Fishfiles

Boats /Outboards

Evinrude is stopping production of outboard motors and will hang Mercurys on the back of the boats they build , wow , the end of a legend 

https://www.louisianasportsman.com/fishing/evinrude-is-ceasing-production-of-outboard-motors/

Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) announced May 27, 2020 it has re-oriented its marine business by focusing on the growth of its boat brands with new technology and innovative marine products. The company will discontinue production of Evinrude E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines. Its Sturtevant, Wisconsin facility will be repurposed for new projects to pursue BRP’s plan to provide consumers with an unparalleled experience on the water.

BRP says it remains committed to their Buy, Build, Transform Marine strategy which has been underway since 2018 with the acquisition of Alumacraft and Manitou boat companies in the U.S., followed by the acquisition of Australian boat manufacturer Telwater in 2019.

“Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately. This business segment had already been facing some challenges and the impact from the current context has forced our hand,” said José Boisjoli, President and CEO of BRP. “We will concentrate our efforts on new and innovative technologies and on the development of our boat companies, where we continue to see a lot of potential to transform the on-water experience for consumers,” he added.

Mercury Marine will supply outboards to BRP-branded boats

Following BRP’s decision to discontinue Evinrude E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines, the company has signed an agreement with market leader Mercury Marine to support boat packages and continue to supply outboard engines to their boat brands. BRP says they will continue to supply customers and dealer network service parts and will honor manufacturer limited warranties, plus offer select programs to manage inventory. These decisions will impact 650 employees globally.

With this announcement, BRP plans to position itself to expand its presence in the pontoon and aluminum fishing markets through technologically advanced solutions. They will leverage their R&D resources to enhance the boating experience with unique new marine products, such as the next generation of engine technology with Project Ghost and the next generation of pontoons with Project M, code names for new products that are expected to transform the industry.

BRP will also consolidate Alumacraft operations from two sites to one. All Alumacraft operations will be transferred to St Peter, Minnesota and the Arkadelphia, Arkansas will be permanently closed. In addition, they will upgrade the boat production facilities to reorganize manufacturing sites and apply the modularity model used elsewhere in BRP’s ecosystem.

Funny how things happen , went to the flea market this morning to meet a vender that just got back from a picker trip to Illinois , and he has this 1946 Evinrude , 2 plugs per cylinder , not sure of the horse power , he don't know what he wants for it yet , anything over $100 and I wouldn't want it  ---- I have a Evinrude 18 from the 70s that was my father in laws 

fullsizeoutput_c94.jpeg

i got a 25 hp Evinrude electro-shift, laying on the ground. payed a $100. for it many years ago. probably junk now. if i can restore it, it would be the perfect motor for my jonboat. it is a little heavy 🙂, for my jonboat. before, i ran a 51 Johnson 10 HP.

i had a 5.5 Evinrude. the person i bought it from, used 30W mix in the gas. [smoke an fumes], it ran well till i switched over to boat mix oil for gas, then properly blew up. lol

RIP

Good Boat Motor

thrown away by

CORPORATE

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

Well crap.

I have a late 60's 6 HP my great uncle gave me, and have a 9.9 with a 15HP carb from the early 70's, and another late 70's 15HP for parts

Wonder if parts are going to become impossible to find over time?  Hopefully not before I'm in the ground.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well crap.

I have a late 60's 6 HP my great uncle gave me, and have a 9.9 with a 15HP carb from the early 70's, and another late 70's 15HP for parts

Wonder if parts are going to become impossible to find over time?  Hopefully not before I'm in the ground.

I would bet the parts for the old ones were out of production along time  already -----  the 9.9 , 15 and 18 from what I have been told are all the same motor just different carbs , I been looking for the tiller handle .for a 1972 18 , Shade was suppose to get me  one from Catfish , but it never happened 

I could use the Forward/Neutral/Reverse shift lever for the '64 5.5hp above.  I have the two broken halves of the lever connected together with a piece of conduit and hose clamps.  It works but I prefer to have an unbroken lever.  If you zoom in on the pic above you can kind of see one of the hose clamps.

1 hour ago, slowindown said:

I could use the Forward/Neutral/Reverse shift lever for the '64 5.5hp above.  I have the two broken halves of the lever connected together with a piece of conduit and hose clamps.  It works but I prefer to have an unbroken lever.  If you zoom in on the pic above you can kind of see one of the hose clamps.

Ha, mine's a piece of steel bent at 90 degrees and bolted into place on my 6HP.  The factory shift levers on these things are almost always broken off.

live long enough...get to see things come n go.

I don't even know what year the old 18hp johnson sea horse was that my great uncle kept hung on the back of a little 12ft jon boat...man the hours I put on that rig...I had just moved with my family in the 9th grade (1972?) and that motor was ancient then, but it ran so strong..and i was a whoppin 115lbs..running the creeks of the low country.

that lil boat was so light, i might have had the back 5 inches of the hull in the water...sliding around curves in the creek...tons of fun... I don't know motors well enough, but i had the impression that 1970s Johnsons and Evinrudes were basically the same motor?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bighanded said:

I don't even know what year the old 18hp johnson sea horse was that my great uncle kept hung on the back of a little 12ft jon boat...man the hours I put on that rig...I had just moved with my family in the 9th grade (1972?) and that motor was ancient then, but it ran so strong..and i was a whoppin 115lbs..running the creeks of the low country.

that lil boat was so light, i might have had the back 5 inches of the hull in the water...sliding around curves in the creek...tons of fun... I don't know motors well enough, but i had the impression that 1970s Johnsons and Evinrudes were basically the same motor?

Big handed , this is a 1972 Evinrude 18 , that is actually  a 35 cover on it  and the original 18 cover is the one hanging on the stand , the cover interchange , this one was my father in laws , he had it rigged up with steering and took the tiller off and can't find it , he throws everything away , everything , he is 92 and got dementia , the wife has to check the garbage can everyday when she is there , he throws away everything , his house is empty , all the pictures on the walls are gone , even the silver ware , so they buy plastic 

This engine has sentimental value to me , father in law asked me and brother in law if either of us  wanted the whole boat , motor and trailer , and we both said no , so he sold it to the junk yard about 10 years ago , for $200 , his brother found out and went to the junk yard and got the guy to sell just the motor  back to him , he keep it in his garage for  a few years and then asked my wife if I wanted it , so I have been having it since 

I got a Nissan 4 stroke on my 14 ft Flat , My other flat is 25ft on top , 8ft wide with a Evinrude 115 -  2 stroke on it , it I ever have to replace it , I want a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke for it 

FwSKj271Sryjf6VW+CrXeg.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bighanded said:

I don't know motors well enough, but i had the impression that 1970s Johnsons and Evinrudes were basically the same motor?

Yep, same motors. 

@basfnb had a 6HP Johnson that I got running a few years ago.   Same motor as my 6HP Evinrude, both late 60's vintage.

it's funny..they talk about muscle memory... I look at that motor and my hand remembers how the gear shift lever on the side felt.

i've only had jon boats.  the motor's i used was an early, 50's Johnson 10 HP.  had more than one, swapped out parts. fore i put tabs, on the outside of the boat, i couldnt let go of the tiller handle handle, or it would toss you outside the boat. after that you could let go the handle, and the boat would track true.

the boat planed better, at the start,and run higher on top of the water. before, the nose of the boat would stick up, and ya couldnt see in front of you, when ya took off at a dead stop. they make plates you can add to the motor, to do something like this, my tabs were just added to the boat. guess ya would call it a trim tab, sorta looks like one, just different. makes a step, if you want to swim, toe grip, to get back into the jon boat.

that little 2-cycle, 10HP "from the 50's" would keep up with most boats on the water. i put a platform on the front of the boat, 2x4's, plywood on top, and my friends had a place to sit. not bad for a 14' jon boat. at the time i could drop, an pick up the boat, without a trailer, if need be "fishing". it was easier when i had the 76 ford truck. the 55 1st, didnt have as much room in the back, the bed was smaller. the 551st was a pita, to drop the boat, at Cave Run Lake. the ramp was long, an at an angle. bout 45%, no emergency brakes, and with a clutch. near the end of I-64, Cave Run, for ya get into West Virginia.

i should be on the Ky hunting an fishing forum, the tiller handle, reminded me of something. lol

one thing, was how much power the 50's, 10 HP had, over newer boat motor's.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 4:50 PM, Bighanded said:

i had an 18HP Johnson, my 10 HP Johnson would run circles around it. it might have been my 18HP Johnson. "of course, i did change the prop out, on the 10HP". i still got a prop left, from 20 years ago, that fits the 10HP. i dont have the 10HP motor anymore. the 18HP is at the bottom of the lake. i told my cousin not to go crazy, as the motor was lose, on the back of the boat, he just grinned, till the motor jumped off, he tried to grab it by the fuel line, the motor was still running, as it sunk. after it sunk, i probed for the motor, with conduit, he still wanted to fish. ya gotta love relatives, and sibling's.

Well, maybe put up with them. for peace-sake, in the family. lol

been a merc user, owner as far back as my gramp, we used to run 25 hp 2-strokes on the white river where my cabin is still at. then it came time to replace the motor, all that was around in 2010 was 4-stroke , 25 hp merc's. not impressed with it that much..still is a merc though !. great on gas..kinda sucks on get-up-an-go though !...lol. cost me around 4k cash back when i purchased it brand new.

• Like 1

Yeah I can't believe how pricey and heavy the 4 strokes are. 

I'll stick to my old late 60's/ early 70's motors.   They run great and are easy and cheap to work on.

sears is out of the marine and catalog business. that is my 1992 catalog. the prop pictured, is one of three i got during the day, and the motor pushed my boat faster, with this type of prop. i still got some pictures to show. just not today. i could handle the 10 HP motor, and i dont know which weighed more, the motor, or the gas tank when full.  i had to pump the gas tank with air, till the motor started, then it would take over., pressurize the gas tank. was no fuel pump involved.

DSCN0292.JPG

DSCN0291.JPG

Edited by LedFTed

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah I can't believe how pricey and heavy the 4 strokes are. 

I'll stick to my old late 60's/ early 70's motors.   They run great and are easy and cheap to work on.

you sure ain't lying about how heavy they are !!. i had to get my neighbor from across the street to help me put my motor on the back of my new boat back then, no way was i going to get it on there by myself !...lol. the old 2-strokes were easy to grab the handle, and tote them around...not these 4-stroke, 25 hp merc's !. 

• Like 1

Always been a Mercury fan, I have a Merc 125 (2 stroke) on my fishing boat, both are 20 years old and it runs great, never had to do anything but change spark plugs a few times. I also have a 4 stroke 9.8 Tuhatsu kicker on the back that only weighs 80lbs. Thats been a great Motor also bought it new for only $1800

I don't see a lot of Mercurys down here , in the old days ( 70-80s) you would see a lot of them , the number one outboard now days that I see is Yamaha by far , then Suzuki , then E-Tek ( Evinrude ) 

When you go down to Venice , La and look at the high dollar offshore boats , many are running 2 , 3 and some 4 of the Seven outboards , 627 HP V-8s, super charged , they are only $100,000 each , LOL 

https://www.seven-marine.com/motors/seven-627sv/

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I don't see a lot of Mercurys down here , in the old days ( 70-80s) you would see a lot of them , the number one outboard now days that I see is Yamaha by far , then Suzuki , then E-Tek ( Evinrude ) 

When you go down to Venice , La and look at the high dollar offshore boats , many are running 2 , 3 and some 4 of the Seven outboards , 627 HP V-8s, super charged , they are only $100,000 each , LOL 

Is that all $100k?  I'll take 4, 🤪  Mercury's are very popular in Michigan and we have the largest population of registered boats I'm told, with thousands of inland lakes and of course the Great Lakes.  Boats everywhere, big industrie here.  Defenetly Mercury and Yamaha seem to be the most popular.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

merc's are everywhere up here in arkansas. take a walk to the boat dock at my cabin, and you will see nothing but merc's lined all down the boats. my only regret was not being able to get a 2-stroke , 25 hp merc , this 4-stroke merc i have is just slower, and a lot heavier than the old 2-strokes. 

Dad bought a 5HP Mercury for a duck motor back in the late 80's/early 90's.  He bought Mercury over Evinrude because the Mercury has a clutch in the bottom end instead of a shear pin.

His Merc is a cold natured motor, but runs like a top once it's running.  Of course, like everything else he owns, probably doesn't have 20 hours on it.

My Evinrudes with two plugs definitely starts easier.