TRX Student

Backwards Oil Filter

A local buddy of mine had wheel bearings and an oil change done at the local garage. Mechanic finished the job, drove around and called my buddy.

Buddy walked to the garage and drove home with it. Near his house, engine started to make a lot of noise, and sort of locked up and stalled. Took it home.

I poked around it, then checked the oil filter, it was in backwards. Fairly certain the damage is done, from driving it about 6-7 miles before it stalled. It will not start, and makes ungodly noises that say stop trying to start me.

I've been asked to sort it out by the garage.

Just wondering from the experts here, what usually goes wrong/burns up from a backwards oil filter.

Its a 2011 foreman 500 footshift.

Edited by TRX Student

It seems to me it will need a new head, cam shaft, cylinder, piston and rings, but I won't know for sure until I get inside and inspect.

Well that sucks.  I'd tear it down and check it out.  I'd say your right, will probably need a bore, new piston and rings at a minimum.  The bottom end would get lubrication from the crank slinging oil around, and with the cam in the bottom end I would think it would be ok.  If it wasn't run more than that I would think the head and rockers would probably be ok too, but will likely definitely need a bore and new piston. 

Did you take pics when you took the oil filter cover off?  Hopefully the shop owner is honest and will own up to what they did.

Edited to add, reread your post.  So the shop owner is having you take care of it.  Glad to see he's honest.  I'd check the head and rockers over closely, but I would think they would be ok if it wasn't ridden long.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TRX Student said:

A local buddy of mine had wheel bearings and an oil change done at the local garage. Mechanic finished the job, drove around and called my buddy.

Buddy walked to the garage and drove home with it. Near his house, engine started to make a lot of noise, and sort of locked up and stalled. Took it home.

I poked around it, then checked the oil filter, it was in backwards. Fairly certain the damage is done, from driving it about 6-7 miles before it stalled. It will not start, and makes ungodly noises that say stop trying to start me.

I've been asked to sort it out by the garage.

Just wondering from the experts here, what usually goes wrong/burns up from a backwards oil filter.

Its a 2011 foreman 500 footshift.

what could be wrong ??,  complete engine damage is what could have happened !. pretty much the whole top end has to be checked out, nothing should be left untouched at this point. putting the oil filter in backwards is like running your car/truck with no oil !!!, it wont end well..lol.

• Like 1

Might need a crankshaft too. Topend will definitely be junk. It should be split to clean it up so you'll learn as ya go....

I would force the dealer to fix it and eat it😡.

This wasn't a dealer error, but a mechanic who doesn't have experience with atvs. I know him, and he realized his mistake. Garage is willing to pay for parts and labour. Will likely be digging into it this morning. Im worried about the bottom end, gears and such. If I have able to get all four wheels off the ground and cycle through the gears, would this be a good way to troubleshoot problems in the bottom end without splitting the case?

9 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

This wasn't a dealer error, but a mechanic who doesn't have experience with atvs. I know him, and he realized his mistake. Garage is willing to pay for parts and labour. Will likely be digging into it this morning. Im worried about the bottom end, gears and such. If I have able to get all four wheels off the ground and cycle through the gears, would this be a good way to troubleshoot problems in the bottom end without splitting the case?

you can check the condition of the crank/rod without splitting the cases. deff need to inspect the rod at the top and bottom for damage !.

• Like 2

Cylinder looks salvageable, but not something that can be done here I don’t think. 

Rings and piston are shot.

wrist pin is seized.

No play in the shaft.

Guess it’s not as bad as it could have been.95D2BB38-E8A6-4CD5-905D-09AA5CFBA3E3.jpeg

60B2E3ED-21FB-42E4-A0B8-0C6D88DD4063.jpeg

F1C3A39B-8BAF-43F7-887C-5D18D8C1C39C.jpeg

94F954D6-44D4-4852-AF83-43379A73C209.jpeg

06D06EBF-F6FD-4C66-8F67-BDFA3B28DD40.jpeg

This is probably your worst case scenario. 

Hopefully with the limited run time the crank slinging oil around the bottom end kept you from any damage there. 

• Like 2

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

This is probably your worst case scenario. 

Hopefully with the limited run time the crank slinging oil around the bottom end kept you from any damage there. 

Ya, I watched that yesterday actually. The atv is rolling in neutral just fine. I’ll make sure I can cycle through the gears though.

• Like 2

TRX...is that green grass i see? Where is all the snow?? 😄

If they are going to pay, let them. 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

TRX...is that green grass i see? Where is all the snow?? 😄

If they are going to pay, let them. 👍

Snow is just about all gone finally! So now all the atvs are coming out and people are calling me. ! I'm busy.

• Like 1

Boy if there is damage to the transmission, gears and crank as well it seems like a new motor would be faster and cheaper after you consider the labor costs too.

Edited by 01RUBY500
  • Like 1