Fishfiles

Food Channel

I did learn some thing new , they put peanut butter all over  the chicken , then sprinkled it with chili powder , it is very good , I am not even a fam of peanut butter , but you really don't taste it as peanut butter.

I've heard if this before, but never tried it .... (going in the list) 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Today the wife is cooking two pans of lasagna , garlic bread and salad , she is on it now ,  I got to say that is the wife's best signature dinner

i think you passed me her recipe .. a while back.... i have not fixed it in a while ... but lasagna .. if a favorite of mine ... the ex GF made some that was killer layer, after layer ... not sure what sauce she used, but lots of ricotta cheese... that the only chez she would use .. best i recall. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

hey fish .... you recall the post about armadillo , a little bit... of information i came up on was those stuffed jalapeño peppers (poppers) are also called armadillo eggs ... lol, but i believe some maybe stuffed with armadillo meat ??

• Like 1

black beans are underestimated. the local stores have then in cans, though ya might have to look, in the spanish isle. lots of good food there.

2 cans of black beans, 1 can of diced mators, an an onion, chopped, is a good start. go from there.

Chick peas, also called Garbanzos, are decent, if not better, kinda butter taste, natural flavor. 75% protein.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I've heard if this before, but never tried it .... (going in the list) 

i think you passed me her recipe .. a while back.... i have not fixed it in a while ... but lasagna .. if a favorite of mine ... the ex GF made some that was killer layer, after layer ... not sure what sauce she used, but lots of ricotta cheese... that the only chez she would use .. best i recall. 

It smells so good in here right now , just got back from the flea market and when I walked in door , yummmmm ------  I think I might have told you about my ex-mother in law's lasagna recipe , she did it right , three kinds of meat and three kinds of cheeses , she would do pulled Boston Butt , Italian sausage out the casing and ground meat , the cheeses were Ricotta , Cheddar on the top and I can't remember the other cheese at the moment  , kind of thinking Mozzarella , but CRS  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

hey fish .... you recall the post about armadillo , a little bit... of information i came up on was those stuffed jalapeño peppers (poppers) are also called armadillo eggs ... lol, but i believe some maybe stuffed with armadillo meat ??

A possum on a half shell ....  big duddle bug 

• Haha 1

yeah that's it ... i nominate y'all to cook one .. lol ... i still can't wrap my head around the idea of cooking a Dilla... 

17 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

black beans are underestimated. the local stores have then in cans, though ya might have to look, in the spanish isle. lots of good food there.

2 cans of black beans, 1 can of diced mators, an an onion, chopped, is a good start. go from there.

Chick peas, also called Garbanzos, are decent, if not better, kinda butter taste, natural flavor. 75% protein.

go for the dry black beans ... they go a lot further then canned beans ... plus have a long shefl life ... those were the first food items to disappear .. when that stupid virus panic started ...

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 9:23 AM, Fishfiles said:

I got to say them black beans was  a good one you put me on there and a hit ----

I cooked them suckers for 5 hours , was expecting a little more creamy gravy  in them , like red beans do , didn't mention this , I added a can of Cambell's Cream of roasted garlic for cooking , the thick stuff  , could have gone with two cans , maybe I could have mashed a few 

Today the wife is cooking two pans of lasagna , garlic bread and salad , she is on it now ,  I got to say that is the wife's best signature dinner , she follows recipes word for word -----  I am more like wing it , little of this and a lot of that ------   I am going to do a dozen  poppers in the oven for an appetizer 

celery does give food a little taste , I really like it more for the chew 

Ha, I use canned black beans! 

Cooking a pot of that stuff usually takes me <30 mins to get it cooking, and I let it simmer for 2-3 hours before I eat it. 

It gets better every time it's reheated.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2020 at 12:01 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

go for the dry black beans ... they go a lot further then canned beans ... plus have a long shefl life ... those were the first food items to disappear .. when that stupid virus panic started ...

tried dry black beans once. the local stores must leave on the shelf, till they are sold. no matter how long ya soaked those beans, they never got soft.

the only thing they were good for was a slingshot. small, but if ya could hit your target, it would be like a jellybean round.

Skyline Chili, is the only restaurant, that has black beans. Cincinnati, Ohio, is where skyline started. not true chili., but ya can stand to eat it. at least it aint spaghetti, thats Italian, and it should not pass for chili, no more than Italian food, should pass for Tex-Mex.

24 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

tried dry black beans once. the local stores must leave on the shelf, till they are sold. no matter how long ya soaked those beans, they never got soft.

the only thing they were good for was a slingshot. small, but if ya could hit your target, it would be like a jellybean round.

Skyline Chili, is the only restaurant, that has black beans. Cincinnati, Ohio, is where skyline started. not true chili., but ya can stand to eat it. at least it aint spaghetti, thats Italian, and it should not pass for chili, no more than Italian food, should pass for Tex-Mex.

not sure what you did to the food thread haha!  dry bean don't have a shelf life as long as the moisture is kept right, just soak them over night and they will swell and soften, canned beans do have a shelf life, and a bag of dry beans will go a lot further  then canned beans plus you can season them anyway you wish

Edited by _Wilson_™

16 of your quote  post so far then i guess the forums stops the post flooding too funny!! i used to deal with hackers who pulled this same stunt on msn .... 

Edited by _Wilson_™

i said something, i shouldnt have said. though meant in jest, at the time, it was the wrong thing to say.

that could be true also. best i shut down, before i disrupt the forum.

This weekend I cooked some Great Northern White beans : I did red , black and white on the least few weekends , these are the best , everyone oved them 

Beans soaked over night in water , just beans boiled for 3 hours in Mexican seasonings con'coc'shun I mixed up  , added Onions , garlic , celery , bell peppers , Rotel , can of Roasted Garlic condensed , Double D sausage , pound of ground meat , lea and perrins , chahula , seasonings and cooked for 2 hours more on low crock pot 

meet with my buddy at his shrimp boat early and he gave me about 25 pounds of some 16-20 count  shrimp ,  boiled them , but forgot to take any pics , still have about 15 pounds boiled left to eat today 

Stuck a few of the smallest shrimp out the pile on sticks with some lemon , butter and seasonings , did this early before early one came over , so I was able to snag 3 of them of them bad boys  , it would have been good with me to say grill them all , that pic was at the being of cooking , the finished product was golden with a bit of crispy black on the ends , heavenly 

my buddies boat is really nice , it was his Dad's , 1975 it was built , 2 - 6 cylinder Detroit Diesels in it , all hydraulic , a/c cab , it is called a skimmer rig , the nets fold out like wings , when the water gets shallow those sleds slide along the bottom , it acts like two trawls , the tails can be picked up and dumped while stilling moving on 

Had a great time , I didn't ride , my buddies did , I sat on the patio and drank 20+ beers , 6 shots of Crown , ate all kinds of foods , brownies , cup  cakes , and plan on doing again today , except the 20 beers , maybe just about 12 , LOL 

fullsizeoutput_d74.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d77.jpeg

6rIC8ntaT+6SJEkmQJ1+hg.jpg

• Like 4

Another interesting story , before there was a bridge at Chef Pass ,which is that body of water you are looking at in front of the boat pic , there was a ferry that took trucks and cars across , when they discontinued the ferry after the bridge was built back in the 40s , my buddy's Dad Big Archie bought the landing dock and land  , the water hits really hard right there , 40 foot drop off right off the bank and 80 ft deep in the middle , the bank keeps falling in , a few years back the wharf which is all torn up at the end , had a wharf wing net on it that could be lowered into the water and the tide would flow thru and they would kill the shrimp , Artie's wife ran the wharf net with his son helping her while he was out skimming the Pass , the pounds caught at that spot are staggering numbers , many 10, 000 plus pounds nights , the frame and rigging all went into the water a few hurricanes back , our buddy Johnny has a wharf net around the bend to the left , he had 6,000 pound Monday night and over a ton every night since , the processing dock is only paying $1.80 a pound for 10-15s and $1.60 for 16-20s , the same shrimp sell for $5.99  -  $6.99 in seafood markets down here , that ain't right , they should be getting $3.50 a pound 

• Like 1

Got to give the wife an honorable mention for her lasagna last weekend , good stuff ----   notice the specks on the plate , it's after the fact seasoning , as she is light on it when she cooks 

I think I am going to do lasagna next weekend  with three meats and three cheeses  >>>>>  might even do this recipe I was given by my buddies live in girl friend with seafood  shrimp , crabmeat and squash or egg plant lasagna between the layers with cheese 

fullsizeoutput_d71.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

now .... i could go for that, looks very tasty! what kind of season was added ? 

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

now .... i could go for that, looks very tasty! what kind of season was added ? 

That seasoning I use is my special blend.  All mixed up in one container.  Garlic and onion powder.  Crushed black pepper. McCormick roasted garlic.  And what ever else is around when I am mixing it up.  Tony C. , Slap Ya Mama , season-all , 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 7:11 AM, Fishfiles said:

This weekend I cooked some Great Northern White beans : I did red , black and white on the least few weekends , these are the best , everyone oved them 

Beans soaked over night in water , just beans boiled for 3 hours in Mexican seasonings con'coc'shun I mixed up  , added Onions , garlic , celery , bell peppers , Rotel , can of Roasted Garlic condensed , Double D sausage , pound of ground meat , lea and perrins , chahula , seasonings and cooked for 2 hours more on low crock pot 

meet with my buddy at his shrimp boat early and he gave me about 25 pounds of some 16-20 count  shrimp ,  boiled them , but forgot to take any pics , still have about 15 pounds boiled left to eat today 

Stuck a few of the smallest shrimp out the pile on sticks with some lemon , butter and seasonings , did this early before early one came over , so I was able to snag 3 of them of them bad boys  , it would have been good with me to say grill them all , that pic was at the being of cooking , the finished product was golden with a bit of crispy black on the ends , heavenly 

my buddies boat is really nice , it was his Dad's , 1975 it was built , 2 - 6 cylinder Detroit Diesels in it , all hydraulic , a/c cab , it is called a skimmer rig , the nets fold out like wings , when the water gets shallow those sleds slide along the bottom , it acts like two trawls , the tails can be picked up and dumped while stilling moving on 

Had a great time , I didn't ride , my buddies did , I sat on the patio and drank 20+ beers , 6 shots of Crown , ate all kinds of foods , brownies , cup  cakes , and plan on doing again today , except the 20 beers , maybe just about 12 , LOL 

fullsizeoutput_d74.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d77.jpeg

6rIC8ntaT+6SJEkmQJ1+hg.jpg

bought some shrimp at Costco, Atlantic cod also, the cod, musta been injected with water. after i thought i used enough paper towels, i though i'd got the water out, still wet after seared.,

the shrimp, peeled an de-veined, came from china. i never seen shrimp shrink so much, i never seen shrimp stay at the bottom if the kettle when boiling., and it had no flavor.

1/8 of the size coming out of the pot, 12 % of what it was going into the pot.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, LedFTed said:

bought some shrimp at Costco, Atlantic cod also, the cod, musta been injected with water. after i thought i used enough paper towels, i though i'd got the water out, still wet.,

the shrimp, peeled an de-veined, came from china. i never seen shrimp shrink so much, i never seen shrimp stay at the bottom if the kettle when boiling., and it had no flavor.

1/8 of the size coming out of the pot, 12 % or what it was going into the pot.

'ted 

You are so right about them frozen imported shrimp , like the ones you get at Walmart in a bag ,  they are tasteless , chewy and shrink to microscopic size when cooked and some have a heavy iodine taste from the IQF process  -------   those shrimp I boiled this weekend were sweet , tender and very tasty , caught and iced down hours before they were in my possession 

• Like 1

On November 1, 2020 at 1:04 AM, LedFTed said:

ive tried all of the local grocery stores, here, even Kroger, i agree with you both, you can't find  good quality shrimp in columbia, unless you hit a high end restaurant, i can't recall the last time I've had good plump great tasting shrimp. 

• Like 2