Outnback

Pioneer 700-4D Front Rack

While hunting in the 700 last fall, it seemed like I just didn't have enough room. Throw a couple tree stands in the back, a pop-up blind, a couple chairs, and a cooler. NO ROOM!

Where the heck do you put the bow cases? So I decided to try my luck at a "Front Rack". Figured it should be aluminum to save on weight when I need to remove it to access under the hood.

Using an old bow case as a pattern, I attempted to make an aluminum basket to hold the case. This was my first time working with 5/8" aluminum rod. So we won't talk about the practice bends. LOL ! :classic_blush:  Or what they cost. :classic_ohmy: Well the basket finally took shape. 

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

The basket is 48" wide x 24" deep at the widest part with a 3 1/2" high railing.

Added the front mount that extends down to the front bumper and mounts with two quick release clamps.

IMG_2608.jpg

The entire basket and railing is made of the 5/8" round aluminum rod. The mesh is 3/4 x 9ga. aluminum flat diamond stock.  Two flat straps were bent into an odd "L" shape to mount against the windshield to hold the back of the rack. (Smart man would have taken a picture of them)

I was in such a hurry to get the rack across town to a place that does Powder Coating, I didn't take a picture of the rear mounts or the rack fully mounted.

Soooooo guess I'll have to post them next week when I get it back.

IMG_2610.jpg

Edited by Outnback
  • Like 2

Got the rack back from Powder Coating. Turned out better than I had hoped for. F14B693D-1429-41DF-AF6B-67BEDDD393D6.jpeg

Here is the strap I used for the windshield mount. 

F7884BEA-406F-45A7-BA8C-3EDABC9DDCD5.jpeg

An added benefit of the rack, now I know and can see exactly where the front corners of the “Buggy” are. 

• Like 2