bladams85

1988 TRX 300FW for my Girlfriend.

Ok fellas, I am starting my next quad as the title says this is a 1988 TRX300 FW Fourtrax, and it will be for my girlfriend. The machine is in pretty nice shape like my others and all it needs is a CDI box I think, as It is not getting spark. I will post pictures tonight of it's as is condition. Anyone with history on this bike let me know if I'm on the right track with the CDI box. Thank you!

i can tell you right now, the 1988 trx300fw is a ONE year only c.d.i. !!. no other years will work on it.

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i can tell you right now, the 1988 trx300fw is a ONE year only c.d.i. !!. no other years will work on it.

Lol great! Hahahaha

3 minutes ago, bladams85 said:

Lol great! Hahahaha

one in stock at rocky mountain atv, you better buy it before its gone !..lol.

30 minutes ago, shadetree said:

one in stock at rocky mountain atv, you better buy it before its gone !..lol.

Hahahahah too funny! I just bought it from them like 5 min ago! 

• Like 3

Just now, bladams85 said:

Hahahahah too funny! I just bought it from them like 5 min ago! 

good deal !.

HOT SHOT HONDA CDI BOX 15_612

Hot Shot Honda CDI Box: This Rick's Motorsport Electrics Hot Shot CDI box is made with heavy duty components; no specific enhancements.
Retail Price: $81.95
Price: $81.95

THIS PART FITS THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES:

• Like 2

one tested method .... is lighty tap on the old cdi ... then try and start the bike, if the bike starts tap on the cdi again, if the bike acts up, then more then likely it's a solder joint in the unit.... some here have had good results baking these in an oven....i myself have never had to try this but... being this is the rare 88 ... might be worth it, if anything.. i would hang on to that old cdi unit. 

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

one tested method .... is lighty tap on the old cdi ... then try and start the bike, if the bike starts tap on the cdi again, if the bike acts up, then more then likely it's a solder joint in the unit.... some here have had good results baking these in an oven....i myself have never had to try this but... being this is the rare 88 ... might be worth it, if anything.. i would hang on to that old cdi unit. 

Well here's the issue I bought the machine from my dad and he put on a $25 CDI last year that I did not know about. So now I'm positive that's the issue lol

42 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

ah! ithx! ,i take it that cdi was china made ?? 

Yes I'm guessing it was. I ordered an OEM one from Rocky Mountain ATV today. 

yeah... i caught that order up there .... ^^^ ... glad you managed to locate one...  the 88 300 was always my favorite!! i know where there's a garage kept mint one... I've tried  couple times to talk the man out of it... no dice yet...  you mentioned pics ?? lets see her! 

7 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah... i caught that order up there .... ^^^ ... glad you managed to locate one...  the 88 300 was always my favorite!! i know where there's a garage kept mint one... I've tried  couple times to talk the man out of it... no dice yet...  you mentioned pics ?? lets see her! 

As soon as I get over to get some I will. Probably tomorrow night I should have a few.

• Like 1

sweet!!  was your pop the original owner ?? because those tires look like the h-track tire that each brand new 300 came out with around my area ....  sure looks as though she's been VERY well taken care of .... one thing i would do is take this clamp off, or remove the choke cable from underneath. 

image.jpg

11 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

sweet!!  was your pop the original owner ?? because those tires look like the h-track tire that each brand new 300 came out with around my area ....  sure looks as though she's been VERY well taken care of .... one thing i would do is take this clamp off, or remove the choke cable from underneath. 

image.jpg

Yes he was the original owner and yes those are the original tires! That clamp is going, it was a mount for a windshield. The front plastics are cracked in one spot but other than that it's in very nice shape I think.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'm officially jealous !!! lol! 

why ?..you had how many chances to buy the '88 trx300fw i restored !..lol.

• Haha 2

i figured you'd give me slack haha! i know exactly what button to push ;) i wanted that one, but back then, the funds were shall we say ear marked for investments ....  you just keep building them... we may have worked a deal if that carrier bearing was in the deal ?? you know which one I'm talking about!! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i figured you'd give me slack haha! i know exactly what button to push 😉 i wanted that one, but back then, the funds were shall we say ear marked for investments ....  you just keep building them... we may have worked a deal if that carrier bearing was in the deal ?? you know which one I'm talking about!! 

haha..i hate to rub this in your face ?!, but i've got a complete drive shaft that has a tight bearing in it !..rofl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

no you don't! lol! now how about that one way bearing ?? haha!  i reckon I'll have to call catfish ;) I'm just messing with ya bro, and i should have jumped on that 88 .... don't ya just hate when pockets are NOT deep... sigh...

55 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

no you don't! lol! now how about that one way bearing ?? haha!  i reckon I'll have to call catfish 😉 I'm just messing with ya bro, and i should have jumped on that 88 .... don't ya just hate when pockets are NOT deep... sigh...

yep..i got it out in my shop right now..sooo..take that !!..lol. i'd take a pic of it, and post it..but then yu'd just cry..lol.

• Like 2

don't tease... lol post that pic..... you know how us pic perverts are .. lol! ....

Edited by _Wilson_™

Put the new CDI on it still no spark...had to replace the ignition coil as well and she fired right up! New tires are on the way for it as well. Hope you all had a fun weekend riding! 

P.s she loves it! 

IMG_20200525_193226921_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Update to minimise her stress level we ordered stock size Kenda Bear Claws for the 300 for now. She will make the decision later if she wants fancy wheels and bigger tires. She has never ridden a quad before so we decided to go that route. I will send pics when we get them mounted up!

• Like 2