Pampas56

91 Fourtrax Left engine cover

I have a small leak on the engine cover gasket on my little Fourtrax and want to change the gasket.

I can't find any procedures on the internet, the closest is for a FWD 300.

Can anyone point me to a written R&R list for a 91 Fourtrax 200?  Or maybe some insights on what to expect when I try to take it apart.

I am very good with tools and do most of my own repairs and maintenance.  Just a little nervous because this will be my first foray into a motorcycle engine.

Thanks

Steve   

The leak is just to the left of the sprocket about 10 o'clock on the cover.

The second picture is of the cover I need to remove.  I know the starter is there, but don't know what else is under the cover.

IMG_20200602_111537.jpg

IMG_20200602_111525.jpg

• Like 1

I'd go a head and pull the chain, and drive sprocket off ... it's not a big deal ... then get a better look ... however ... i have seen those chains run loose and eat into the housing ... 

• Like 2

I've already pulled them once to find the leak. A new chain and sprocket set should be here tomorrow.

The leak is on the seam between the case and cover.  I just need to know how to get the cover off without incident.

Yes, I have pinpointed EXACTLY where the leak is.  That is not the issue.

I just need to know how to get the cover off the easiest way with no problems.

Steve

wish i could be of more help, so .. .. ill step back and let the experts handle this ... it looks like the engine (from what i see) may (QUESTION MARK) may need to be split .... I'd drop shadetree, jeep, or fish a note ... 

From where you point to the leak , my guess would be the chain was run loose from not periodically adjusting the chain  and ate the case , very common problem ,  if that turns out to be the problem , there are chain case protectors for some models , which may help it from happening again in the future ----   get a manual , here are a couple of pics of how it is put together 

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying but the case and cover are in pristine shape.  I am looking at a simple gasket failure.

Is there an on-line manual for that old a machine or can you point me to a place to buy a manual?

Thanks

Steve

yeah... it never worked (from day one) for me ether ... but i have the bible shop book... I've always prefered shop papaer shop manuals ... i have one on every machine i own, and most machines my pop owns ... the johndeer books are about 4 inches thic ... lol! 

you can spend some big $$ for some of those books .. the worst was a book on l model toyota diesel $175 ... for that 81 pickup i owned .... Haynes , and clymer didn't even come close to holding a candle to it ... nether did chilton...

Edited by _Wilson_™

Thank you.

The site has the pertinent info and I was able to send it to my tablet.

I agree that a hard copy is preferable to a digital copy.  After I fix these problems I will explore the options for printing the manual to a three ring binder and saving the digital info to a thumb drive or SD card.

I am on my way to fixing the quad.  I will TRY to update when I finish.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Steve 

• Like 3

OK.  I found the problem.

Someone repaired this break and did not do a very good job.  I was cleaning with alcohol and the piece just fell out.

I am going to try to fill it with JB Weld.  Hopefully I can get a reasonable surface to seal this up.

Steve

IMG_20200603_144058_1.jpg

• Like 1

JBWeld is good , MinuteMend to me is better  ---remember to keep the chain adjusted and don't run it loose , if a case protector is available for that model , I would invest in one , maybe the fix was ok and it got hit again and knocked it loose 

• Like 1

i have never had good luck with jb weld on oil leaks. i know you wont like my answer ?, but if it were mine, i would just replace that side case with a better one, but good luck trying to locate one that isn't already busted in the same spot !.

• Like 1

thanks for the update ..... I'm not against patching ..(never had much luck with it myself)  well..... let me put that another way ( as a last resort) ... I'd try and find a good replacement , but as shade said finding parts for those old girls are d--n near impossible !! you might post in the wanted thread .. 

https://atvhonda.com/forum/20-for-sale-trade-wanted/

I am hoping it lasts at least tonight.  We use it in the pits at the racetrack.  If so, I can look for parts or try ?Minutemend.

I shaved it down as close as I could and put some Hi-Temp RTV sealant on there to fill in what I could.  Also layed a bead on the outside of the seam. 

Now it's just wait for things to set and if it holds running to get the mail, I will load it up and off to the races.

I am not sure that I would have the confidence to split the case and replace the broken half.  If it comes to it, I have a friend who TIGs aluminum and he could probably build it up enough for me to dremel the case back into shape.

Wish me luck

Steve    

I am researching the last resort option of replacing the left crankcase half.  The items I find on E-Bay are all mid-late80s engines.  What is compatible to the 91 TRX200 engine?

49 minutes ago, Pampas56 said:

I am researching the last resort option of replacing the left crankcase half.  The items I find on E-Bay are all mid-late80s engines.  What is compatible to the 91 TRX200 engine?

go to partzilla , put in your model , find the part you need , click on that part number and it will take you to the interchange , you'll see it is trx200 and the years that interchange , copy and paste that part number and stick onebay , google and amazon , if something comes up , look at the atv they say interchange with that part 

Hey , I am not endorsing using Partzilla above  , the part is  no longer available any ways as OEM  , I  to use Partzilla  for their parts break down , their parts break downs are better than Rocky Mountain to me ,  I had about enough of  Partzilla  myself with shipping delays after my last order  

• Like 1