Freedomflyer

Brothers new ride

Brother just picked up a 2011 800R Outlander Max  Limited Edition. Was well taken care of and in excellent condition. Only 1100 miles, Sad story for the guy that sold it. He had jumped out of his work truck about 4 years ago and broke his ankle.  He thought he had just sprained it and didn't get in to the doctor. He had splintered the bone and got an infection ended up losing his left leg below the knee and spent over a year in the hospital and rehab.  During that time developed diabetes and ended up losing his right foot. I went with my brother to look at the machine And you could tell the guy was pretty bummed in having to sell it. He said he just can't feel the machine anymore with his two prosthesis.  Anyway, looks to be a very sound machine and Should serve my brother and his wife well. We are heading out Monday for a Memorial Day ride should be a good time.

DSC_0112.JPG

• Like 8

That is a beauty!  The muffler barely shows any sign of mud. I would love to find one of those in good shape.

• Like 1

They're out there, right place at the right time on this one. Felt bad for the seller, could really see he was having a tough time letting it go. Received a really nice text from him the next day telling me  how glad he was that it went to some people that were going to use it and take care of it.

• Like 2

That's a sweet looking bike,man was he lucky to find that deal.Hope he enjoys the ride this weekend. 

• Like 1

Some folks have all the luck! Then they live in Montana to boot! :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

😁😉 Yeah it was a great find, He learned after he passed up 3 previous deals that he better jump on this one. I told him if he didn't buy it I was going to. Even though it's 5 years older than my '16 I would've snapped it up in a heart beat. Really nice ride.

I sure understand that from the older Honda reliability aspect, however being the age he(we) and his wife are, the comfort of the ride is a huge factor. I know people say that power steering isn't that big of a deal, and the independent suspension  is for lightweights😉, but after a day like today of riding 51 miles on rocky mountain trails on a factory two person machine, having the wife comfortable and happy is HUGE! I have another brother who also just made a new purchase.  With a below their cost sale going on and him trading in a little Suzuki Osark 250 he picked up a 2020 Can Am 570 Max 2-up for $6500. This allowed he and his wife to get out and comfortably ride together today for the first time ever. Was great to see them get out of the house,  he's 70 she's 66. They would've never come out with us if they wouldn't have had something comfortable to ride on. Just glad I get to spend some time with my brothers regardless of what they ride. Was fun to see them all have a food time today. 

20200525_092050.jpg

20200525_092106.jpg

20200525_134214.jpg

• Like 2

Was a great ride today, perfect temperature,  much to Shades Chagrin (I'd be willing to bet), all four Can Ams performed flawlessly and allowed a very comfortable 50+ mile ride. Great day to take 2 rookies and their wives out, and my one brother who just bought the above blue 800 to an area none of them had ever been. I'm just happy we had a safe incident free day,  and all parties enjoyed themselves. 

20200525_092420.jpg

20200525_111137.jpg

20200525_110452.jpg

20200525_152223.jpg

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

I sure understand that from the older Honda reliability aspect, however being the age he(we) and his wife are, the comfort of the ride is a huge factor. I know people say that power steering isn't that big of a deal, and the independent suspension  is for lightweights😉, but after a day like today of riding 51 miles on rocky mountain trails on a factory two person machine, having the wife comfortable and happy is HUGE! I have another brother who also just made a new purchase.  With a below their cost sale going on and him trading in a little Suzuki Osark 250 he picked up a 2020 Can Am 570 Max 2-up for $6500. This allowed he and his wife to get out and comfortably ride together today for the first time ever. Was great to see them get out of the house,  he's 70 she's 66. They would've never come out with us if they wouldn't have had something comfortable to ride on. Just glad I get to spend some time with my brothers regardless of what they ride. Was fun to see them all have a food time today. 

20200525_092050.jpg

20200525_092106.jpg

20200525_134214.jpg

Look's like a fun day,weather looks nice and cool enough for jackets

Was great, cool in the a.m. tshirt weather for me mid to late afternoon.  Great day all around. 

Looks like ya took 'em out past the old cabin? Great choice!

Yeah, was on one of the tamer trails that is in the area. I guess my wife and I take for granted our experience in riding, things that we don't give a second thought about going up or down becomes an issue and our responsibility for the ones we take out. So......we have be very careful with the trails we choose. All in all was a great day only scared one of the ladies (my sister in-law) bad enough a couple of times to where she got off and walked through a couple of stretches. Other than that was a very positive day and sounds like they al want to go again.😁

You know I'm not exactly sure. Been up there 4 times, 2 of the times went with a couple different friends I had asked them what they knew and they weren't exactly sure either. What we've kind of gathered through hiking around the area a little, is that it must've been some sort of office. There is a built in bed area in the corner, an old stove in the center of the room, and a desk area in another corner. This particular area had several different things going on in the late 1800's early 1900's. Granite quarry and mining to name a couple, based on the railroad tracks, cables and pullies and different pipes coming out of the ground there had to be some sort of mining operation going on. I  need to call the bureau of land management and see if the can shed any light on it for me.   I have heard there is a huge tressel bridge up there somewhere as well that is on a old railway bed leading to an old mine. A lot of different history in our area.  Lots of mining in our state. Just over the top of the mountain from this area is the old  Berkley Copper mine. It was at one time one of the largest open pit mines in the world. They destroyed the city of Butte mining for the copper ore.

https://g.co/kgs/G2nJHT

https://images.app.goo.gl/9zuqGJGA6oRKFpMB8

I feel bad for the people of that town. There are tons of old mines in western Montana,  they have labeled our state the Treasure state but when it leaves that kind of mess behind that's not much of a treasure. So all of that to say Wilson, I'm not exactly sure what that cabin is😁. Kind of got off on a rabbit trail.

• Like 1

thanks! find out what you can, this makes me think we need a historical thread ... and i think you should do it! between you, and fish, y'all know more historical facts than anyone else ...  at least those who have NOT  spoken up..  

I don't believe I ever said anything about my Honda's being under powered. Our Rancher 420's had 28 horsepower and took us every place we wanted to go even when we rode 2-up. The engines ran like sewing machines and never missed a beat  other than a fuel pump going out on one of them, even then I was able to limp it back to the truck. I loved the reliability of those two machines, I NEVER worried about getting back to the truck when we went out, plus even towed a couple of machines out of the mountains a couple different times. Having my wife be comfortable and to "Want" to continue to keep riding was the main reason for looking for something different.  When we would go out with friends that had machines with independent suspension and would follow them and see the smoother ride was discouraging for my wife. So just started looking around and landed where we landed.  I've never ridden in the mud like that so wouldn't even be fair for me to comment on it. There are aspects of it that look like it would be fun.....especially if it was someone else's machine and I didn't have to clean it up😀. I get the competition part of seeing who can get through what, but because we have such a different terrain that we ride in, the rocky, twisting switch back narrow mountain trails require a different type of machine if you don't want to get beat to crap.  And......frankly I don't want to get beat to crap🤣.  I can tell you if Honda came out with a 2-up machine, that had power steering and IRS all wrapped up in one package, I'd be first in line.  Even if I did have to go back to shifting🙂, I will have to admit that part has been nice for my wife to not have to worry about what gear she should be in when going up a steep rocky narrow trail.  If she's confident in the machine it makes it way more fun. So Fish, come on' up I'll take you on a couple rides and see what you think😀. I KNOW my machine wouldn't do well in the situation above so don't even ask LOL! Plus I would have to clean it up. YUCK!!!! Well gotta hit the road and earn some $$$$ have a great day.

• Like 1

hey Free, if you can get Fish to come to yo area.... get him to come by here on the way. We'll intro him to the Southern Rockies and give him a double whammie of the rockies...Derf in Colorado...😀 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

I don't believe I ever said anything about my Honda's being under powered. Our Rancher 420's had 28 horsepower and took us every place we wanted to go even when we rode 2-up. The engines ran like sewing machines and never missed a beat  other than a fuel pump going out on one of them, even then I was able to limp it back to the truck. I loved the reliability of those two machines, I NEVER worried about getting back to the truck when we went out, plus even towed a couple of machines out of the mountains a couple different times. Having my wife be comfortable and to "Want" to continue to keep riding was the main reason for looking for something different.  When we would go out with friends that had machines with independent suspension and would follow them and see the smoother ride was discouraging for my wife. So just started looking around and landed where we landed.  I've never ridden in the mud like that so wouldn't even be fair for me to comment on it. There are aspects of it that look like it would be fun.....especially if it was someone else's machine and I didn't have to clean it up😀. I get the competition part of seeing who can get through what, but because we have such a different terrain that we ride in, the rocky, twisting switch back narrow mountain trails require a different type of machine if you don't want to get beat to crap.  And......frankly I don't want to get beat to crap🤣.  I can tell you if Honda came out with a 2-up machine, that had power steering and IRS all wrapped up in one package, I'd be first in line.  Even if I did have to go back to shifting🙂, I will have to admit that part has been nice for my wife to not have to worry about what gear she should be in when going up a steep rocky narrow trail.  If she's confident in the machine it makes it way more fun. So Fish, come on' up I'll take you on a couple rides and see what you think😀. I KNOW my machine wouldn't do well in the situation above so don't even ask LOL! Plus I would have to clean it up. YUCK!!!! Well gotta hit the road and earn some $$$$ have a great day.

'I will take your riding terrain any day over a mudhole....When my wife decided she wanted her own bike,she wanted no part of a foot shift or electric shift.Well she found just what she was looking for a 2020 Kawasaki Brute Force 300 with Hi,Lo,Rev and Neutral.Haven't heard her complain yet,she really enjoys riding that bike just the right size and power for her.

I'd be in for this ride ... FF did you ever look at a bigger honda like the 680 rincon ... .. I'm not too sure on how they ride ....  IF i needed a non foot shift id  probaly go with the 680 rincon, not a belt drive.... .. belts are for snowmobiles.... 

image.jpg

Derf,

I think it would be a real trick to get him to come! 😉 I'd like to ride your area myself, he'd ride there and here and never want to go home😁.

Wilson, 

I had looked at those a little bit, even rode a couple used ones I had come across, rode nice.  I  had just heard there were some concerns with the transmission, pretty complicated set up and if anything went wrong with it very expensive to repair.  On top of that it is still a single rider machine and they watch that pretty close around here.  Just decided to go with the factory dedicated 2-up. Th as it's a nice looking machine though.