Fishfiles

Food Channel

feeder corn, i believe aint for human consumption, besides it dont have any flavor, less you count the worms,inside the kernel, was long ago. least it had protein. the guy next door, lost use of his legs in his old age from spraying 2 4D or whatever, he is gone now, for a while he still worked after.

still need a garden, for fresh food, mators,okra. the seeds sold now aint the okra, of my past. nor the mators, or anything else. its like you get bad seed or plants, weather. i miss a good garden. homemade mator juice, a lost art, canning. was in my youth..

no shell corn isn't unless you wish for new teeth....... lol, but it still comes from the same corn plant (yellow) you just have to pick it in the right stage .... if you peel back the husk, and puncher a couple kernels  with your thumb nail, and no juice comes out , your close depending on , well, just your taste ..... i always picked mine in the later milk stage..... just a bit later is when it's chopped for silage.... but like i said before.... i wouldn't chance consuming field corn, these days... 

Edited by _Wilson_™

My Dad always had gardens and I did it later in life , mostly from him , but I did enjoy it  , we lived in New Orleans East and the soil was good ,anything grew well , now that I live on the NorthShore , only thing grows good is grass , weeds and trees 

• Like 1

Ironic , all the talk about corn and this video found me .... Boom Corn 

• Like 2

In 1972 I had a job at  Karamel Corn , a place at the mall that sold gourmet popcorn , I was 14 and had to lie about my age to get the job ,  made $1.90 per hour , lasted the summer , I made the Caramel and cheese popcorn ,  popped the corn in a big copper pot with a boat paddle , then added the topping and stirred some more , so I guess I was a popcorn chef 

It went something like this but a pot three times the size 

I done a one pound count and came up with 8 shrimp to the pound.These were $5 a pound.  Kind of pricey right now.  

They peeled  perfect. I think I got the cook and soak timing on shrimp to a science.  Outside method. Drop the shrimp into the water boiling hard. Stir them around with the paddle.    2 minutes on big shrimp , 1 minute for medium and small  , from the time the shrimp hit the water turn off the flame. At this point  , If and how hard your water will be boiling depends on your burner , pot and amount of water. But it don’t matter about the degree of boil as they will cook as long as the water is hot.  And you don’t need a hard rolling boil. The beginning of bubbling boil is all you need.  I had 10 gallons of water with 20 pounds of shrimp. All the fixing where boiled in a first boil. Potatoes corn sausage mushrooms onions garlic celery bell peppers etc with 1/2 the powered , bagged and liquid seasonings. When boiling the fixings you add things on the degree of how fast the cook.  Potatoes and garlic 15 minute minimal first. The other 1/2 of seasoning goes in before the shrimp boil.  So at the two minute mark and fire off I hose the side of the pot and burner for  1 minute.  They are ready for the soak.   I fill a wash tub with water and put the pot into the tub with the hose running in the tub and overflowing for a couple of minutes. Then when when you can stuck you finger in the water and it be still warm turn off the hose ,  they can soak as long as you want for the rest of the day if you want. The longer the better for them to soak up seasoning. 

nothing worst than over cooked shrimp that you can’t peel 

84C9AEAE-607A-4915-A5A2-C1AC91B9A241.jpeg

A6848327-206D-4B05-85F5-08D213224642.jpeg

• Like 2

Tomorrow is my birthday , I wanted shrimp , so I stopped by my buddies seafood store yesterday , Louisiana's shrimp season is still closed for two more weeks , these are Bayou La Baturre  frozen on the boat Gulf caught shrimp , count is  16-20 for $4.50 a pound , plan on boiling the majority , wrapping some in bacon with a slice of jalepeono pepper and cream cheese  and sticking some on sticks then on the grill 

Was given a special treat that was suppose to be for tomorrow , but we hit a few shots  again yesterday evening , some white lightning from the Great Moonshine State of Mississippi , it is so smooth , got about 1/2 left , might have to do a round of shots before cutting the chocolate Do'Bash cake for me and a Chantilly fruit cake for my buddy's wife who's birthday was yesterday and not sure what other cake as we are celebrating three birthdays tomorrow , my grand daughter's birthday is the same day as mine , she is going to be 7 , I got her , her first  bike with no training wheels , hope she don't wipe out 

fullsizeoutput_cfc.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dnolley024 said:

Good stuff Fish, happy birthday brother!!!!!!

Thanks for the Birthday Wish , going to hit a hole tomorrow for you !!!! 

Happy Bday man.  Had to eat my lunch before 11AM this morning after looking at this thread.  Made me hungry!

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

hope y'all have a great week.... happy birthday to you, and the grand daughter. 

Thanks.  Wife told me she wants to take me out to eat tonight and pay for it.   So the weekend is starting good.  

• Like 1

Happy Birthday -- behave yourself

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 1

your welcome.... now let me get this straight.... she'll take you out to dinner, (go to a nice place) but won't pay for damages to pinky when she goes riding ? this is your chance to get even for the next time she goes riding on pinky... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

your welcome.... now let me get this straight.... she'll take you out to dinner, (go to a nice place) but won't pay for damages to pinky when she goes riding ? this is your chance to get even for the next time she goes riding on pinky... 

I am going to get even tonight , I am ordering the big filet with grilled shrimp on top ,  loaded baked potato , salad and a blooming onion appertizer , I am picking Outback SteakHouse 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lol!.... i had to bring that up after recalling that post in the other thread.... she backed out of that one, but this is a locked deal.. lol. as in the other post.... i never said a word... .. I'm just worried about pinky... that bike has had a hard life... 

• Like 1

I hit the wife in her pocket book last night , wound up going to Jamie Brown's in Lacombe for my birthday dinner , and didn't even glance over at the prices , went BIG ,  got the 10 ounce rib-eye in a wine and butter sauce with mushrooms , well done on the outside , loaded potato , chilled asparagus ,  fried onion rings , a house salad and triple chocolate cheese cake and coffee , I was watching her as she had to brush the spider webs off her wallet , and I seen moths come out when she opened it , LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

haha! .... that pay back sounded good! did she have any kind of expression,on her face, or comment ? now the big question.... did she go riding today...  i know the way you think.... I'd almost be willing to bet money you might let her in on.... the reason for this little payback.... :-) 

image.jpg

I don't even know what in looking at in the picture,  everything looks way out of wack

5 hours ago, TBRider said:

I don't even know what in looking at in the picture,  everything looks way out of wack

It was out of wack bad , she ran into a tree  , hard ---- 

no , the wife  didn't ride today , grand daughter is over so she was busy ,  good thing , might have been a re-peat ^^^^ --- 

• Like 1

I slept till 8:45 , a record of me , must have been the food !!! I can actually say I feel older today ----  lol