ToledoTom

Newbie with a brake issue

Thanks for the add! I’m somewhat new to working on bikes and need some help on my brakes. I’ve got an 2006 TRX350 TM Rancher 4x4 and the front left hand brake is sticking. All the other ones work as should. It’ll work but when I release the brake after compressing it, it doesn’t immediately free the brake up. Curious if someone on here had any advice. Thanks!

welcome Tom, it could be one of several problems, i'll let the pro's help you.😉

1 minute ago, Derf40 said:

welcome Tom, it could be one of several problems, i'll let the pro's help you.😉

Derf40 I was thinking the cable but wanted to get some input before I starting taking stuff apart and spending money! 

Hi, Welcome to ATV Honda! It sounds like your rear brake cable may be seizing up. If your rear brakes work fine using the brake pedal then a new OEM cable will probably fix it. Let us know what you learn...

• Like 1

Derf40 the springs are fine and the cables haven’t ever been touched and look normal per usual.

I’m assuming that it is the cable. Could I disconnect the cable from the spring assembly on the rear axle, to see if it’s the cable sticking?

• Like 1

Could the brake fluid have anything to do with it? I don’t believe it’s ever been bled or added to 😂 plan on getting some fluid and bleeding it out here soon 

You said the left brake lever is sticking, that cable operates the rear brake the same way the brake pedal does. Brake fluid is used in the hydraulic front brakes only, which are independent from the rear brakes. However, its a good maintenance practice to bleed out and replace the brake fluid every two years to prevent the front brake system components from failing due to corrosion and fluid decay with age.

You can find a copy of the factory service manual for your Rancher from the menu at the top of every page, or by clicking here:

Thanks retro for the info! I told y’all that I’m a newbie on these bikes lol it’s gotta be the cable that’s sticking then cause foot break is operating fine. I’ll get a new one ordered and let y’all know how it goes. Thanks again!

• Like 1