KoolBreeze

'88 350D Carb

6 minutes ago, KoolBreeze said:

Mine isn't in the middle, it's 1 below the middle one. Mine has 5 slots.

Anyway, I got back on it again and I'm still not satisfied. It runs better at about half choke when the throttle is 1/8th to 1/4 open, even when warm. All other throttle positions it doesn't need the choke. So I'm thinking the needle is still to high? I may move it to the bottom slot and try that.

I took the carb back off to measure the lash on that tang you're talking about. There is 0.006 of an inch clearance with the throttle valve and butterfly closed. If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like I need to adjust that lash out of it so that the butterfly doesn't open before needle rises. Right?

correct, then i bet you will need to move the clip !..lol.

6 minutes ago, KoolBreeze said:

Ok, think I'm clear on that. That may be the problem at 1/8 -1/4 throttle, butterfly open = air, but needle closed = no fuel = lean. Adding choke corrects it, makes perfect sense to me now. Thanks. Thanks, I'll adjust that and try her again. Gonna be a pro at removing this carb for nightfall.

rofl, wait until you do it a few thousand times !..lol.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

correct, then i bet you will need to move the clip !..lol.

y’all nailed it! That fixed it. I had to tweak it twice but it runs great from idle all the way to WOT now with no choke, no hesitation or stumbling. Awesome! 

I did not move the needle clip, still in the 2nd slot from the bottom so I’m sure it could stand a bit more but I’m going to

leave it be for now since it runs so good. 

Next up is valve adjustment and gasket replacement, as they are leaking a tad. Probably another adventure. Haha!

thanks again guys!

2 minutes ago, KoolBreeze said:

y’all nailed it! That fixed it. I had to tweak it twice but it runs great from idle all the way to WOT now with no choke, no hesitation or stumbling. Awesome! 

I did not move the needle clip, still in the 2nd slot from the bottom so I’m sure it could stand a bit more but I’m going to

leave it be for now since it runs so good. 

Next up is valve adjustment and gasket replacement, as they are leaking a tad. Probably another adventure. Haha!

thanks again guys!

this mean the check is in the mail ?..lol. glad ya got it !.

41 minutes ago, shadetree said:

this mean the check is in the mail ?..lol. glad ya got it !.

Haha! You bet, what's the damage?

3 hours ago, KoolBreeze said:

Haha! You bet, what's the damage?

one cold brew to go please !..lol.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, shadetree said:

one cold brew to go please !..lol.

Sounds like a plan to me!

The main jet sucks fuel from the bottom of the bowl, creating a cone of depression. That baffle probably minimizes fuel sloshing around the end of the main jet As to maintain a good cone. If you’re riding pretty hard and notice some choppy throttle response it could be related to lack of a baffle. 

1 hour ago, Goober said:

The main jet sucks fuel from the bottom of the bowl, creating a cone of depression. That baffle probably minimizes fuel sloshing around the end of the main jet As to maintain a good cone. If you’re riding pretty hard and notice some choppy throttle response it could be related to lack of a baffle. 

Ah! Thanks for the explanation. Probably never affect me then, as I'm usually just putting along. haha!