Fishfiles

Boats /Outboards

I got stuck a couple a times or so, on the Honda kill switch, on the Handle bars. now its stuck, proper, always on. 😁

• Haha 1

well, yesterday made it official end of summer...good cleaning of the big boat..and man was it tempting when I hauled it down to the gas station to top off the tank and put the stabil in it..it was  the last 72 degree day we'll see for a while and my mind was thinking...one more spin on the lake..but I knew I needed the day to wash and winterize instead..down into the low 30s this week...

at least I've got my old hondas to still get my throttle thrills on..but I am gonna miss the boating for the next several months..

i could see wheeler in something like that... I'm not giving you any ideas, but when i saw that pic, wheeler popped into my head. 

My rig.  '87 16.5' Alumacraft with a Honda 45 shortshaft.  Get about 36 MPH if I'm holding my mouth just right.

20200607_201109.jpg

• Like 5

The one in the lower left is my boat. 16 1/2 foot Lund Pro-V with a 60hp Yamaha motor. Picture is at my friends outpost in Canada.

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2850.JPG

• Like 5

October is always a conflict for me and not being able to get my boat time in.

we were on the lake 3 weekends ago.

but october means Fall festival concert work, a big haunted trailer party here at the house, have a grandbaby shower for the newest soon to arrive, couple of birthday parties, grand kids in soccer , so games to attend, etc...seems like the boat just has to sit on the trailer.

when the Fall leaves turn , cruising the lake is something we make a point to do, but after that, it'll be a wash and winterize and cover it all up...so I hate to see the season coming to a close.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

pocket change if you're a drug runner skirting out at night to meet an offshore trawler and running for cover into the creeks...(grin)

actually , way back when I was in high school, our small town was all a buz as the Feds busted a guy who we thought was just an insurance salesman. But he had a solid 75mph boat and would do just that...he knew the creeks, etc...so if it was just drug enforcement or local cops, he could easily outrun them.  Finally coast guard with chopper and a shot across his bow from the guard's boat brought him down.  but back in the early 1970s...his boat was a hot item to be able to turn that speed in open water.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 8:09 PM, shadetree said:

i used flat bar to bolt the main supports to the frame, then used the drops to weld on the sides of the main supports to stiffen them up, may or may not hold on the welds ?, my 110 volt wire welder is not made for 1/4 steel, plus i was running my welder on a 100 ft extension cord !..lol. 

where can ya get a good 110 stick welder, for a cheap price. 2 or 3.. had one at the elevator shop, i worked at, but that was in the 90s.

20 hours ago, Bighanded said:

pocket change if you're a drug runner skirting out at night to meet an offshore trawler and running for cover into the creeks...(grin)

actually , way back when I was in high school, our small town was all a buz as the Feds busted a guy who we thought was just an insurance salesman. But he had a solid 75mph boat and would do just that...he knew the creeks, etc...so if it was just drug enforcement or local cops, he could easily outrun them.  Finally coast guard with chopper and a shot across his bow from the guard's boat brought him down.  but back in the early 1970s...his boat was a hot item to be able to turn that speed in open water.

True ---------- back in the day  offshore speed boats were used by  drug runners , we had quite a few here out of the New Orleans Greater Area , lots of  Cigarette , Donzi , Fountain and Scarab , we had the offshore race boat circuit going on every year in  Lake Ponchartrain with the world  Famous Popeye Chicken boat driven by Al Copeland , they use to say his chicken was so good because of the " white power " batter he used , LOL , one of them Chicken boats is still parked out on Ponchartrain Blvd in Slidell 

8 hours ago, LedFTed said:

where can ya get a good 110 stick welder, for a cheap price. 2 or 3.. had one at the elevator shop, i worked at, but that was in the 90s.

i do not know bro ? i can't weld with a stick welder, i tried it back in high school..all i could do is weld the stick to the metal !..lol. i picked up wire welding very good though later in my life, i can mig weld ( wire ) very good. so i use my craftsman 90 amp wire welder to do home projects, it does pretty good with flux core, but i just wish it had more amps, for deeper penetration, i was looking at a holbart wire welder, kinda pricey, right at 1k, it can run on 120v or 230v with just swapping out the plug end. maybe for future purchase ?, i can't afford it right now. 

On 10/7/2021 at 7:23 AM, shadetree said:

i do not know bro ? i can't weld with a stick welder, i tried it back in high school..all i could do is weld the stick to the metal !..lol. i picked up wire welding very good though later in my life, i can mig weld ( wire ) very good. so i use my craftsman 90 amp wire welder to do home projects, it does pretty good with flux core, but i just wish it had more amps, for deeper penetration, i was looking at a holbart wire welder, kinda pricey, right at 1k, it can run on 120v or 230v with just swapping out the plug end. maybe for future purchase ?, i can't afford it right now. 

a G-note is a bit or more out of my budget then i want. i got a wire welder, but, ya get what ya pay for., an i did...  the feed skips..  was it 6011 or 1109, on the stick welder?, i could do fair with them. :~}

Edited by LedFTed

3 hours ago, LedFTed said:

a G-note is a bit or more out of my budget then i want. i got a wire welder, but, ya get what ya pay for., an i did...  the feed skips..  was it 6011 or 1109, on the stick welder?, i could do fair with them. :~}

haha..like i can remember back 35 yrs in high school on which rod i was using ??.that was 10th grade i think it was ?, no way to remember what rod it was !. i did how ever get the new welder i spoke of, have not tried it out yet, i did get the 220 outlet installed in my breaker box, have not tried the welder out, that time is coming in the near future though !.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

haha..like i can remember back 35 yrs in high school on which rod i was using ??.that was 10th grade i think it was ?, no way to remember what rod it was !. i did how ever get the new welder i spoke of, have not tried it out yet, i did get the 220 outlet installed in my breaker box, have not tried the welder out, that time is coming in the near future though !.

well, ya turn it one way the rod it reads 1109, if ya flip it the other way it reads 6011, durn dyslexia. Oh well.. let me know how ya do.. 35 years ago puts me in florida. a horse farm. hobeau farm. i was still walking barefoot, when i could. it was better to walk barefoot, then with shoes on. when it got to 98, you had to walk on blacktop, or sand with little fire ants. once it got over 99, ya had to wear shoes, regardless.. the blacktop heats up, but there is a threshold..

Edited by LedFTed

6011 Ted 

6011 electrode is one of the most versatile ones available on the market. It has a violent digging arc and the puddle is fast-freeze making it a good fit for beginners as well as professional welders. The size options, ability to use it in all positions, and polarity variation makes it virtually usable in all scenarios.

WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAN?

When you are in the market for electrodes you will see a lot of numbers like 6010, 6011, and 7018 and it can be pretty confusing about which one to go for first and whether you are making the right choice or not.

Let’s get the basics out of the way. While it is important to know the uses and practical aspects of using the rod, it is as important to understand what the 6011 number means. They didn’t just number the electrodes as they felt like, there is a lot of information which you can get just from the numbers.

The first two digits, that is, 6-0 conveys the tensile strength of the weld. In this case, it would translate to 60 thousand pounds of tensile strength on the final weld.

The third number tells you the position in which the rod can used. Some electrodes can only be used in certain positions, in this case, the 1 means that it is an all-position rod. On the other hand, if there is a 2 on the third position then it is suitable for flat welds as well as horizontal welds.

The last two numbers indicate the type of flux coating on the rod and this further indicates the type of current which should be used (AC, DC- or DC+).

E6011 WELDING ROD USES

6011 is one of the most common welding rods out there. Some of the best features of the rod are its ability for deep penetration, it can also be used to penetrate rust, paint, and weld on dirtier surfaces in general. The utility aspect of the rod also works in its favor. Two factors, quick cooling and being able to weld in different positions makes this electrode one of the most versatile in the market. What takes these rods to a whole different level is the fact that 6011 electrodes can also work with multiple types of welders because they run on AC, DC+, and DC-.

This rod can be used for almost anything that requires deep penetration, no matter the polarity options you have on a welder or the position you have to weld in. To name a few everyday applications, I would bring out Construction, shipbuilding, pipe welding, galvanized steel welding, and storage tanks.

6011 WELDING ROD AMPERAGE & CHARACTERISTICS

As a beginner, it is always important to check the recommended values while deciding the amperage setting to be used for a particular weld. Like any other electrode, the 6011 comes in different sizes and the amperage settings would vary depending on the size. The amperage also differs depending on the position you are going to weld in.

Let’s take the example of a 3/16” electrode, it would require 160-180 amps for vertical welds and 140-180 for the overhead position. Similar trend can be seen for the size difference. Horizontal welds for a 1/8” (3.175mm) will need about 90-140 amps while the 3/16” (4.7625mm) will need about 160-195 amps. As a rule of thumb, the amperage settings are directly proportional to the diameter of the rods you are using.

good info, there is, and i know it now, no such thing as an 1109.,,.. just gotta find i good 110v welder, an 1109 rods, 🙂🙂.. just kidding on the 1109 rod's.. was the late 80's, going into the 90's, a good friend would ave told me that, way back then. got some here,.. 6011-6013...

Edited by LedFTed

On 10/24/2021 at 1:31 AM, LedFTed said:

well, ya turn it one way the rod it reads 1109, if ya flip it the other way it reads 6011, durn dyslexia. Oh well.. let me know how ya do.. 35 years ago puts me in florida. a horse farm. hobeau farm. i was still walking barefoot, when i could. it was better to walk barefoot, then with shoes on. when it got to 98, you had to walk on blacktop, or sand with little fire ants. once it got over 99, ya had to wear shoes, regardless.. the blacktop heats up, but there is a threshold..

yep,, near close, was 1985-1987.

still editing, when i can, so my stories ring true..  //ed

Edited by LedFTed