Fishfiles

Food Channel

5 hours ago, shrade said:

The Chipolte is my favorite

I had a tuna fish sandwich at SubWay for lunch yesterday with Chipolte , it is whitish and creamy , is that the same stuff ? 

On 3/13/2021 at 2:35 AM, Fishfiles said:

I had a tuna fish sandwich at SubWay for lunch yesterday with Chipolte , it is whitish and creamy , is that the same stuff ? 

I don't think so, Cholulas  Chipolle is a redish brown color and delicious! 

Yesterday was a shrimp boil , these shrimp are something different for me , they are  Texas deep water brown shrimp , and they came out really good , peeled perfect and great taste , got them for $4.00 a pound , pretty good deal as Louisiana's inshore shrimp season is closed ---- they were IQF'ed which scared me , but my buddy who owns the seafood shop assured me they were  good eating as he gave me some samples to try of his boil ,  he uses these now  as his house boiled shrimp as the Bayou LaBatture , Alabama shrimp are hard to get right now  

Son in Law was in a poker run in his classic car ( 70 Cutlass 442/ 455 clone ) and his crew made a pit stop at the house , so we had about 25 people over , we had hamburgers and some sides , and still had 5 pounds left out of 25 pounds , shrimp salad today , shrimp go a long way unlike   crayfish that were  $3.75 this week for premiums , maybe after Easter the price on crayfish  will get right and we'll boil some

fullsizeoutput_e67.jpeg

nhzrL3xyR6Gv8MJ7gF6Oow.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Yesterday was a shrimp boil , these shrimp are something different for me , they are  Texas deep water brown shrimp , and they came out really good , peeled perfect and great taste , got them for $4.00 a pound , pretty good deal as Louisiana's inshore shrimp season is closed ---- they were IQF'ed which scared me , but my buddy who owns the seafood shop assured me they were  good eating as he gave me some samples to try of his boil ,  he uses these now  as his house boiled shrimp as the Bayou LaBatture , Alabama shrimp are hard to get right now  

Son in Law was in a poker run in his classic car ( 70 Cutlass 442/ 455 clone ) and his crew made a pit stop at the house , so we had about 25 people over , we had hamburgers and some sides , and still had 5 pounds left out of 25 pounds , shrimp salad today , shrimp go a long way unlike   crayfish that were  $3.75 this week for premiums , maybe after Easter the price on crayfish  will get right and we'll boil some

fullsizeoutput_e67.jpeg

nhzrL3xyR6Gv8MJ7gF6Oow.jpg

Bons temps, mon ami; AaaahhEee!!

that IQF is great sometimes they use liquid nitrogen; flash freeze keeps the ice crystals tiny—large crystals from slow freezing bursts the cells makes the meat mushy

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

I have never heard freezing  explained that way  tiny ice crystals and large ice  crystals , interesting ! --- I think the best way is to freeze them in blocks of water , that's how they ship them  from Bayou LaBatture in 25 pound blocks , perfect size for a party 

I always thought the type of brine solution that is used , makes the taste  difference , some shrimp pick up a strong iodine taste when IQF'ed  , and I don't like that taste ---  these last shrimp  didn't have that salty/iodine  taste to them

going to make some shrimp salad with them left overs , just a little different today , grandmaw's recipe , marinated shrimp ,  usually use mayo and horseradish , today it is going to be , no mayo , good olive oil, vinegar , lemon juice and horseradish for a kick , going to chop up some onions , celery , garlic , shallots and olive salad , scoop of that on a Kebler cracker , MMMMM !!!  

My wife recently retired as some might know , so her new hobby is cooking , over the years when I seen nice cook books at flea market and garage sales i would buy them for her , well I have to say she is getting better at it all the time , I have ate more rice in the last few week then all of last year , other than in gumbo or jambalaya I am not a rice guy , but have recently learned , with the right sauce or gravy it ain't too bad , maybe I am afraid of saying it wasn't that good  or was just hungry , LOL 

She done some pepper steak Tuesday that was out the box , last night was chicken breast in a white sauce ---living like a king , LOL 

This weekend we got a ride party scheduled with crayfish in mind ----

We been talking about a " ride in party "  with  site members , I am going to set a date this summer and call it the Ride In and invite who ever wants to show up from this  site , if no one shows up ---- who might be ready for a road trip to South East Louisiana  

• Like 4

For @Tim-ANC

broiled sockeye salmon with Tony Cacheres cajun seasoning and lightly brushed with mango chutney 

the chutney makes a crisp sweet glaze
Broil about 7 minutes

8ADE0433-23BB-4394-ADC7-F10B360244DE.jpeg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Goober said:

For @Tim-ANC

broiled sockeye salmon with Tony Cacheres cajun seasoning and lightly brushed with mango chutney 

the chutney makes a crisp sweet glaze
Broil about 7 minutes

8ADE0433-23BB-4394-ADC7-F10B360244DE.jpeg

That glaze looks pretty good !! 

My friends were trying to keep their restaurant going so I was eating Vietnamese food three times a week. Of course a tall mug of homebrew every night. then the doc says “hey you’re getting pre-diabetic—what are you doing?“

He says “rice has sugar and so does beer—you need to cut way back!”

so I stopped eating rice and that got my standing glucose back down. My friends had by that time closed their restaurant—retirement, COVID etc.

anyway watch your glucose @Fishfiles, rice always gives me a sugar crash right after dinner. The doc will want you to count your beers better lol

BTW that’s Major Grey’s mango chutney 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

We boiled 25 pounds of shrimp with all the fixin's yesterday , these shrimp were fresh , not frozen and from offshore of Louisiana , call them a 25 count brownie ,  they were good , very sweet , still got 5 pounds left over for today  , Mr Kim showed up and he is never empty handed , he brought 20 pounds of boiled crayfish from Lama's Seafood in Madisonville , excellent , Lama's has been in business for maybe 100 years 

Cooked up some Great Northern beans with a South of the Border twist , heavy chili powder and Mexican seasonings with two types of sausages , had grilled pork chops and country style ribs , baked mac is an always , there were some dips that were real good ,Deanna made some crab dip that was spicy and I couldn't stop eating it 

we went riding with 5 bikes , the Arctic Cat got wet and wouldn't start , the Can-Am was pulling him back and it started smoking  the drive belt , so the 2020 420 pulled him the rest of the way , it turned into  4 hours of a ride , had 1/2 dozen people showed up and was waiting for  us when we got back 

• Like 1

My wife is drooling over the above mentioned shrimp!!! Good for you guys. Hope you had a good time other than the machine issues.

42 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

My wife is drooling over the above mentioned shrimp!!! Good for you guys. Hope you had a good time other than the machine issues.

I just hooked up Shade with the name and number of the guy that runs the shipping department of the  seafood shop in Slidell , they ship across the country , I would bet even with the shipping fee , it would be a lot cheaper and better product then buying up north , if you want I can pass the name and number to you'll 

• Like 1

@Freedomflyer  Here is a pic of last weekends shrimp from Kenney's Seafood, they were $3.49 a pound , I'd call them 25 count , perfect size to me , they were Louisiana offshore caught and fresh not IQF'ed ----- they peeled perfect after boiling them 

fullsizeoutput_e6b.jpeg

• Like 4

Boiled a couple of sacks of crayfish ( 65 pounds ) yesterday and we rode ATVs  , nice to have a good friend since I was 13 that has a seafood shop , he walks the sacks for me so every one of them 'dads was live and licking -----   the delivery truck from PierrePort , La  pulled up right when I did and dropped off 110 sacks and was coming back today with 70 more , about as fresh as can be 

My buddy Skip loads his 350 on the back of his flat bead , pretty steep if you ask me , glad I don't have to climb that rig 

TFoS29VNT9G%WuUtn5j4YQ.jpg

E58Ld9GwTbmnqfKgHDvKcA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_e83.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e84.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

OKAY EVERYONE STOP EATING MEAT!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/23R_kBMVOAE

I guess I am guilty of being  meat racist , cause there was a lot of racism going on this weekend on my patio pit , BBQ'ed  ribs , pork country style ribs , drenched in Cattleman Sauce ----I had a couple of our colored friends stop over and they ate with us  , so would that make it ok ? 

I remember when I was a kid and didn't eat everything on my plate , my mom would say , " there are staving kids in Africa who would love to have that " , I would say , " can we  send it to them " 

I never was a racist person , wasn't brought up that way , everyone got along when I was a kid ------  I am about feed up with the everything is racist B.S. going on  ----

I was discriminated against in my life many times , the biggest time was when I wanted to be a fireman in New Orleans , they were hiring 60 recruits , 45 of which  had to be black , I found out later I scored 19th on the tests of 60 and didn't get the job , they called me about a class action discrimination lawsuit , which was won , but the city of New Orleans to this day has never  pay the $55K awarded to the 41 that were discriminated against for being smarter and more fit for the job ---- I learned back then , it was not the people who got the job , that I didn't get , that I was mad and hating on , it was the system  that pulled it off  which was to blame  ----  everything going on right now with the racist charges is reverse discrimination in it's self  

The food channel has been over run by racist meat , what next  ! 

• Like 2

In my never ending quest to be on top my game when it comes to Good Eats -----   I just had a look at what foods are on the racist list now days on the net , there is actually a web site dedicated to listing racist foods  ------  fried chicken and watermelon still on top the list as the most racist foods  , pancakes , syrup and Uncle Ben's rice are new comers and high on the list -----  meat , especially BBQ'ed is on the move up -----  maybe the groceries need signs next to the products , racist and non-racist products ----  We actually have a restaurant down here called Chicken and Melons and you don't need a rocket scientist to  guess their specialty 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

In my never ending quest to be on top my game when it comes to Good Eats -----   I just had a look at what foods are on the racist list now days on the net , there is actually a web site dedicated to listing racist foods  ------  fried chicken and watermelon still on top the list as the most racist foods  , pancakes , syrup and Uncle Ben's rice are new comers and high on the list -----  meat , especially BBQ'ed is on the move up -----  maybe the groceries need signs next to the products , racist and non-racist products ----  We actually have a restaurant down here called Chicken and Melons and you don't need a rocket scientist to  guess their specialty 

I live in a town that's about 80% black.  The folks here laugh at such crap. 

I think they're putting something in the water in the cities to make people stupid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just seen where Conde Nast which is an on line recipe cooking site , has taken all the beef recipes off line as they say it is  promoting climate change by promoting beef ----  when you think it can't get no crazier , it does get crazier !!! 

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2021 at 4:31 AM, Fishfiles said:

@Freedomflyer  Here is a pic of last weekends shrimp from Kenney's Seafood, they were $3.49 a pound , I'd call them 25 count , perfect size to me , they were Louisiana offshore caught and fresh not IQF'ed ----- they peeled perfect after boiling them 

fullsizeoutput_e6b.jpeg

Wife and I just stopped at kenneys on the way back from the coast. They have great side options (I had gumbo and crab and corn bisque) and there was a ton of fried shrimp on my platter. I guess the crawfish pie was lagniappe. It was good.

Anyway, we liked it. I remembered you mentioning it. So we stopped to try it out. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, slowindown said:

Wife and I just stopped at kenneys on the way back from the coast. They have great side options (I had gumbo and crab and corn bisque) and there was a ton of fried shrimp on my platter. I guess the crawfish pie was lagniappe. It was good.

Anyway, we liked it. I remembered you mentioning it. So we stopped to try it out. 

Wow , you were about 7 miles from where I live  ----- I have ate a lot of Kenney's product , mostly over the counter and cook it myself , I have ate lunch there a few times , shrimp and oyster poor boys , my favorite thing to order for lunch there  is a fried soft shell crab on bun with just butter and ketchup --- I have never tried their crayfish pie , but love crayfish pie , you got me wanting some now 

Next time try Middendorf's Catfish or Phil's Marina Cafe which  are both better " restaurants "  , one on each side of the Oak Harbor Exit --------  right down the street from Kenney's about 1 mile is South Side , that is also worth the trip , love the decorations , lots to look at on the walls and cellings ----  I was on a job site last week at the end of Rat Nest Road , now called Lakeshore Dr as it is up'pidy now , they are really building up in that area , they are building a Blue Crab , which they have one in New Orleans on Lake Shore Dr , it is really good stuff , can't wait for that one 

Next time your in my neighborhood , give a shut out and maybe you can stop by or have some dinner together