jeepwm69

Put new tires on my riding mower, now it doesn't turn

Weird thing.  Put new tires on the front of my old John Deere from the 80's.  Now when I try to turn, the wheels turn, but the front tires don't seem to bite and the mower just keeps pushing straight ahead even though the front wheels are cut to one side or the other.

Tried airing the tires down to give them more bite, but then they go flat. 

So did I just get tires that are too slick or what?  Anyone have any suggestions on a remedy?

• Like 1

hm.... got me on this one ...  any chance these have a dif lock like the big brothers do ?? 

Edited by _Wilson_™

That is pretty much how it behaves, but nope.  Just has a couple of spindles with push on wheels held in place by a circlip.

It's a hydrostatic drive rear, and I have two of them.  The other one steers great.

Maybe I should swap the front tires on them and see if it changes anything......

Too much weight on the rear? 😛 Kidding!!!! 

It has to be something like that, unless its totally different rubber compound.

maybe the hydro messed up ? and that ^^^ I've seen some bad multi rib equipment tires ... but to push straight .. when the spindles turn, and the steering mechanism works good ... you got me on this one ... dang you! jeep... lol ... I'd like to hear fishes thoughts on this .. cause you know there going to out there .. lol 

47 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

Too much weight on the rear? 😛 Kidding!!!! 

It has to be something like that, unless its totally different rubber compound.

I have gained my covid 19....lol

Maybe I need to take some video.

• Like 1

I am trying to understand  the problem.  You changed the front tires and rims ?   Used the same size tire and rim.? And not it won’t steer left or right. ? 

• Like 1

maybe a smaller diameter tire letting the deck drag some by the deck gauge wheels. 

this makes me think of a great new thread baffle us if you can .... or mechanical brain teasers ... 

16 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I am trying to understand  the problem.  You changed the front tires and rims ?   Used the same size tire and rim.? And not it won’t steer left or right. ? 

Put new tires on this mower (stock size tires) and now when I turn the wheels, the mower tries to keep going in a straight line.  

Maybe I need to check and see if the deck is dragging like Wilson is saying.  I guess if I have the deck picked up and it turns normally that's my answer.

• Like 2

jeep being you delt with tractors .... and farming equipment .... one cure might work ? adding fluid or chains to those new tires ?? at least I'd think so... and the plus side is ... no extra weight on the axel pivot , or steering mechanics ... just an ideas .... we always had fluid in the rear tires... (sure didnt make for a good ride) but some farmers have fluid front and back...

I'm curious as to what the issue is. 

On 6/2/2020 at 12:25 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Weird thing.  Put new tires on the front of my old John Deere from the 80's.  

Hey @jeepwm69

Is it a 110

or 120

or 140?

On 6/4/2020 at 10:59 AM, jeepwm69 said:

112L.  1985.  One year only mower.

What changed the front tires from biting the ground? over aired? made in china? tires too hard? just thinking out loud, and writing also.

Edited by LedFTed

On 6/13/2020 at 12:32 AM, LedFTed said:

What changed the front tires from biting the ground? over aired? made in china? tires too hard? just thinking out loud, and writing also.

Well the starter is out on it right now, and the updated part number required some other changes (longer battery cable, solenoid moved from under battery to being on the starter, needed longer mounting bolts etc).  Gotta pick up a longer cable today and I should have it running again.  Then I'm going to dig into the non-steering issue a little more.  I'm guessing these are chinese tires that are hard rubber.

• Like 1

If yall haven't figured it out yet, I gots the ADD.  I tend to jump around working on things.  LOL

Been using Dad's new Ferris zero-turn (took me from 2.5 hours with this old JD to about 25 minutes with the Ferris mowing my yard) so haven't used this one lately.

Then Dad got all weird again and said I had too many weeds in my yard, and that if I used his mower without pulling them, the weed seeds would stick to the mower, fall off in his yard, and sprout (keep in mind he has the worst looking yard in the neighborhood, spends all day, every day, trying to hand pick weeds on an acre+ lot).

So I pulled this old 112L out and mowed with it again.  I pulled the deck up and did a few turns and,  surprise, surprise, it turns like a champ with the deck up.  Looks like I need to adjust the deck position.  When I got the mower the deck was hanging loose.  I'll look at the other 112L I have and set the adjusting pins in the same spots, see if it helps.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Been using Dad's new Ferris zero-turn (took me from 2.5 hours with this old JD to about 25 minutes with the Ferris mowing my yard) so haven't used this one lately.

Then Dad got all weird again and said I had too many weeds in my yard, and that if I used his mower without pulling them, the weed seeds would stick to the mower, fall off in his yard, and sprout (keep in mind he has the worst looking yard in the neighborhood, spends all day, every day, trying to hand pick weeds on an acre+ lot).

OMG! Your Dad sounds like me!  LOL!  What do you think of that Ferris?  I've been looking at one of those. How good do they mow on bumpy ground?

15 minutes ago, Outnback said:

OMG! Your Dad sounds like me!  LOL!  What do you think of that Ferris?  I've been looking at one of those. How good do they mow on bumpy ground?

Well it's still rough as heck, but apparently not as rough as other brands.

Of course, when you're mowing 5 times faster than normal, it's going to be a little bumpier!

Like it a lot so far, but haven't used it but 3-4 times.  Been dry here for the last month so my zoysia hasn't needed mowing.

• Like 3

I don't know , Shade might get on me for being off topic , LOL but this is a lawn mower thread , eh !!! 

But I just put some new Gator blades on my 54 Husqvarna and Man  it does a better job and it doesn't even change pitch when you hit the high grass , you ever use them dare Gator blades , they got them crocodile teeth on the back side facing up , got about a year and a half on the old blades and they are trashed , not worth sharpening 

• Like 1

those back teeth (i reckon that's a good word for them)  are what does the mulching ..another plus is they hold an edge for along time! 

Then Dad got all weird again and said I had too many weeds in my yard, and that if I used his mower without pulling them, the weed seeds would stick to the mower, fall off in his yard, and sprout

lol! actually he does have a point ... on the trasfer of seeds ... but really, that's a hay Field issue ... the seeds collect ontop of the cutter tarp, on disc mowers, and ontop ontop on the disc bine body cover .... along with bush hogs ... then of corse when you move to another farm... the seeds ride with the equipment ...  a few years ago... there was a big issue with vetch .... spreading due ... to farmers not cleaning the seeds off... 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

those back teeth (i reckon that's a good word for them)  are what does the mulching ..another plus is they hold an edge for along time! 

lol! actually he does have a point ... on the trasfer of seeds ... but really, that's a hay Field issue ... the seeds collect ontop of the cutter tarp, on disc mowers, and ontop ontop on the disc bine body cover .... along with bush hogs ... then of corse when you move to another farm... the seeds ride with the equipment ...  a few years ago... there was a big issue with vetch .... spreading due ... to farmers not cleaning the seeds off... 

I have a buddy with a lawn service.  I fix his Hondas, he sprays my yard.

He hasn't broken anything on his Hondas this year, so I didn't get the yard sprayed!