Pampas56

91 Fourtrax Left engine cover

11 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Hey , I am not endorsing using Partzilla above  , the part is  no longer available any ways as OEM  , I  to use Partzilla  for their parts break down , their parts break downs are better than Rocky Mountain to me ,  I had about enough of  Partzilla  myself with shipping delays after my last order  

i tried to tell you, and everyone here...partzilla sucks big green ones now !..lol. ( but they do have a better parts break down though than rocky mountain atv ).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i tried to tell you, and everyone here...partzilla sucks big green ones now !..lol. ( but they do have a better parts break down though than rocky mountain atv ).

I got to ask : What is a "big green one " ? Wondering  if we  have big green ones  down here in the flood zone !!!  Any one got John of Arch's phone number , she might have to pick us up this weekend ..... 

The JB Weld fix didn't work.  It made the trip to the mailbox and left a trail of oil back to the house.  JB Weld may work as a bonding agent or crack filler, but is no good as filler material.

Plan B is to make a plug out of Quick Steel and glue it in with Hi-Temp RTV sealant.  I think this may work, as I have all week to do the job instead of 2 days before the races.  Also I took the tank and seat off the quad so I could lay it on its side.  Easier to work on and gravity is my friend.  

Plan C is swapping the case half out.  Don't really want to go this route, but may have no choice.  I did find a complete crankcase on E-Bay for 45 bucks from a 91 TRX 200. 

If it comes to splitting the motor, I will  probably be asking for help and insights, as I have never opened up a motorcycle engine before.

I will update Thursday  maybe with pictures.

Steve

When you are getting structural with the JBWeld and similar putties , use screen from a screen window to give it strength and hold it in place 

First picture is the hole cleaned and ready for the plug.  Note the plug sitting on the left.

IMG_20200610_205650.jpg

Next is the plug test fitted in the case. 

IMG_20200610_205626.jpg

Last is the plug glued in with Hi-Temp RTV sealant.

IMG_20200610_210419.jpg

Now it is just waiting at least 24 hours to give the stuff time to set up as best as it can.  Then re-assembly and hope this holds.

The good side is that I have the time to do it better.  The first attempt was a rush to get it done for the races.

IMG_20200602_111537.jpg

I don't know how the last picture got in there.  Just ignore it.

A side note- the editor and I have a hard time communicating.  When I want it to do something it doesn't want to, but it will randomly add its own input.  Removing the stuff is ! near impossible.

Steve

Pampas , I have a buddy owns a welding / machine shop , I know he could TIG the missing section and grind it back to shape , he charges $100 per hour and that looks like a $100 job to me ---there has to be a welding shop around you , if your repair don't hold , try a welding shop 

I filed the surface with some fine jeweler files that i had laying around to give it the flattest/smoothest finish I could.  

IMG_20200611_061146.jpg

This is the easy way to work on the fix.  I might put it like this to put the new chain and sprockets on as well.

IMG_20200611_061220.jpg

I am going to assemble the cover after breakfast and leave the whole thing alone until tomorrow morning.  The waiting will be the hardest part.

Steve

It worked!  The plug held and the gasket that I re-used sealed just fine.  I spent yesterday running it around after I replaced the chain and sprockets and had NO drips under the quad.

Then I spent my spare time trying to clean up the oil stains that developed everywhere I had been parking it.

I owe Wilson and Fish an apology.  You two nailed it when you said it was a broken case.  I just couldn't see it until I pulled the cover.

Thanks again!

Steve 

• Like 1

Hey fish I'm pretty sure I sent u some messages. This is koolaid. Pleaze hit me up. Thanks bro

• Like 1