Dredd

(Almost)Free trailer build

I recently built this trailer as a project. I built the whole thing for around $100. The steel tubing is reclaimed steel from a local closed down coal mine along with a couple pieces of an old bed frame. The spindles and wheels were cut out of a 92 vwvjetta and modified to fit. The bearings were seized in one of the hubs so I had to cut them out putting my cost over 100. I'm still trying to recover from this😁  there was not one straight piece of steel, but with torches, grinders, ratchet straps, and my trusty ol Lincoln 225, she sits square and true (mostly😷)  feedback welcome! 

20200512_192654.jpg

20200513_000947.jpg

20200513_235937.jpg

20200514_143804.jpg

20200514_173733.jpg

20200515_213208.jpg

20200516_202725.jpg

• Like 5

Real nice. Are you going to use it on the highway or behind the wheeler? I didn't see springs.

Just a woods trailer for the quad. Although it does have studded winter tires on it 😎

20200517_152109.jpg

• Like 7

On 5/17/2020 at 8:46 PM, Dredd said:

Just a woods trailer for the quad. Although it does have studded winter tires on it 😎

20200517_152109.jpg

Hey Dredd, trailer looks great and very useful.  I wanted to ask you a couple of questions about your rear seat/storage as I'm thinking about getting one for my 06 foreman. 

First off, how do you like it?  Do passengers find it comfy enough? And what kind is it?

Second, as to the rear foot pegs, I cannot find the kimpex rear fender protectors in stock for the 06 anywhere.  And even if I could, I don't know if I would buy them or just fabricate them, which looks pretty simple.  Is yours kimpex? My idea is to make a plate mounted under the factory foot peg and then run it down the top back half of the floor board where the tubing will mount to it and then run it up to the rack, which appears to be how they're made in general.

If you don't mind could you tell me the OD of the tubing used because if I make some, I would like to use the kimpex folding footpegs?  I can find the footpegs on amazon and ebay, etc.  Also, if you have a chance, would you take some pictures of how they're mounted?

Thanks

Edited by slowindown

I believe it is a Kimpex seat/Box. Its been on there for years and it pretty beat up. I made up new hardware to mount it earlier in the spring cause it vibrated like a son of a b$*&h. Its strong enough to hook a winch to now lol but it still vibrates on lid. The foot rest is also kimpex and is excellent. I took my foot pegs off but will be putting back on soon. The peg mounts are well built and act as extra protection for the quad. The back seat is great but I believe they all get pretty noisy after a while

20200521_211725.jpg

20200521_211733.jpg

20200521_211743.jpg

20200521_211819.jpg

20200521_211810.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics. So I would say the tubing is 7/8? The same as the rack which is 7/8? 3/4 emt conduit happens to be the same OD as the large tubing on the rack, just thinner walled. I may try that. It’s cheap. Plus I have some. If that doesn’t hold up I’ll buy some thicker walled steel. 

And that’s almost exactly how I was going to connect the tubing at the bottom. I’m still thinking about the top at the rack. I don’t know where to find those double clamps. I have a couple other ideas. 

I wiil be ordering the foot pegs soon. I got an email from kimpex today saying the protector tubes for my machine are out of stock until September. But they have the pegs. 

Thanks for the help.