him sick, he responds. "You'll never do it that way...."

"It will when I stick my finger in his mouth...."🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I try hard to eat the older stuff out of the freeze first and not let things  hang around till they are freezer burned 

On 6/3/2020 at 7:55 AM, PROV said:

Venison will break down faster than beef. Different kinds of meats have different rates. Vacuum sealing helps the most. If the meat is bloody when you thaw it that's because it wasn't frozen fast enough. If you put in a pile of meat to freeze it should be spread out so each package freezes faster. Otherwise you actually get small ice crystals in the meat that cut it and let the juice flow out. As a side note I always butcher my deer within one or two days and it tastes FAR better than game that has been hanging. Ages far faster than beef etc.

idk how the meat breaks down. i just cut the deer meat off, an froze it., wrapped it in freezer paper. plus some other stuff. this freezer dont defrost, like the modern ones. i like it. you cant get one like this. right now, it has an inch of ice built up on the inside in some spots., maybe more. the modern freezer in the upstairs refrigerator, melts new ice cream, then refreezes it. it aint right. if it does it to ice cream, then anything ya got in there, goes through the same cycle. warms up, then refreezes.

the guy that i got this from, thought he snookered me, the basement freezer. he got a modern freezer, though smaller. i would do this deal again, in a heartbeat.

the reason you let beef hang [from what i understand], is it dont have the proper enzymes. while deer is ready to eat the day that you get it. i might be wrong, but have et much wild game, an it always taste better, then what you can buy, and have et it on the same day, i killed it.

if you like Melrose, on Melrose ave. in Louisville to take care of your meat, i got some bacon from there, that smelled like two day road kill. in a store once, an it has been always the same since. they lost their way, from, the bacon making people, till 30 years later, when they sell the road kill brand. 

was a time i liked this bacon, bout 30 yrs., maybe 40 years ago., or somewhere in between.

Edited by LedFTed

Hey Ted , I learned a trick with ice cream in the freezer ^^^^ , take a piece of the clear stretch plastic wrap and put it tight over the ice cream container before putting on the lid on , makes it stay fresh and not get the ice crystals on it 

• Like 1

it wont happen here. my little brother 7 years younger than me, still thinks hes got all the answers. besides the freezer in question, has a defrost cycle that last too long. [i havent figured out the problem, yet], the ice cubes, start out as 1/4 moon shaped, about 3" long, then get reduced, to barely a piece of ice.

as far as not getting the ice crystals on it, and i have, to see ice cream melted, then refroze, is a different matter. the defrost is on so long, that it evaporates ice cubes, even if they were once 1/4 moon shaped. it ends up with ice about small as a weak hail storm, if you are lucky.

3 hours ago, LedFTed said:

melts new ice cream, then refreezes it. it aint right. if it does it to ice cream, then anything ya got in there, goes through the same cycle. warms up, then refreezes.

I've always heard ... once meat has been frozen.... and then when it's defrosted you shouldn't re freeze it but ether cook, or toss it... ... ib be looking into that issue. maybe slammed would have some advise on why it's cycling warn enough to defrost, personally never had that issue ... 

10 hours ago, LedFTed said:

idk how the meat breaks down. i just cut the deer meat off, an froze it., wrapped it in freezer paper. plus some other stuff. this freezer dont defrost, like the modern ones. i like it. you cant get one like this. right now, it has an inch of ice built up on the inside in some spots., maybe more. the modern freezer in the upstairs refrigerator, melts new ice cream, then refreezes it. it aint right. if it does it to ice cream, then anything ya got in there, goes through the same cycle. warms up, then refreezes.

the guy that i got this from, thought he snookered me, the basement freezer. he got a modern freezer, though smaller. i would do this deal again, in a heartbeat.

the reason you let beef hang [from what i understand], is it dont have the proper enzymes. while deer is ready to eat the day that you get it. i might be wrong, but have et much wild game, an it always taste better, then what you can buy, and have et it on the same day, i killed it.

if you like Melrose, on Melrose ave. in Louisville to take care of your meat, i got some bacon from there, that smelled like two day road kill. in a store once, an it has been always the same since. they lost their way, from, the bacon making people, till 30 years later, when they sell the road kill brand. 

was a time i liked this bacon, bout 30 yrs., maybe 40 years ago., or somewhere in between.

You are correct, it is the enzymes in the meat and it ages way faster in venison than beef. That being said those enzymes can still break it down when frozen albeit much more slowly. Especially if there is no air present. If the meat is vacuum sealed or sealed in some other way it doesn't matter if your freezer is frost free or old style. Also some types of plastic wrap are not truly airtight and have micro pores that will let air through. That's why you see regular plastic bags and the same thing in freezer bags. Even plastic water pipes in your house will let air in but not leak. The pipe used for heating purposes is cross-linked so air cannot get in.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2020 at 10:44 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

I've always heard ... once meat has been frozen.... and then when it's defrosted you shouldn't re freeze it but ether cook, or toss it... ... ib be looking into that issue. maybe slammed would have some advise on why it's cycling warn enough to defrost, personally never had that issue ... 

just the up-right freezer, in the refrigerator, in the one upstairs, runs constant defrost cycles. i talked to slammed on another forum. lo

i heard the same thing on defrosted meat, "cook it before ya re-freeze it", i'm not sure if i believe this. guess it depends on the freezer. the refrigerator-freezer,  best cook anything, while ya got the chance. i seen ice-cream melted, then refroze. definitely something wrong, with this GE model.

i wonder if china was in involved, in the making thereof. China has GE, by the short hairs, an i wouldn't trust GE Products. 

my Dad, an my Mom, both worked there, an died of lung disease. it was the times, an allowed, by Gov. and big business.

didnt matter what color your were.

the washer, bought from GE, sucks, as far as an old washer did. so does the dryer, for the most part. other company's due the same.

it takes about three days, for your clothes to stink, unless you hang them outside. its the new soap. Designed to sell more, soap, then get the job done. was a time, that tide, actually, cleaned clothes. ivory was a dish washing liquid. an you can forget Lava soap. it got run out of business, also.  

Edited by LedFTed

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

cook it before ya re-freeze it", i'm not sure if i believe this.

possibly ??  but once meat  thaws, the clock that measures its edible phase begins to tick, personaly i wouldn't chance it .... my grandmother was a home economics teacher for many many years .... she would have  never thought to re freeze meat specially poulty. 

To understand what happens to meat when it freezes, you only need to consider what happens to water when it freezes. As water turns from liquid to solid state at sub-zero temperatures, it expands and crystallizes. This is true for the water that is bound up in meat protein as well. When meat is frozen, the constituent water expands and crystallizes.

If you’ve ever eaten meat that was thawed after having been frozen you will remember (or try to forget) the mushy texture that is often the result: grilled striploins that can feel like mashed peas in your mouth.

https://www.westsidebeef.com/blog/what-happens-to-meat-when-it-freezes/

^^^^

File gumbo , was up early this morning ,  crabs cleaned , shrimp , hot sausage , chicken breast , onions , bell peppers , garlic , celery , two cans of Blue runner gumbo base , a can of rotell , 2 cans of cream of mushroom condensed soup , this that and some other , just did a sample bowl , you could sell this stuff in a restaurant for  $15 a bowl , picture is deceiving that is a big pot  ---- having a riding party today , going to pick up 20 pounds of 10-15 shrimp about 8:30 and going to boil them , the shrimp were caught last night , was on the phone with my buddy while he was out on the boat , they are not killing them , but it has picked up after that storm blew all the good salty water in 

fullsizeoutput_ca8.jpeg

• Like 2

LedFted, there is a temp sensor on the evaporator coil in the freezer section. A timer starts your defrost for a predetermined time. But usually the coils are deiced before then, the sensor opens stopping the heater and freezer will restart when timed out. So I'm guessing you have a bad defrost sensor.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:09 PM, PROV said:

LedFted, there is a temp sensor on the evaporator coil in the freezer section. A timer starts your defrost for a predetermined time. But usually the coils are deiced before then, the sensor opens stopping the heater and freezer will restart when timed out. So I'm guessing you have a bad defrost sensor.

it has the longest defrost cycle i ever seen, anywhere. anytime. i been around awhile.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:12 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

possibly ??  but once meat  thaws, the clock that measures its edible phase begins to tick, personaly i wouldn't chance it .... my grandmother was a home economics teacher for many many years .... she would have  never thought to re freeze meat specially poulty. 

https://www.westsidebeef.com/blog/what-happens-to-meat-when-it-freezes/

^^^^

i understand this. below zero, depends on what scale you use. on the F-scale it is below 32. the C-scale, is 0, but it is below 32F that stuff freezes. 32f=0c.

my grandmother was 92, when she died. the refrigerators, and freezers, during her time, were not as good. Been about 7 years or so, since she crossed over. i pack meat in plastic, newspaper, and freezer paper., though not in that order. most, if not all air, can get to it. IMO. the freezer in the upstairs, refrigerator, runs defrost constant. the floor freezer, in the basement, dont run defrost. i think it was supposed to, but it dont. it makes a difference in texture and taste. the ice buildup downstairs, is from the humidity in the atmosphere. it takes many years. as far as ice crystals, destroying cell structure. it dont happen. as long as things are wrapped proper, ice crystals dont form. freezer paper plays an important role. though i use plastic as in zip-lock, plastic wrap of a certain brand, newspaper plays a role as well..

On June 3, 2020 at 6:55 AM, PROV said:

Venison will break down faster than beef. Different kinds of meats have different rates. Vacuum sealing helps the most. If the meat is bloody when you thaw it that's because it wasn't frozen fast enough. If you put in a pile of meat to freeze it should be spread out so each package freezes faster. Otherwise you actually get small ice crystals in the meat that cut it and let the juice flow out. As a side note I always butcher my deer within one or two days and it tastes FAR better than game that has been hanging. Ages far faster than beef etc.

^^^^^ i tend to listen to the experts..... sounds like prov knows ....

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Thanks 1

Was fortunate enough to get to Alaska last year, got out a package of Halibut put them on the grill, turned out great! Wife had a couple of salads made up, ate pretty good!

IMG_1894.JPG

• Like 4

Akaushi Brisket for the 4th, man it was good!!!!!!!! Put the Jack Stack Meat & Poultry rub on it, wrapped it in plastic wrap for 4 hours, then smoked for 14 hours!!!!!!! Melt in your mouth!!!!!!

IMG_1673.jpeg

IMG_1674.jpeg

• Like 1

@Dnolley024, you got me hungry !!!!V   You'll got it going on , thanks for the tip on the " Jack Stack Meat & Poultry rub  " , going to look for it ---I am checking out your heat deflector pan under the grill , what's is it aluminum foil , a pan or both   ??? 

8 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

@Dnolley024, you got me hungry !!!!V   You'll got it going on , thanks for the tip on the " Jack Stack Meat & Poultry rub  " , going to look for it ---I am checking out your heat deflector pan under the grill , what's is it aluminum foil , a pan or both   ??? 

Looking at those made me hungry too!!!! Lol. 
But, on the Traeger smokers, the heat deflector is under that piece. That is the drip tray, it sits in there at an angle so that the grease runs down into a little bucket. It’s a great idea to avoid flare ups and all that. I put foil on the drip tray for easy clean up 👍

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh stuffed jalapeño peppers!! now your talking !! you sure it, going on! what was the stuffing ? 

That’s some cream cheese with some of my homemade rub sprinkled in, soy sauce, and parmesan cheese. D-elicious!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I like the drip pan idea , going to steal it from you , I am usually the chef , let my buddy's daughter cook one time , my patio celling is like 12 ft , flames were touching the roof , she don't cook by my house no more 

• Haha 1

We do a lot of poppers too , lot of work prepping them , another reason I like to be the cook , cause I got to test a few along the way , LOL    ---  my favorite is with a shrimp , but boudin will do .... 

• Like 2