Fishfiles

Food Channel

What do you eat at your riding parties or tailgating ? 

Being tomorrow is Thanksgiving , I been doing some cooking in preparation , just finished a pot of Gumbo , shrimp , lump crab meat , oysters , sausage and shredded chicken breast  ----a pan of oyster dressing that I kicked up with oysters , small cut shrimp chunks and crab meat , going to put that pan in a baking pan , bread crumbs sprinkled on top and some lemon slices  then in the oven for 1/2 hour ----  oven cooked turkey breast , crock pot pork roast and gravy , mash potatoes , candied yams , dinner rolls  ---- Saints play at 7:30 Thanksgiving night , I  hope to not be knocked out on the sofa by then , cause the tops will be spinning off them Coors Lite bottles at 10:00am or so 

fullsizeoutput_ad9.jpeg

• Like 2

From what my Grandmother use to tell me , gumbo was a dish she cooked to clean out the ice box , you made it with what ever you had left over , be it chicken , turkey , ducks , deer meat  ,  shrimp , crabs , etc , so it was a cheap dish -------   not no more , this year prices are high , lump peeled crab meat $21.99 a pound , peeled shrimp $7.00 a pound , shucked oysters $47.50 for a half gallon ( 3 pounds of meat /no water )  , it was over $100 for these two dishes and I pulled  24 of the biggest oysters  out for char-broiling on the grill as an appetizer tomorrow  and have two $8 each stuffed artichokes that I am going to steam , but worth every mouthful , I am going to hit it up this evening for sure 

Them guys I use to work with offshore were from the west side of Louisiana and they ate their gumbo different then we do over here on the east side , they would put a scoop of potato salad in the bowl and put the gumbo over it , I eat it with some rice 

• Like 2

From what my Grandmother use to tell me , gumbo was a dish she cooked to clean out the ice box , you made it with what ever you had left over , be it chicken , turkey , ducks , deer meat  ,  shrimp , crabs , etc , so it was a cheap dish -------

sounds like something my grandmother use make (homemade cupboard soup) which included cleaning out the ice box. She was a home economics teacher. 

• Like 2

This weekend I plan on throwing some ribs and chickens on the smoker. I'm a bad one about taking pictures and usually use snap chat when teasing friends about eats. I did find a few from past cooks, nothing like some homemade bacon and smoked ham.

20190412_145840 (1).jpg

20181006_132502 (1).jpg

• Like 4

TooDeep , you are the man , that looks delicious  !!!!  We got us a new chef Wilson !!!! ---- 

I would guess you are glazing it with that Coke-Cola on the side ? 

My Uncle use to glaze his hams in the oven with Coke till it was black on the outside  , with tooth picks holding  chunks of pineapple and cherries all over it 

Boiling some rice right now , wife and I are going to try out some gumbo and then off to the grocery store for the rest of the Thanksgiving Day  supplies , I  plan on doing a pork roast and gravy in the Nija Crock Pot and use that pork gravy on the turkey ------need some dessert , thinking Key Lime Pie , maybe Turtle Pie , shoot maybe both , it is a wonder I don't weigh 300 pounds 

• Like 2

I think I did a coke/honey glaze on that one but can't remember for sure. I try something different all the time and then forget the one I really like.. lol That coke in the pic is a filler for the Morgan..😁

• Like 3

[qoute]We got us a new chef Wilson !!!! ---- [/quote]

thanks for the kind words. But you and toodeep are kings! , i know just enough to be dangerous, I've got more learning to do. NOW... those extra forks.... I do t mind @ all! 

• Like 1

I was thinking a Cubian Libra at first  , but seen that glaze going on , Wilson thought me to look deep into the pic and see what's going on , LOL , he is good at spotting the little things that regular nonchalant folks never notice , so take warning what you leave lying around ! 

Wilson , I seen your work , you cook up some fine meals , I would eat what  you cook any day

You guys are going to make me hungry. I'm not much of a chef, if it can't be cooked in a microwave it's pretty much outside my comfort zone lol.

• Like 3

1828585097_gEVUPixzRqUBgm6GTXyg.thumb.jpg.de59dac836b10d03e94a3126765ce185.jpg

Ninja Pork Roast , my buddy has a garlic farm in that was his Dad's , his  Dad was experimenting with LSU Agriculture and his best two garlics are the small Tootsie Pop looking purple which is like eating HorseRadish when eatin' raw , and Elephant garlic which one toe is twice the size of the whole bulb in the pic of the Purple , I love garlic , heard it is good for you , will even keep the fleas off your dog if you give the dog some ------- but anyways I stuck the knife into the pork and stuffed garlic toes in , then rubbed it with my 7 different seasonings mixed in one bottle , Lea and Perrin's , two cans of condensed for cooking Creme of Mushroom , wanted roasted garlic but the shelves were wiped out at the store , and a couple of dry packs of Lipton onion dry Secret recipe miix , a stick of Land of lakes butter , more chopped garlic , and 5 hours in the Nija on crook low , the gravy is going to be Sassy'bon ( spell check me on that one ) , this Nija is a bad mother jammer , it will stove top cook also , one of my buddies put me on it for deer meat  , and we use it at least once a week 

eVCXRV8GS5i7%ZX8zQrGMQ.jpg

eYX4cb1XTcm+qLYFksQ1kg.jpg

Tm2YnBKLTc2lOCF%UbZeIA.jpg

DorUK5CiRa+bFDx6eBSsnA.jpg

• Like 1

I loved garlic but about 4 years ago my body changed with age and now it gives me send you to the hospital heartburn. Even garlic powder about kills me which is sad. Needless to say, I'd still sit down and eat with you. It looks good. 

• Like 1

just put my butterball turkey in the oven. i'm like mac, if it dont say microwave on it ?, i'm out of luck !..lol.

• Like 2

I know how you feel TooDeep , I love that new  Popeye's  chicken sandwich , the hot version perferablly , the mild is bland , but it don't like me , but sometimes , it is worth the price to have one 

My wife turned off the timer on the turkey , cause she was boiling eggs for some potato salad , can't complain on that too much  , I didn't pay attention to the time in went in , so it is guesstimate from this point on , I am going to jam a thermometer in it , maybe go get the infrared digital thermometer out the work truck LO 

45 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I loved garlic but about 4 years ago my body changed with age and now it gives me send you to the hospital heartburn. Even garlic powder about kills me which is sad. Needless to say, I'd still sit down and eat with you. It looks good. 

Me & Garlic don't take at all (heartburn) -- I also have a couple of burn out valves 

WOW , that looks some good !!!! I can smell it over the net , or maybe it is that 35 mph wind outside .....  

I did some cooking last night for today ,  no pics ----- I made some stuffed militon bread stuffing with shrimp , which is also called a coyote pear , it is like a sweet squash , and a pot of jambalaya with shrimp  and sausage , the sausage is some deer 50% / Boston butt 50% / pepper jack cheese / pine apple , this was somme of the best sausage I ate in a while 

Yesterday it was just the wife and I , and she don't eat oysters raw or charbroiled , she eats them only if  they are in stuffing or gumbo , so this 2 dozen charbroiled was all for me , my favorite way is simple , butter , Lea and Perrin's and three cheese mix ( Romano , Parmesan and Assagio ) , had some pistolettes toasted crisp , cut in thin slices to dip in that  juice , with a side plate of militon/ shrimp stuffing , man o' man , it was good mSs35IQOQf2AaK9GHZynuw.thumb.jpg.e739790fcaa00c6b424c9d1d1fe367db.jpg

LOKWKWKLQXi5%qyVw1yzLQ.jpg

t18vT6jqRPiNlk9r4uLlHA.jpg

• Like 4

That looks amazing fish.  All of it.

Those chargrilled oysters are awesome.  I like the bienville too.

• Like 1

Thanks Jeep , charbroiled oysters  are good any way you dress them up !! 

Oysters took a hard hit this year , opening of the Mississippi River  Spillway into Lake Ponchartrain for flood control , not once but twice , first time that ever happened that twice in the same year it was opening , that introduced massive amounts of fresh water into the estuaries and killed oyster reefs , the price is high and limited availability ---- they sure are good to me , no matter how they are cooked or not cooked as raw is my favorite if the oysters are salty and fat ------

while in high school , my buddies dad had a seafood store in Lake View , New Orleans , they shucked oyster there to sell , coming from a oyster'fishing family I can shuck oysters with the best of them , except the Veitnamese women , I need to video them at work over at Cast Net Seafood , amazing to watch them work ------ so  I use to shuck them in the evenings and at night during the week for the seafood shop  ,  got $3 a sack , it was the mini sacks , which is a crayfish sack and holds a 5 gallon bucket full of oysters , I could open 3 sacks in an hour if they were nice big singles , I'd hold a small ball pen hammer and the knife in the small hand and never put it down , crack'em open with one hit of the hammer , slip-slip and onto the next one 

Some fine memories for me  eating oysters , while fishing the reefs sometimes we would "coon" them , that is when you get out the boat and wade in the water and pull them out by hand , open them and eat them right there , can't be no fresher 

• Like 2

This weekend is a special weekend , LSU is playing in the SEC Championship game Saturday at 3:00 , and the Saints are playing the Forty-Niners to hold on to the number one seed in the NFC ----- so looking for something simple and good to eat ------ thinking dry rubbed ribs , potato salad and cowboy beans w/ deer/pork sausage and bacon 

This is how I do my ribs , after generously  rubbing the seasoning on , I wrap them in a double layer of the bigger size aluminum foil , make a bowl out the foil and roll the top closed , put them on the  BBQ pit , low heat and never open the foil  for one hour , when you do open the foil there will be some juices left , continue to cook them uncovered till the juice is gone * , them flood them with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and give them another 5-10 minutes ---- * I like well done , cook times may vary to your likin's

sometimes I do cut the ribs apart and throw them in a covered pot in the oven on 250 degrees  for an hour and a half  , then go right onto the pit covered with foil , apply the sauce and cook a few more minutes , they fall off the bone 

• Like 1

Soooo, how's your head Fish?  LOL.  Bet some booze was consumed around your place this weekend.

I'm sure this will be frowned upon as blasphemy by real Cajuns, but I mix up some stuff when we ride in cold weather that uses Zatarains black bean and rice boxed stuff as a base.  Cool that up, add sausage, chicken, garlic, onion, more rice, more beans, and sometimes okra.  Stuff is good and really sticks to your ribs.  That said, the Zatarains black bean and rice boxes have disappeared around here.  Nobody's carrying it anymore, so I bought all I found last time I was in Memphis and when it's gone I guess I'll have to order it on Amazon.

• Like 1

I never seen the zatarans black beans around here but never really looked.  Sound good , kind of like a jambalaya.  The blue runner red bead in the can are real good.  When we cook fresh red beans  we will add a can of blue runner to them to make them very creamy 

Looked in the freeze and found hot sausage links  and meatballs , so whip up spaghetti , meatballs  and hot sausage -------  purple onion, green pepper , garlic and celery and a can of Rotel , fried up in a pan , meat browned in the stove top Ninja cooker , throw in the seasonings , grated Romano cheese , some sugar to kill the acid  and the pre-fabbed , Emeral's AHHH Garlic ! sauce , and a quick no mess lunch and maybe some left overs , the wife is going to love it , her favorite red gravy and spaghetti , might kick it up a notch once it cooks down , maybe some Cahoula  or  Lee + Perrins  , it is on low slow cook now for a couple of hours 

fullsizeoutput_b04.jpeg

6KP6NZlCQCC6NADycsBM1w.jpg

pr0KVkBLR%a8nwzh31cTZw.jpg

• Like 2