Fishfiles

Food Channel

3 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

is the box blue an white? more or less?

I don't know Ted , I'd have to ask her and she ain't home , will get back with ya !!!! ----

Cornbread is ok , I have ate it when it was real good , loaded up with peppers , bacon and stuff , but she cooks it plain Jane ----  I'd rather Garlic French  Bread or some Texas Toast --- I am not really a bread guy , I am a Meat Man , LOL 

• Like 1

I got a call today from my buddy Mo's wife , says she has a 13 pound turkey , did I want to try smoking it , I said bring it on , never did a turkey  before but I ain't scared ---- so  she is going to drop it in my fridge tomorrow and she is going to make some home-made mash potatoes for this Saturday coming party --- 

Going to watch a few You-Tube turkey smoking videos and be an expert by this weekend 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

I got a call today from my buddy Mo's wife , says she has a 13 pound turkey , did I want to try smoking it , I said bring it on , never did a turkey  before but I ain't scared ---- so  she is going to drop it in my fridge tomorrow and she is going to make some home-made mash potatoes for this Saturday coming party --- 

Going to watch a few You-Tube turkey smoking videos and be an expert by this weekend 

Highly recommend brining it overnight before you smoke it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, slowindown said:

Highly recommend brining it overnight before you smoke it.

You mean ,  take it out the fridge and get it to room temperature ? 

have you never tried the jalapeño cornbread i posted here, fish ? it's off the hook good! it would great with just any soups, or stews you cook up, one day.. I'm going to crash y'all's place just for the food, lol! I'll bring shade .. for the shrimp pickup. 

1 cup flour, 1.25 cornbread., 1/2 teaspoon of salt. 1/8 cup of brown sugar or so.  whisked well, in another bowl 2 eggs,[large eggs are so small any more], i cup sour cream,1/4 cup milk more or less, 2 tablespoons of canola oil, or just a bit more. combine the dry, with the wet, whisk good.  20 mins. at 425F. an adaptation from the Fanny Farmer cookbook.

i forgot i added dice onions.

Edited by LedFTed

i don't know Ted .... like i said i don't use flour, and never heard of sour cream used in the mix for cornbread  ....give it a try as is... and let us know, sounds interesting. 

Learned  already , 13 pounder , a little over 3 hours , 165 ----cutting it in half looks good , but seen another video where the guy stuffed the turkey , which sounds good , but then it won't cook as good not being cut , he can keep the brine solution , I am going injection ---  decisions / decisions 

13 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i don't know Ted .... like i said i don't use flour, and never heard of sour cream used in the mix for cornbread  ....give it a try as is... and let us know, sounds interesting. 

i have tried it. i dont like the buttermilk, that Kroger sells anymore. so i substituted sour cream, an less milk in the original recipe.

of course the original recipe didnt call for buttermilk.

i forgot i also added, diced onions.

Edited by LedFTed

well, i was thinking the original recipe..... i can't advise on using sour cream , except I've never heard of it used in a cornbread mix. what did the original call for ?? 

we have two conversations going on, I'm going to back out, and keep up with fish, and slowin on the turkey cook, but if the recipe calls for milk, that's what I'd do, i make mine from a recipe i learned years ago, best i can offer, Ted. mines posted way back i this thread. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Milk, it was long before 2%. even before self-rising flour. baking powder, and such. the hog lard days. anyway, i just wanted to know about, using flour or not.. sour cream works well, for cornbread ...

i have tried it, 2 or so times. ya still gotta mix a bit of milk. i liked it., so did those that tried it.

Edited by LedFTed
forgot

27 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

You mean ,  take it out the fridge and get it to room temperature ? 

No i mean getting a cup of salt and a cup of brown sugar plus some pepper and garlic powder and mixing it with some water in a bucket. Then putting the turkey in the bucket and both in the frig overnight. 

Makes it extra juicy. 

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I don't know Ted , I'd have to ask her and she ain't home , will get back with ya !!!! ----

Cornbread is ok , I have ate it when it was real good , loaded up with peppers , bacon and stuff , but she cooks it plain Jane ----  I'd rather Garlic French  Bread or some Texas Toast --- I am not really a bread guy , I am a Meat Man , LOL 

meat an taters, hard to turn to greens an such. i like it all.  cept rhubarb and some stuff. i'll tell y'all this, the center of celery, yellowish is better than the outside. i done made the mistake of telling one of my sisters, thus cutting off some of my supply. before, the stringy stuff was fine, in celery., the best part is the center.

i cook 4 things at once, in a skillet. mators, beans, onions, and greens. just divide the skillet into 1/4s,.. sometimes it gets mixed up, but it does anyway, in the long run..

as far as deer meat, the older the deer is, accounts for wild, or rank meat, gamey. does are better as taste, so are younger deer. shot a 6 pointer once, taste good. maybe its only how ya cook.

the tenderloin, runs from the tail, to the base of the skull, then ya got the sweet meat. roast an stuff, still taste good. tender, if cooked the right way.

ya cant pressure cook wild game. an expect it to be the same, as beef. most beef is over pressure cooked anyway.

Injected  and rubbed the turkey and got it on the smoker , threw in some chunks of mesquite wood to start it off ----- going to try something and don't know how it is going to work out , I got a bag of mesquite pellets , have a electric smoker , on the bottom is a heating rod on top of some lava rock looking rocks , think by throwing in the pellets it will burn and give the smoke ---- the time has me wondering , one video says 3 hours for 13 pound burc the other says 6 hours , I am sure it all depends on your smoker -----  

I am about to head over to Academy and see if they have a wireless thermometer with a remote monitor  

• Like 2

By the time the meat got to 165 degrees  , it was blackened bird , but delicious , very juicy and flavorful ---  the caucus with meat scrapes was boiled to make some okra/smoked turkey gumbo for today   

5KPxqH1CQz6cCUH0F41l6g.jpg

• Like 2

you have me thinking it's about time to break out with my stuffed cornish hens for tomorrow. it won't be doing anything but raining, and nothing much to do in the shop. 

image.jpg

Shrimp was on the menu yesterday :

Shrimp salad on crackers:

well seasoned boiled shrimp cut in chunks , onions , celery , garlic , boiled eggs , Burbon dill pickles , banana peppers , grated cheese , Horse Raddish , real Hellmann's mayo and generous shaking of the 7 dry spice mix

Shrimp on the stick :

it is what you see , except a stick of butter and a squeeze of lemon juice right at the end 

fullsizeoutput_e3d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e3c.jpeg

• Like 1

that looks good, fish.

for NASCAR , grilled steaks, (ribeye) a giant ,loaded salad, green onions, diced eggs, avocado, radishes, cheery tomatoes, bacon, and a few other items,   i haven't desided on steak frys, or baked potato .... 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

'Kabobs :  I have read where they give credit to Gangas Kang credit for inventing the shis'ka'bob , word is , his troops traveled light , so no kitchen for meals , the warriors would hold their meat over the fire with their swords --- but from watching so much Forged inFire , seems the heat would affect the temper of the blades , maybe back then they didn't know better , or didn't care cause they were hungry 

Them shrimp 'kabobs were so good yesterday , I made some steak 'kabobs for today ---oh the steak is chuck eye =  poor man's rib-eye --- you seen the price on rib-eye lately , wonder if you can do a Spam 'ka'bob , LOL 

well it's 5 o'clock some where 

fullsizeoutput_e3e.jpeg

• Like 1

if i had to choose again, i probobly would have made gs chili, would be perfect with these cold temps, i haven't made it in quiet a while. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Channel catfish dinner. Milk, Tony Cacheres Cajun seasoning, Zatarains Fish Fri, and the General’s Danger Close hot sauce. I better eat some ice cream.

5071CD48-C3B7-4CFF-B02E-3B6C485E3859.jpeg

6F20652A-DAA5-4291-8351-0123BCAB8E96.jpeg

6A584151-5374-44C5-B889-ADDE9AD80B14.jpeg

• Like 3