Just about got the 87 I'm building for my wife wrapped up.  Spent most my day off today refurbishing the front knuckles and brake panels.  Got new OEM shoes and lines bled about as good as they'll get. I'm looking for a better rear blue fender, but may have to go with what I got for now.  The carb slide seems to be sticking, even after I cleaned the ! out of it.  I'll be pulling it again to deal with before I put the airbox in.  Hope to have the fenders on this weekend.  Pics to follow.  

I'm rushing this one a bit lately because I really want to get to the 86 TRX350A, I have on deck.

87.jpg

• Like 4

Nice paint job on those knuckles—your work?

Always wondered why my 86 fan guards had 4 mount bolts and all the others had two.

Yeah, I figured while I had the bearings out I'd paint the knuckles. I think it was Jeep once mentioning removing the bearing seals and putting fresh grease in the OEM bearings. It worked like a charm, and the bearing seals pressed right back into place. Very happy with how they turned out.

• Like 3

Guy in West Memphis is parting out a blue 350D.  He even had the side covers, but I think he's sold those.  Not sure about the fenders.

Shane Jones.  He's on bookface.

Oh well. Missed out on that. There will be others soon enough. I'll just use my chopped up blue rear fender until the opportunity to improve it comes along

Just about ready for racks and fenders. Both front wheels are bent a little, so I'll want to test some others I have before I put the fenders on this weekend.  Got the carb lined out and it's running like a champ. It may all be in my head but this one has a cylinder bored over to 82mm and it seems to have noticeably more power than my bike.

87 almost done.jpg

• Like 2

Picked up this yesterday to help finish up my wife's ride. Found the gas tank and cap in good condition, so I'll be swapping it out for the plastic aftermarket tank I have in there now.  The rear fender is about the only other thing I needed.  Didn't have the tool box or front bumper I needed, so I'll still be on the lookout for those. Should have this wrapped up tomorrow.  Pics to follow.

97241902_10217237011533559_6531674341204033536_o.jpg

• Like 1

Parts bikes...got to love them.  After getting the ignition switch lined out and replacing the choke cable last night on this latest bike, I put in my test carb and tried to get her running. Would just barely try to pop off on carb spray.  Hmmmm.  Valve lash was jacked up, but adjustment made no difference.  Found only 100 PSI with compression test. Pulled off the head cover to check timing and found this mess.  I don't know what timing mark they were going by but it wasn't even close. In addition, nearly every head cover bolt was in the wrong hole. The two longest are broken and the decompression lever cable wasn't connected.  Rocker faces are worn badly and the cam chain is way overdue for replacement. Fortunately, the camshaft seems serviceable. I have the parts needed but I'll have to put this on the back burner for now. 

IMG_20200517_114833629.jpg

• Sad 2

with all that red rtv crap in the top i see ?, i'd be more worried about the engine ever running at all !..lol.

Well, she's done (mostly)!  Swapped in the OEM gas tank from the bike I got Friday night and put the bumpers, racks and fenders on.  I had to go with a front bumper off an 88 model for now. Still need a blue upper toolbox too. Wife and I went for a ride this afternoon.  She prefers the gravel roads for now.  Took her on some trails through the woods and around the lake, but she didn't much care for that.  First time riding and all.

As as said in another thread:  I don't like the Maier side covers.  The color mismatch brings too much attention to the aftermarket aspect of an otherwise honda original, IMO. I also want to get a color correct grey seat cover.

IMG_20200517_183257721.jpg

IMG_20200517_183340002.jpg

IMG_20200517_183307493.jpg

IMG_20200517_183351732.jpg

IMG_20200517_183405866.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DuckOfDeath said:

Well, she's done (mostly)!  Swapped in the OEM gas tank from the bike I got Friday night and put the bumpers, racks and fenders on.  I had to go with a front bumper off an 88 model for now. Still need a blue upper toolbox too. Wife and I went for a ride this afternoon.  She prefers the gravel roads for now.  Took her on some trails through the woods and around the lake, but she didn't much care for that.  First time riding and all.

As as said in another thread:  I don't like the Maier side covers.  The color mismatch brings too much attention to the aftermarket aspect of an otherwise honda original, IMO. I also want to get a color correct grey seat cover.

IMG_20200517_183257721.jpg

IMG_20200517_183340002.jpg

IMG_20200517_183307493.jpg

IMG_20200517_183351732.jpg

IMG_20200517_183405866.jpg

blue upper tool box ?, the lid ?, they are gray. the inside parts ?, yeah..those are blue.

Yes. I actually have the correct lid for the upper toolbox. I have a red assembly with lid too, but I need a blue one

30 minutes ago, DuckOfDeath said:

Yes. I actually have the correct lid for the upper toolbox. I have a red assembly with lid too, but I need a blue one

just paint the red part blue, it does not show if its inside the tool box when closed.

• Like 1

I have the blue insert that holds the fuse box. It's the upper part that attaches the lid I need. I actually out my red one on before I read your comment. With the seat on it barely shows. I still want a blue one

15897741009736122394207060048569.jpg

4 hours ago, DuckOfDeath said:

I have the blue insert that holds the fuse box. It's the upper part that attaches the lid I need. I actually out my red one on before I read your comment. With the seat on it barely shows. I still want a blue one

15897741009736122394207060048569.jpg

yeah, that is the fuse tray cover, it does show, but come on, its mostly covered when the seat it on, and its never opened for the most part, just paint it blue. you've been doing this a long time ( and you do know your stuff ! ), but some times when parts are discontinued ?, you have to bite the bullet, and make do !. i'll look around, and see if i can find ya one, if i do ?, i can tell you right now..with it being blue ?, IT WONT BE CHEAP !..LOL.

I'll just put on the red one for now.  I'll get a blue one eventually, either on a parts bike or ebay. Same as OEM side covers.  I'll just roll with the Maier ones until on opportunity presents itself. 

Speaking of which, a guy just responded to my wanted add.  Says he has two 350D's and wants 400 for both.  Waiting on pictures.....

I also just sold a front end hub to hub to someone for $175 shipped and got a guy coming by to pickup a rear end assembly for $250. The rear ends sell like hot cakes, so that's no surprise, but I almost never sell front ends.  Too bad the package weighs about 90 Lbs and will probably cost me $65 just to ship it.  

Question....why did you swap in the OEM steel tank instead of keeping the aftermarket plastic tank?   After years of messing with rusty fuel systems in old Jeeps, I much prefer a plastic tank. 

I do see the plastic tanks as an upgrade over OEM in cases where the tank or cap has pre existing issues. However, this tank and cap is as good as the one in my other bike and already has a working fuel sending unit. I was going to have to drill the hole out for that on the aftermarket one and try some untested units in it.

I prefer OEM wherever possible. In this case it definitely was. 

Also, there's little chance my tanks will develop a problem. They are kept indoors and filled with ethenol free gas. Biggest threat to a metal tank is stored empty outdoors. These usually develop leaks around the foam rubber dampeners at the bottom of the tank brackets caused by moisture being trapped between them and the tank. If stored indoors that won't happen.

Edited by DuckOfDeath
  • Like 1