Dredd

Swisher 44 Rough Cut in action

Well after 2 years of being disassembled, I put my mower back together and  put it to work. Seems to be working well. Pics arent great but I tried to get a b4 and after sorta dynamic. These mowers are a beast if anyone is considering buying one

20200529_204702.jpg

20200604_141502.jpg

20200604_151707.jpg

20200604_151703.jpg

20200604_141505.jpg

20200604_141718.jpg

20200604_143920.jpg

20200604_141541.jpg

20200604_141906.jpg

• Like 7

Interesting. I have a DR tow behind.  Its configuration is much like your Swisher.   It cuts anything, a beast too, but the ATV and mower wheels lay the grass down, and the mower doesn't have "lift".  Result is going over it at least twice, and/or in the opposite direction.  Looks like DR no longer makes this configuration, as your and mine were made.

Does the Swisher have lift to the knocked down grass?

The thicker the better for this mower. It will cut dense grass/hay, when I do I lower it till it's pretty well dragging on the ground and have found when doing hay/grass to go as fast as the terrain will allow. I average 10-12 km/hr doing fields that are just dense grass. Its arguable it's hard on the bike towing it going that fast lol, but I've been doing my 20 acres cleared land for 10 plus years now and she never skipped a beat. Basiclly, 1st gear for the heavy stuff, 2nd for hay fields. The land I have is on the base/side of a mountain, parts of it is very steep(too steep for tractor) and although the mower is only splash lubrication it also has never skipped a beat. I believe that depending on where you live and what kind of grass it is makes a big difference. My bike will lay the fields over a bit but they spring back up on there own  lol. Probably just the type of vegetation I would guess. 

Edited by Dredd

20 hours ago, Dennis said:

Interesting. I have a DR tow behind.  Its configuration is much like your Swisher.   It cuts anything, a beast too, but the ATV and mower wheels lay the grass down, and the mower doesn't have "lift".  Result is going over it at least twice, and/or in the opposite direction.  Looks like DR no longer makes this configuration, as your and mine were made.

Does the Swisher have lift to the knocked down grass?

does dr not offer a high lift (vacum) blade option ? 

No, just standard blades.  Because they pivot between the drive and the end of the blade, to swing free of a heavy obstacle, I suspect that is why they don't want too much lift.  Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

No!  Just a single bar, two swinging blades on each end.

I like that Swisher design!  Much better it would appear anyway.

i get what you talking about, no disk .... that would be the same setup  as a heavy hinge blade setup (none stump jumper model)  on a multi blade (timed gear box) brush hog ... kinda of like turbo twisters setup ... uses a blade like this ? or close ? 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

Yeah!  But this seems to have more of a lift wing.  Is that a Swisher part?  What model?

I'll be glad to look the part up, do you have a model number of your machine ... and some pics of the old blades ?? 

that was just a google image ...  are you looking for stock dr blades , because i think gator blades might ?? have a high lift mulcher set ... and i say MIGHT ....  (it's listed here some place just search the word > gator < )  ... my guess is they will not be cheep! but very effective ... i have a set on my itty bitty snapper ... lt15/38 ... and i have black walnuts ... too many to gather ... lol 

Edit: here's the contact information 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

These are what mine are like.  I am pretty sure this is the blade kit they have now..  Also in the Q&As, they say:

Q.Is this the blade kit for the DR Field and Brush Mower Pro Max 52T? Can I order extra bolts and nuts? Will the heavy duty blade kit also fit/ work on my Pro Max 52T?

A.Thank you for your question. This blade kit is for the TB1 models of Tow Behind Field and Brush Mower. It would not work with our current models of Tow Behind Field and Brush Mowers.

https://www.drpower.com/Power-Equipment/Field-%26-Brush-Mowers/Accessories/Tow-Behind-Field-%26-Brush-Mowers-Accessories/Tow-Behind-Field-%26-Brush-Mower-Blades/Blade-Kit/p/000000000000228981

My Parts Catalog doesn't have a kit, just single blades, and that blade p/n is 221211, qty 2

They don't make my style anymore, they've gone to the Swisher style.