jeepwm69

2016 Polaris RZR 170

Got this one from @basfnb this weekend.  Someone asked him if he wanted it for parts (his kid has one just like it).  Said his kids had outgrown it and that is was "totaled".

So Basfnb dropped it off at my place.  Hasn't been run in a couple of years.  Front plastics and rear plastics are trashed. 

Charged the battery, aired up the flat tires.  I looked in the gas tank.  Not much in it so I just filled it up with fresh gas,  fired a couple of shots of starter fluid into the air filter, and it fired right up. 

Drove it up and down the street a couple of times, and while it sputtered a bit at first, after a min or so of driving it smoothed out and ran like a top after that.

Need to do a little research on it and see what all maint I need to do other than air filter and oil, but doesn't look like anything's wrong with it other than cosmetic stuff.   Plastics for these things are $$$ so we won't be replacing anything.  I'll put some LED cubes in where the factory headlights were, and just take off the front center section and what's left of the rear plastic piece. 

My 14 year old squeezed in it and rode it up and down the street for a bit.  It will be great for the little one when she gets a little older.  I can start her out in something with seatbelts and a rollbar. 

The wheels are 4x110 so I'm going to scrounge through my old 300 wheels and tires and see if I can't put together a set of 11" Honda wheels with 24's on them to put on it.  The ground clearance is almost non existent with the stock tires on it.

I've always said I wouldn't own a Polaris if you gave me one, so I guess @basfnb has now proven me a liar.

rzr.jpeg

rzr2.jpeg

• Like 2

A friend gave me a Polaris 500 Sportsman , I thanked him at the time , now I curse him under my breath , LOL ---  " Money Pit " , any money spent on it , would be better saved  for TP on the next round of shortages 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well so far this one doesn't need anything to ride it.

But holy crud are the parts expensive!

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 11:10 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Well so far this one doesn't need anything to ride it.

But holy crud are the parts expensive!

Ahhhh, seems like everything I get for the Honda always has a couple of "00's" behind it.  LOL

Edited by Outnback

Messed with this one a bit over the weekend.

I discovered that the wheel pattern is 4x110, so a set of old 300 wheels and tires (11's with 24" tires) fit perfectly.....almost.  I discovered that those busted plastics weren't the only damage.  When I tried to put the front tires on, the right front wheel is pushed back and hits the frame.  Crap. 

So, going to have to figure out how to get that right front side pulled back out.  I have a giant heavy 6 foot pry bar (railroad tool) but the problem is, figuring out where to pry.  Another thought is to chain the thing to a tree and use one of my 8K Jeep winches or a come-along (the Jeep winches are fast, so probably be safer to use the come-along).

That said, the only part I've bought for the thing is a front sprocket to gear it down a little to pull the bigger tires ($45).  Just need to figure out the best way to attack this tweaked front frame.

The 2nd pic shows that the thing is twisted, and the first pic obviously shows the bar pushed back. 

This is a single a-arm  with a shock mount

170 frame.jpeg

170 frame 2.jpeg

• Like 1

Got some more pics of the tweaked frame on this thing over the weekend.

Who has suggestions on how I can get this thing pulled back out?

RZRtire.jpg

rzr bent.jpg

rzr bent2.jpg

Excavator and some chain or maybe a  couple of trees , chains and big come-a-long ----it looks really messed up , the lower arm is pushed back a ways  , the shock tower is up and back ---- you might cut and weld it 

• Like 1

Yeah, even if I get it straightened out a bit I'm going to have to weld in some reinforcement or it will bend again due to metal fatigue.

At this point I have ZERO dollars in it, so I guess if I screw it up, I haven't lost anything, right? 

Guy up in North Central Arkansas has a used frame for $300, but it's a long haul up there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah, even if I get it straightened out a bit I'm going to have to weld in some reinforcement or it will bend again due to metal fatigue.

At this point I have ZERO dollars in it, so I guess if I screw it up, I haven't lost anything, right? 

Guy up in North Central Arkansas has a used frame for $300, but it's a long haul up there.

where is he in north central arkansas bro ?, if he's not to far from me ?, i'll go get it, bring it back to my house, then you can come here and get it.

As usual, Shade jumps in and offers to help out.

The frame in N Arkansas is a 2011, and mine's a 2016.  Different part numbers....I'm guessing it would swap over ok, but first I'm going to bend around on this one and see if I can get it reasonably straight.  If I'm able to pull it off, I will still have ZERO dollars in this thing.  If I screw it up...well it was screwed up anyway, so I might take a stab at that used frame in that case.