Bassman8990

2013 Rancher 420 coolant

Hello im new here. I recently purchased a used 2013 Rancher 420. Im really OCD about making sure stuff is right. So I thought I'd ask here for opinions. I noticed the Coolant was green in the radiator. I have no idea what coolant the previous owner used or if they just grabbed something from off the shelf & poured in. I read about using silicate free coolant & not using coolant for vehicles? Should i drain out whats in there & replace it to be safe or leave it alone? ATV runs fine & fan is coming on like it should. If i drain it can i just remove the drain plug below the water pump, refill with distilled water then run the engine until warm, drain & refill & done? Is flushing necessary? Should i stick with " if it ain't broke don't fix it" lol. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Honda HP coolant is the correct coolant.  It is blue and designed for aluminum engines.  It costs around $7.50 a quart.  It believe it takes around 1 1/2 quarts.  If you want it right drain from the plug below the water pump.  Then fill with distilled water and run until warm.  Then drain and refill with the Honda HP.  Welcome to the forum

@ Scotticus..thanks! Would you lossen lower radiator hose also or just drain from the plug below waterpump? Also would you have a diagram of which bolt is the drain bolt?

Edited by Bassman8990

You dont have to loosen the radiator hose.  You might want to remove the overflow reservoir and rinse it out.  I dont have a diagram but I know there is a video on youtube that shows the bolt and whole process.

Unrelated but would valves tap when hot only? Im hearing tapping when the engine gets hot after riding awhile, but only hear it at idle & not when the engine is cold