shadetree

'87 trx350D muffler

anyone got a '87-'89 trx350D FOREMAN 4X4 muffler they wanna let go ?. can't be junk !..lol. ( '86 muffler will work also from a fourtrax ).

• Like 2

I may have one, i just bought up a hord of honda 350 4c4 parts from a guy here. Havent even picked it up yet. Headed there later today, says he has exhaust, carbs, racks, frames, bars, unbroken plastics, racks, tires/wheels.  Ill send u a mess with my #, u can text me and ill send u pic. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Goober said:

Sorry Shadetree I don’t have a muffler 

i did find this Cobra muffler—it’s what i have on this last build. You would like it

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192772323381

thanks..but no thanks..i wont pay that kinda money for a rusted up non-oem muffler. i will keep looking..not in a hurry.

What is the deal with the mufflers on these old bikes? In other words, why aren't there some aftermarket options available? And why can't a person have a muffler shop whip up something custom for them?

7 minutes ago, KoolBreeze said:

What is the deal with the mufflers on these old bikes? In other words, why aren't there some aftermarket options available? And why can't a person have a muffler shop whip up something custom for them?

most places like honda, dont want to deal with parts for atvs that are 30 something years old, sooo, they stopped making them these past few years like everything else..lol. as for why they rust like they do ?, i ripped this bad one part last night, the way they designed them ?, i can see why they rust out along the bottom edge.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, shadetree said:

most places like honda, dont want to deal with parts for atvs that are 30 something years old, sooo, they stopped making them these past few years like everything else..lol. as for why they rust like they do ?, i ripped this bad one part last night, the way they designed them ?, i can see why they rust out along the bottom edge.

I get that but where I was headed with that is, is there not a modern muffler (OE Honda or aftermarket) that is close enough to where it could be modified by a custom muffler shop to fit. If it's just a matter of piping, then likely that's doable, but if there isn't a muffler that's close fit, maybe not so much.

21 minutes ago, KoolBreeze said:

I get that but where I was headed with that is, is there not a modern muffler (OE Honda or aftermarket) that is close enough to where it could be modified by a custom muffler shop to fit. If it's just a matter of piping, then likely that's doable, but if there isn't a muffler that's close fit, maybe not so much.

this muffler has mounting bolt spots in certain places on it and the frame. sure...you could '' jerry rig '' a muffler on the atv, but i'm not about that, i try my best to make my builds stay stock looking as much as posb if i can ?, but some times this dont always pan out when it comes to atvs that are over 30 yrs old !..lol.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KoolBreeze said:

i've got a spare muffler set off my '08 shadow spirit 750 stashed in my shop attic, i could make one of them work if it comes down to the nut cutt'n..lol.

• Like 1

I am about to put a Harley Davidson muffler on my 300 -----  I need to know 

I got this set up off a parts bike and going to give it a try this time around ,  the guy took a Harley muffler and welded to a 2nd gen 300 head pipe , think it is going to  be loud , it has a baffle , I am worried about having enough back pressure , so when I dunk it under it will still idle while under water  , don't think that would be an issue for you , LOL 

k+IYxbbdTs6Mink1cXV3Zw.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I got this set up off a parts bike and going to give it a try this time around ,  the guy took a Harley muffler and welded to a 2nd gen 300 head pipe , think it is going to  be loud , it has a baffle , I am worried about having enough back pressure , so when I dunk it under it will still idle while under water  , don't think that would be an issue for you , LOL 

k+IYxbbdTs6Mink1cXV3Zw.jpg

not only will it be loud ?..but it's gonna vibrate too !..rofl.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shadetree said:

not only will it be loud ?..but it's gonna vibrate too !..rofl.

Loud and vibrate.   I think I am going to like it.   Maybe it will sound like a Harley 

• Like 1

update: was out at my buds place yesterday, was able to locate a muffler !. very end is messed up, but i can fix it !. bottom is not rusted along it, so i'm pretty sure i can salvage it ?. i'll try to post some pics of it later today.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

update: was out at my buds place yesterday, was able to locate a muffler !. very end is messed up, but i can fix it !. bottom is not rusted along it, so i'm pretty sure i can salvage it ?. i'll try to post some pics of it later today.

I checked my stash.  All rotted out along the bottom seam, and all but one were rotted where the pipe goes into the muffler.  Junk.

23 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

great video, but he's working with a good outer base, most times these are what is rusted away, and when this takes place, you can not weld to anything on it, as any welding will just burn right through rusted metal.

• Like 2

i ran into that same issue on the tail end where the purge clean out port is... i made a temp cover , and cut a hole in it, that stopped the rust issue, and also allowed for the carbon to be blown out, or at least some. 

• Like 1

This my friends is why I LOVE stainless steel head pipe & aluminum mufflers! Mine won’t rot away. Eventually I’ll need to repack, but this is where its at fellas. Find a custom shop to make u one. Then add any slip on u want. Can’t be beat. I totally understand the OEM look, sound ect. But for longevity SS for the WIN

• Like 2

I've always hated how an old Honda sounded with any other exhaust than stock.

The only exception was an old Cobra. They are not high quality but it did sound good.

Have you considered looking for a 350x, 400ex, xr400, rancher, etc muffler?

If you could get a stock 400ex muffler with baffle on it that would sound amazing. The shadow muffler would probably sound great!

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i ran into that same issue on the tail end where the purge clean out port is... i made a temp cover , and cut a hole in it, that stopped the rust issue, and also allowed for the carbon to be blown out, or at least some. 

on the 300's, i just run every so often with the exhaust plug removed, never had an issue yet.... but the trx 350 ran better with back pressure, wheeler if you get a chance post pics of your setup. 

On 10/29/2020 at 9:01 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I would have tried to blow out the spark arrestor first

• Like 1