Fishfiles

Boats /Outboards

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

merc's are everywhere up here in arkansas. 

Makes sense to me  !!!!  They need to get rid of them Merc's some where , why not Arkansas , I figure there are lots of ponds and ditches up that way , LOL 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

Is that all $100k?  

4  Sevens engines  @ $100,000 each  on the back of a 40 - 45ft $500,000 boat  , with all the electronics, accessories , a triple axle aluminum trailer and taxes and you got  a million dollar toy , I know a couple of people that have such boats , I couldn't afford to fill it up for a fishing trip as they hold $800-$1000 of gas in the tanks and can burn $600 and more a trip 

here's my boat set-up, just pulled it out too give it a pressure wash. 14 ft v-nose weldbuilt, 42 in bottom i think it is ?. bought both motor, trailer same day back in 2010, 4k for motor, about 1200+ for trailer, all paid for in cash.

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

• Like 4

that motor looks big for that boat size. does the mercury, have tilt adjustment? i only had the 2 cycle 50s Johnson 10hp. i dont think i could pick up that motor by myself. i was below 127 on the scale today. motor looks heavier than me. :~} lol

@Fishfiles ,or any body else. these tabs, though not adjustable, made a big difference in the way my boats performed. 4"x2"x4" wide. the hull is more rounded with this boat, so i mounted the tabs, closer to the motor. the tabs are at a right angle. the picture lies. they made all the difference in the world, the way my boats handles. on a flatter boat, the tabs can be moved from the transit area, to the outside of the boat this boat has too much bow at the bottom, at the back of the boat. all ya need is 1/4x4x2x how many feet you need, 8" will do 2 plates. 1/4 screws an such to attach, maybe something water proof, where it attaches to your boat. i still got 18 of those angle plates, ready to go, from 3 decades ago. plus 2 lengths,12' long,4"x2"x1/4 aluminum.🙂

DSCN0293.JPG

DSCN0294.JPG

DSCN0295.JPG

ted , I would call them non-adjustable trim tabs ,  but they are adjustable , you weld a couple of plates to a pipe and you can bend them up and down to get max performance -----  have had adjustable trim tabs on boats , electric over hydraulics , independently controlled with gauges so you know here you are at , my last Mako , I had the trim tabs with a hydraulic jack plate , which raises and lowers the engine to gain max performance , another good thing on an aluminum boat is floatation pods , which are enclosed boxes welded to the transom which give floatation and act as trim tabs 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

that motor looks big for that boat size. does the mercury, have tilt adjustment? i only had the 2 cycle 50s Johnson 10hp. i dont think i could pick up that motor by myself. i was below 127 on the scale today. motor looks heavier than me. :~} lol

yes it has tilt adjustment, no its not too big for this boat. boat is rated for up to 25 hp.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

ted , I would call them non-adjustable trim tabs ,  but they are adjustable , you weld a couple of plates to a pipe and you can bend them up and down to get max performance -----  have had adjustable trim tabs on boats , electric over hydraulics , independently controlled with gauges so you know here you are at , my last Mako , I had the trim tabs with a hydraulic jack plate , which raises and lowers the engine to gain max performance , another good thing on an aluminum boat is floatation pods , which are enclosed boxes welded to the transom which give floatation and act as trim tabs 

i never needed adjustable tabs after this, when i made my own tabs. i was on top of the water, planed out easier, and could keep up with most boats, even if they had a bigger engine, or newer boat. all these plates did, was keep the boat on top of the water, and dropped the nose down, when you started off. though they did help, with steering, if you had a tiller-steering, hands on. [course if you let go of a steering wheel, in a boat with steering, it will track true]?.

i could bait a hook, while going full speed, not touch the tiller. though it was only on straightaways on the lake.

had a wonderful day saturday on the lake, caught 35 bream, lost 3 bass ( sigh )..lol. temp was great all day, light breeze. i need to put me some outrigger guides on my trailer, way to hard to guide my 14ft boat unto my long trailer, all while getting it centered on the runners.

• Like 4

Nice you caught fish , would think you will be eating fish today , stop by the Food Channel thread and show us how fish is fried in Arkansas , LOL 

I have both the guide rollers and bunker boards on my flat , both are homemade , makes it easy loading it up 

u9O2k9aUQMKx+o9Y6WGWBQ.jpg

hjdXII99RCKuCu3Jk9BS+Q.jpg

On 6/18/2020 at 7:01 PM, LedFTed said:

@Fishfiles ,or any body else. these tabs, though not adjustable, made a big difference in the way my boats performed. 4"x2"x4" wide. the hull is more rounded with this boat, so i mounted the tabs, closer to the motor. the tabs are at a right angle. the picture lies. they made all the difference in the world, the way my boats handles. on a flatter boat, the tabs can be moved from the transit area, to the outside of the boat this boat has too much bow at the bottom, at the back of the boat. all ya need is 1/4x4x2x how many feet you need, 8" will do 2 plates. 1/4 screws an such to attach, maybe something water proof, where it attaches to your boat. i still got 18 of those angle plates, ready to go, from 3 decades ago. plus 2 lengths,12' long,4"x2"x1/4 aluminum.🙂

DSCN0293.JPG

DSCN0294.JPG

DSCN0295.JPG

i take it back, i got two lengths of channel, 12' long aluminum, i used up the angle.

Edited by LedFTed

On 6/18/2020 at 7:08 PM, Fishfiles said:

i've never seen floatation pods, or, i dont remember seeing them. i'l see if they are in the sears catalog. its an old sears marine catalog. i might have needed them in my 1st jon boat. it sat low in the water.[dont back up low, when a wake is coming low]. lol

thats when i got to fishing, after the weekend. bailing out the water, broke me of the habit of fishing on weekends and holidays.

image.png

Floatation pods come in all kinds of shapes and sizes , not only do they increase the bounancy of the boat ( which makes it a shallower drafting boat ) , they also act as trim tabs and will bring the front of the boat down when getting up on plane , keep the weight of the engine from pulling the boat down lower in the water ,  keep the boat from purposing  and allow you run at a slower speed and stay on top of the water , if you add in a cavitation plate , it makes it a mean  machine (  like pictured on the Yamaha40 in the picture above ) , I have  cavitation plates on both my boats now and they work well 

Sad to see the news about Evinrude.  I'll always have fond memories of my '87  15hp. The Evinrude/Johnson 9.9 and 15 HP motors were basically unchanged for 20 years.  They're like the Honda 300's of the outboard world, simple and reliable.  Currently, I've got a 60hp E-tec with jet drive on my Blazer SS.  Been great so far.

• Like 1

just ordered two new tires for my boat trailer, was installing guide poles, and noticed the center of the right rear tire tread was cracked !. been sitting for years, came on trailer when i purchased new in 2010. i will post pics of old tires, guide poles, when i install new tires. need to re-pack bearings as well then, may as well do all of this when i change tires. word of caution: PLEASE CHECK YOUR TRAILER TIRES FOR DRY ROT ?, TREAD WEAR ?, AND IF THEY ARE OLDER THAN 5 YEARS ?...REPLACE THEM !!!. ( no i did not have a blow out last sat, and i do not want one !..lol ).

• Like 3

Trailer problems are a bummer.  One time we pulled my boat behind a friends bronco.  Got a flat on my trailer. Had a spare but I had locks on the rims and the key was in the glove box of my bronco.  He  had nare tool in his truck.  All he had was a shackle which I would call a 12 1/2 ton size, huge one. Used the screw pin as a punch and the horseshoe part as a hammer. Was able to get the lock loose and off after beating the lock to smeather’rens.  had to get another set of locks.  

One reason I used locks on my rims.  We use to launch into the miss river at a remote back down in Buras , la.    My buddy came in from fishing and found they stole the both axles. 4 tires and rims and leaf springs off his trailer.  To add insult to injury.  You can’t dock at that launch.  It is very dangerous just launching there as ocean going ships pass in the river.  Have you ever seen the water a ship draws.  The water drops 4 ft then comes back in as 3 to 4. 4 ft waves. So he had to run the river miles to Venice and leave the boat there over night till he Went back to the city and bought all the new parts and went back and fixed the trailer.  

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Trailer problems are a bummer.  One time we pulled my boat behind a friends bronco.  Got a flat on my trailer. Had a spare but I had locks on the rims and the key was in the glove box of my bronco.  He  had nare tool in his truck.  All he had was a shackle which I would call a 12 1/2 ton size, huge one. Used the screw pin as a punch and the horseshoe part as a hammer. Was able to get the lock loose and off after beating the lock to smeather’rens.  had to get another set of locks.  

One reason I used locks on my rims.  We use to launch into the miss river at a remote back down in Buras , la.    My buddy came in from fishing and found they stole the both axles. 4 tires and rims and leaf springs off his trailer.  To add insult to injury.  You can’t dock at that launch.  It is very dangerous just launching there as ocean going ships pass in the river.  Have you ever seen the water a ship draws.  The water drops 4 ft then comes back in as 3 to 4. 4 ft waves. So he had to run the river miles to Venice and leave the boat there over night till he Went back to the city and bought all the new parts and went back and fixed the trailer.  

dang bro, i bet that sucked coming back to nothing but a boat trailer on blocks. that would be something you see in the '' hood '' around these parts..lol. i also have my spare locked to my trailer, trailer locked to ball hitch, hitch locked to truck. i MAKE SURE, that i have the key to it, 4-way lug, jack, all of it. not to worried about thieves where i park at my river, not saying they wont steal anything !!!, but i do trust this area a little. i do not go anywhere long distance ( or even short for that matter ! ) without a spare tire. etrailer shows my tires shipped, also ordered a fuel gauge for my quicksilver 6.6 gal fuel tank, tried a plastic cork to help lift the lever , lets just say plastic corks do not work in gasoline !..lol, melted like hot butter in the tank..lol. weather is still odd here, i'll post up some upgraded pic's of all this when it comes time to get-r-done !.

• Like 2

ok, here's my home made bunk boards, and some pics of my rear pole/lights, and trolling motor mount i made. still have to swap out the tires, re-pack the wheel bearings when i get time tomorrow.

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

• Like 4

Looking good , will be a lot easier lining it up on the trailer  , when picking it up out the water 

new kenda 6-ply tires installed, hubs re-packed with fresh grease.

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

• Like 2

The angle of the engine looks a lot better in that pic , would guess you are going to find out if it rides better , when you go drown some crickets this weekend ? --- 

Here is a pic of the spare tire carrier we spoke about , welded a spindle to a spare tire mount , got another hub with bearings and seals , theft protection is a cable -----  and  pic of that hitch I was trying describe  , if they pull the 3  pins , the hitch still won't come off , there is a welded pin and they can't unscrew the balls , but if they really want it , they can unscrew the nut  holding the lever to the trailer tongue , I need to tack weld that nut ----how you like that homemade turn bucket hold down 

dH7PTiBoSFWSPvUX6lsTvg.jpg

KpCJfmJhRP2aLEB32QuNeQ.jpg

xJiJNhIvRJWnTGfXgXyNzw.jpg

• Like 1