Fishfiles

Boats /Outboards

16 hours ago, shadetree said:

new kenda 6-ply tires installed, hubs re-packed with fresh grease.

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

i welded something like that to my boat trailer[it was something al right], and ran the trailer lights on the top. lets just say my welding, not so good. an i was working with angle iron. bottom story short., i never lost a light after that, the uprights, was as a guide, getting my boat on the trailer. i did have to ad a short piece, at 45 degrees to hang the lights on the trailer., i used some PVC on the sides, on the uprights. it worked out well.

Edited by LedFTed

11 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i welded something like that to my boat trailer[it was something al right], and ran the trailer lights on the top. lets just say my welding, not so good. an i was working with angle iron. bottom story short., i never lost a light after that, the uprights, was as a guide, getting my boat on the trailer. i did have to ad a short piece, at 45 degrees to hang the lights on the trailer., i used some PVC on the sides, on the uprights. it worked out well.

i used flat bar to bolt the main supports to the frame, then used the drops to weld on the sides of the main supports to stiffen them up, may or may not hold on the welds ?, my 110 volt wire welder is not made for 1/4 steel, plus i was running my welder on a 100 ft extension cord !..lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

1/4 inch steel , 110volt  wire feed MIG , hmmmm !  

X5RN2F+eRkSt2w9dU0gH1Q.jpg

yeah..if i had argon gas..and a shorter cord ?, my beads would look just as good as this ^^^ too !..lol. all i have is flux core wire, long power cord when i welded my 1/4 flat bar. as long as it stays on the trailer bars i welded them too ?, it will work. the main bars are bolted to the frame, they ain't going no where !. ( i hope ?..lol ).

My Grandmaw use to always say , " it's hard to make chicken salad when all you got is chicken ! " , LOL 

for the past 3 days now, i have been searching for the owners manual for my mercury 25 hp outboard and the safety cord, for the life of me, i can't locate either !!. i did however locate the paper work where i purchased the motor, boat, and trailer back in 3/24/2010. what i found very odd ?, is i seen on the boat trailer purchase, I DID BUY A SPARE TIRE !. where it went ?, i have no clue !!. other than some ones hands maybe a few years back ?!..lol. pretty sure i did not have it locked to the trailer back then when i made a trip to the river at the cabin ?..oh well..crap happens. has spare back on trailer, AND LOCKED ON IT !. so back to the owners manual for my motor. still can not find it ?, decided to just down load it, and print it all out, ( 132 double sided pages !..lol ). now where did i put that dang safety cord ?? ( not that i use it !..lol ). its prob in the same spot my owners manual is ??..rofl.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:19 PM, Fishfiles said:

My Grandmaw use to always say , " it's hard to make chicken salad when all you got is chicken ! " , LOL 

you sure that didn't come from the Forest Gump movie? i heard a different story., ya cant pack a gallon of chicken hits in a quart jar. lol

i got a 6HP sailor motor in the shed, it was running the last time i had it out. been sitting for a while, though it sets deep in the water, the only market i got is a sail boat market. less someone wants a  2-cycle trolling motor.

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

for the past 3 days now, i have been searching for the owners manual for my mercury 25 hp outboard and the safety cord, for the life of me, i can't locate either !!. i did however locate the paper work where i purchased the motor, boat, and trailer back in 3/24/2010. what i found very odd ?, is i seen on the boat trailer purchase, I DID BUY A SPARE TIRE !. where it went ?, i have no clue !!. other than some ones hands maybe a few years back ?!..lol. pretty sure i did not have it locked to the trailer back then when i made a trip to the river at the cabin ?..oh well..crap happens. has spare back on trailer, AND LOCKED ON IT !. so back to the owners manual for my motor. still can not find it ?, decided to just down load it, and print it all out, ( 132 double sided pages !..lol ). now where did i put that dang safety cord ?? ( not that i use it !..lol ). its prob in the same spot my owners manual is ??..rofl.

Some motors have the pull rope stashed away under the cover 

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Some motors have the pull rope stashed away under the cover 

nope, as many times as i've had the cowl off ?, i would have seen it there !..lol.

my 25 merc had it in the large plastic bag that the manual was in...and Lord help me if I needed to find that thing right now.. I know I kept it...but I've got no clue where I stuffed it 6 years back....that's just how I operate...'badly"  grin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bighanded said:

my 25 merc had it in the large plastic bag that the manual was in...and Lord help me if I needed to find that thing right now.. I know I kept it...but I've got no clue where I stuffed it 6 years back....that's just how I operate...'badly"  grin

lol, try remembering where you put that bag 10 yrs back ?!..lol. i did find the bag..was in my attic, manual was in it, but no laynard cord ?!..aghhh !!..lol. 

Find a old lawn mower and cut the rope and handle off of it 

Believe it or not my 125 merc has a pull rope under the cowling. This is a 4 cylinder engine. I have never removed it nor do I ever intend to use it. I can’t imagine that it would be remotely possible to pull that rope on this beast. I think it’s hilarious that it’s there and Mercury actually thinks it’s possible to pull start it. If the battery can’t get it to fire the stupid rope won’t. If the battery goes dead then I will switch it out with the trolling motor battery or fire up my kicker and cruz back to the launch with that. 

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Find a old lawn mower and cut the rope and handle off of it 

i think you got your ropes mixed up ?, my pull cord is still on the motor, what i am missing is the safety laynard cord, it kills the motor when the operator gets tossed out of the boat.

1 hour ago, 01RUBY500 said:

Believe it or not my 125 merc has a pull rope under the cowling. This is a 4 cylinder engine. I have never removed it nor do I ever intend to use it. I can’t imagine that it would be remotely possible to pull that rope on this beast. I think it’s hilarious that it’s there and Mercury actually thinks it’s possible to pull start it. If the battery can’t get it to fire the stupid rope won’t. If the battery goes dead then I will switch it out with the trolling motor battery or fire up my kicker and cruz back to the launch with that. 

my 25 hp merc is a 4-stroke, and its pretty easy to pull start.

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

i think you got your ropes mixed up ?, my pull cord is still on the motor, what i am missing is the safety laynard cord, it kills the motor when the operator gets tossed out of the boat.

They are kind of strict of wearing the safety kill cord down here on tiller engine with less than 70 HP , notice the Swamp People don't wear them as they are all 70 HP engines 

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

Hi: The cord maybe missing but the piece that the cord was tied to must be on the motor or the motor doesn't have a kill switch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi: The cord maybe missing but the piece that the cord was tied to must be on the motor or the motor doesn't have a kill switch.

I was thinking the same thing Mel , it shouldn't start with out it , but I am no Mercury guy 

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

my 25 hp merc is a 4-stroke, and its pretty easy to pull start.

I had a 25hp merc years ago that was a easy pull start also. But this 125hp 2 stroke??? Noooo 

Notice the ridges on the bottom of my boat , new boats the ridges are 12 to 16 to 18 inches apart , the bottom is 5/16 inch plate , sides 1/4 plate , they don't make many like this no more -----   my buddy has a boat built by the same people, Custom Flats out of Taco , La.  , his  has what is called ice skates , 3 fins , two smaller ones on the out side and a larger one in the middle , really helps in turns to not slide , but it will scrape the  bottom in shallow water , I had the boat in the shop a few years back getting some welding and asked him to install them , but he wanted the engine off the boat to flip it over to do it , so I blew it off , Butch died a few years back in a terrible accident , he was my go to guy for boat welding as he built this boat back in 1978 , he was loading a bush hog onto a barge to cut hunting grounds , he was by himself , the tractor rolled and he got pinned under the tractor in the water and drowned 

zlwP2SpGTkWZuQwChMF%dA.jpg

5 hours ago, Melatv said:

the cord is coiled, it has snap rings on the end, looks just like this ---> https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Marine-Safety-Lanyard-8M0092849/dp/B01K4UXJ2Q/ref=asc_df_B01K4UXJ2Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312061157224&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2098542373599041005&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1013307&hvtargid=pla-569702153741&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=57630531050&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312061157224&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2098542373599041005&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1013307&hvtargid=pla-569702153741 . my manual start cord ( pull starter cord ) is on the flywheel, sticking out of the cowl.

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I was thinking the same thing Mel , it shouldn't start with out it , but I am no Mercury guy 

you do not have to have this cord attached to the kill switch in order for the mercury motor to run, all you need to do is flip the switch up, and it stays there. once the safety card is attached to the switch, and the other end attached to the operator, if he/she gets thrown from the boat ?, its suppose to flip the switch down, when this takes place ?, it kills the engine instantly. when i ride my jet ski, it has something like it also, keeps the ski from driving off into the sunset on its own...lol. us coast guard require you to have it attached to you at all times when riding jet ski's.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

I had a 25hp merc years ago that was a easy pull start also. But this 125hp 2 stroke??? Noooo 

yeah, i had a 2-stroke ( thats all me and my dad ever ran back then ), it was very easy to pull start. as for a 125hp ?, yeah...NO !..LOL.

Got some billboard signs like on side the Interstate  , cut one to fit over my fresh water boat , that last storm tore up the boat top  going to trim it a bit more then figure how I am going to strap it down ---- it is some pretty tuff stuff , it does  cuts easy with a brand new blade 

STynVWh%Sc+6Nk8fRo6pDA.jpg

QKmI7gH5TWSthmo4SswCjw.jpg

• Like 5

i tend to clip the "person" end of mine up high on the fishfinder mount or somehwere that the various law enforcement can see that I have it...but we're on a 22ft so it's not a requirement to have it physically attached to my body all the time.

story about that kill switch...we were on our way back in from a scuba dive about 7 miles out from shore key largo area and the engine dies..could not figure out what was wrong..finally had to call Sea Tow to haul our butts in...after he got us back to dock he was curious too, so we opened the hatch again and poked around..finally he said...let's pop the kill switch from the dash...I hot wired it and engine kicked right over..darn switch had gone bad..couldn't find a replacement that day, so left it hot wired for the next 3 years (grin)...put a new one on when I had the new motor installed.

image1.jpeg

• Like 2